• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So getting back to the action, back up on the bench and the rear swingarm fitted up, and the fuel tank positioned accordingly.

Bonus is after the move, the exciting new background decor, that includes my microwave and fridge, water cooler and lunchtime seating.

View attachment 25241

I'm quite fond of the '3 bend' side roll bars, will give an open version a sleek look I think
Yes sir…. That 3 bend roll bars should look sharp on the roadster. Really look forward to seeing the two models…

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now Mark has stated several times he isn't looking for deposits and that he is financially able to finish his project without help. Still, it would be interesting to have a poll to see if he did decide to go public, would you be willing to invest? I had shares of Elio Motors but sold them making enough profit to cover my $100 all in. (I was too chicken to put $1000 in). However, Mark is communicating and showing promise. I would definitely consider investing in his project. Anybody else?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now Mark has stated several times he isn't looking for deposits and that he is financially able to finish his project without help. Still, it would be interesting to have a poll to see if he did decide to go public, would you be willing to invest? I had shares of Elio Motors but sold them making enough profit to cover my $100 all in. (I was too chicken to put $1000 in). However, Mark is communicating and showing promise. I would definitely consider investing in his project. Anybody else?

I'm not sure why I would need investments, I might ask for deposits later on, but ONLY AFTER THE CAR IS IN PRODUCTION. Simple reason is the deposits help to pay for the materials ordered for that build, and that helps me to keep the costs down.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure why I would need investments, I might ask for deposits later on, but ONLY AFTER THE CAR IS IN PRODUCTION. Simple reason is the deposits help to pay for the materials ordered for that build, and that helps me to keep the costs down.
Love it…. This is so refreshing and good to hear. This, along with his work, effort and constant communication… makes me a believer. Go BEX!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rear shock top mount today;

The CNC dxf file

swingarm dxf.jpg

The laser cutting ..

The resulting top rear shock mount;

swingarm 2.jpg

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rear shock top mount today;

The CNC dxf file

View attachment 25250

The laser cutting ..

The resulting top rear shock mount;

View attachment 25249
Sure hope this entire set-up is "beefy" enough to handle the constant abuse of a 1300lbs (just guessing) beating down from the rear tire mount but......we know you know what you're doing Mark so carry on! :clap2:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sure hope this entire set-up is "beefy" enough to handle the constant abuse of a 1300lbs (just guessing) beating down from the rear tire mount but......we know you know what you're doing Mark so carry on! :clap2:

Well lets say 65/35 front rear distribution, 35% of 1,300lbs is 455 lbs, multiply times 10 for a 10g pothole hit, and we are looking at 4,550lbs, plus 1.5 safety margin, lets call it 7,000lbs.

I am using a 14mm (9/16ths) grade 8.8 bolt with a shear capacity of 18,000lbs, I think I'm good :-)

And yes, the brackets are also well and truly strong enough.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well lets say 65/35 front rear distribution, 35% of 1,300lbs is 455 lbs, multiply times 10 for a 10g pothole hit, and we are looking at 4,550lbs, plus 1.5 safety margin, lets call it 7,000lbs.

I am using a 14mm (9/16ths) grade 8.8 bolt with a shear capacity of 18,000lbs, I think I'm good :-)

And yes, the brackets are also well and truly strong enough.
I did my own calculations and I came up with the same results as yours Mark! Yeah right :ranger::lol: On a serious note my confidence on your ability to get 'er done in the timeframe were we can still legally drive is growing.

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you have an estimate of the ground clearance you will be using? 6"?

Because it's a 3 wheeler, I will try to keep the CoG as low as possible, so likely 4" front, and 5 rear".

Note that I will have a completely flat bottom, so you might get an occasional scrape, but of no consequence, and that the rear will be easy to adjust the height to suit your general driving habits, carrying loads, and local road conditions.

Top Bottom