• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
> practicability

So from a marketing side, it seems, NOT being able to get into and out of 'tight spots' is a deal breaker for you. For some number of US drivers, not having sociable seating and 4 seats is, or if it feels too much like a coffin.

For me, cost per-mile being better than the best 4 seater is my pivital item. Aptera will satisfy that threshold, so will the Mongrel. By how much? We will see. I plan to buy both, I will let you know. :cool: But then, admittedly, there is a limitation for me as to roominess. Actually all of us have some minimum limit we can stand for space.

Most everyone else will re-think thier 'deal-breakers' when they see the cost efficiency proven in the actual production vehicle.

I have met a lot of people who say they absoluely will not buy a solo seater. I've now seen two privately owned Solo's on the freeway locally. But note, the factory is halfway from my work to home, in Arizona. Did they get thiers as an employee benefit or discounted? I will likely never know.

I've seen more Smartcars in the same period, but not many more.
"Most everyone else will re-think thier 'deal-breakers' when they see the cost efficiency proven in the actual production vehicle. "

Yep... I believe this whole heartedly.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The market has proven that over and over for the last 100+ years, from personal aircraft to golf buggies. Even sports bikes come with a tiny passenger seat. People are sociable, and even if they never take a passenger, they always want the option that they can.
The ElectraMecannica Solo marketing team apparently didn’t do their homework. I agree with your statement and always felt they should have gone with their SOLO Twinn Concept. I can imagine a niche market for a solo seat commuter as a supplement to the family car. I rarely see a passenger on a motorcycle. Heck, I need the rear passenger compartment for COSTCO run cargo space or to haul my dog…….if I had a dog. :)

ClubJoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wasn't there a single passenger electric 3 wheel vehicle called the Corbin Sparrow?? A quick search said production ended in 2012.
The production for the Corbin Sparrow ended in 2002. I know since I bought one in 2001.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, Florida

Attachments

• ClubJoe Flying.jpg
    ClubJoe Flying.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 54

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wasn't there a single passenger electric 3 wheel vehicle called the Corbin Sparrow?? A quick search said production ended in 2012.
Sorry to take up space on the BEX Thread, but the ElectraMeccanica Solo was born from the actual Sparrow and evolved from there.
1664724911208.jpeg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
in answer to those who have PM'd me; as well as to those who are concerned and haven't said anything ---- Mark is fine ... he's hit one of those streaks we all go through where other personal business has monopolized his time .... he fully anticipates getting back into the groove soon .... as can be seen by him saying :

" Oh and sadly, my wife left me last week.

The sad part is, she's coming back in 2 weeks time, visiting my family in Australia."

those who've followed this thread an see that is sense of humor is still very much as usual :lol:

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
in answer to those who have PM'd me; as well as to those who are concerned and haven't said anything ---- Mark is fine ... he's hit one of those streaks we all go through where other personal business has monopolized his time .... he fully anticipates getting back into the groove soon .... as can be seen by him saying :

" Oh and sadly, my wife left me last week.

The sad part is, she's coming back in 2 weeks time, visiting my family in Australia."

those who've followed this thread an see that is sense of humor is still very much as usual :lol:

? Sorry, I thought I posted it here:

Apologies Guys and Gals for this week, been to the bank a few times, and I mean for hours each time, same at the tax department, run to the airport, another run to another city, and just tinkering with a few things that's all absorbed time and hasn't allowed me to make any big progress on the car this week that's worth showing.

Oh and sadly, my wife left me last week .....

The "sadly" part is, she's coming back in 2 weeks time, visiting my family in Australia :-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
? You call that realistic?

Expensive, but that's a choice, what isn't a choice is it's wider than a Ford F100, and for that I don't see the point from a practicability side of it. One of the advantages of a three wheeler is getting in and out of tight spots, easy parking etc.

Perhaps I should have rearranged the wording in my sentence:

"Aptera is probably the closest to realistically going into mass production with a three-wheeler."

Adding to that, I mean that of all the three wheelers in production or close to going into production, it is the nearest to something that I might actually buy. Of course, the BEX Mongrel is what I would prefer to have.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have rearranged the wording in my sentence:

"Aptera is probably the closest to realistically going into mass production with a three-wheeler."

Adding to that, I mean that of all the three wheelers in production or close to going into production, it is the nearest to something that I might actually buy. Of course, the BEX Mongrel is what I would prefer to have.
MASS PRODUCTION is a big claim. I think it'll be wise to wake up now and face reality. The massive cost of starting a production line facility with just one product to sell and at a starting price of $25,900/unit, I wonder how many will fall for this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom