• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

News From Shreveport

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elio made the switch to steel bodies, is it not possible that they've all but finished the 23 E series and are just waiting on (I can't remember the stamping company's name) to finish the stamps? It wouldn't take but a couple of days to assemble the bodies if the rest of the car was basically done.

Assembling 100 vehicles on an assembly line won't take very long once parts are in place and I don't see any reason Elio can't have already purchased the parts with the exception of whatever isn't finalized yet. Again, with a handful of workers, they can pop out quite a few cars per day once the parts are positioned along the line.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elio made the switch to steel bodies, is it not possible that they've all but finished the 23 E series and are just waiting on (I can't remember the stamping company's name) to finish the stamps? It wouldn't take but a couple of days to assemble the bodies if the rest of the car was basically done.

Assembling 100 vehicles on an assembly line won't take very long once parts are in place and I don't see any reason Elio can't have already purchased the parts with the exception of whatever isn't finalized yet. Again, with a handful of workers, they can pop out quite a few cars per day once the parts are positioned along the line.

The purpose of the E-series is to uncover any engineering changes required before purchasing tooling. It seems unlikely that they would have the tooling necessary to build the 100 pre-production models before the E-series testing as been completed.

That is my understanding of the process, anyway.

I could very well have a misunderstanding of the tooling being used to build the 100 pre-production models.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

How long does it take to make stamps?

I seem to remember, at one point, a discussion about hard tooling and soft tooling.
The net - net was that both types produced the same results, but soft tooling was good for, maybe, 1000 parts and hard tooling was good for, maybe, 1000 times as many.
Oh, and soft tooling was much cheaper.
If anyone else remembers that, please jump in. It has been a while.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If testing tells EM that changes have to be made...
Isn't it logical that those changes would involve the frame as well as the outer body?
And we haven't even gotten to the conversation about compliance certification yet.

Roush should have enough experience in all of this...
That there should be every possibility that neither the frame...
Nor the outer body panels will need to be changed from this point on.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If testing tells EM that changes have to be made...
Isn't it logical that those changes would involve the frame as well as the outer body?
And we haven't even gotten to the conversation about compliance certification yet.

Roush should have enough experience in all of this...
That there should be very little chance that neither the frame...
Nor the outer body panels will need to be changed from this point on.

Compliance certification ????
Compliance with what? Wouldn't that imply someone has established a standard?
Who would that be and what would the standard be?
And what would be the scope of those standards?

On Roush.... My guess is that their main function would probably be suspension tuning.
I could be totally wrong on that.

PA Car Guy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am thinking of the movie 'Tucker' and the push to get 50 cars made....all hands on deck, the company owner sleeves rolled up and that mad push to make it happen!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Compliance certification ????
Compliance with what? Wouldn't that imply someone has established a standard?
Who would that be and what would the standard be?
And what would be the scope of those standards?

On Roush.... My guess is that their main function would probably be suspension tuning.
I could be totally wrong on that.
It certainly does.
http://gsi.nist.gov/global/docs/motor_vehicle_parts_guide.pdf
It took Tanom Motors three years to get their three-wheeler certified.
It's just my opinion William, but I don't think EM engineers came up with that stamped frame by themselves.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I seem to remember, at one point, a discussion about hard tooling and soft tooling.
The net - net was that both types produced the same results, but soft tooling was good for, maybe, 1000 parts and hard tooling was good for, maybe, 1000 times as many. Oh, and soft tooling was much cheaper. If anyone else remembers that, please jump in. It has been a while.

Back in the day20-30 years ago, for stamp-press tooling, soft tooling was hard-silicone machined on a mill. Then possibly cast after that. The hard tooling was machined/polished and electro-etched/deposit surface.

Not sure what they do now. (Ty where R U :eek: ) I could see it now being a very-hard-silicone cast from a machined pre-tool. So from the pre-tool they can make ten thousand final tools. Each final tool capable of ten-thousand parts. Or just 3d print in metal each final tool. Any mix of that.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking of the movie 'Tucker' and the push to get 50 cars made....all hands on deck, the company owner sleeves rolled up and that mad push to make it happen!
Sadly it didn't happen, did a fender fall off during demo? please Think of another movie, the concept of Tucker/Elio is depressing

Top Bottom