• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

News From Shreveport

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the day20-30 years ago, for stamp-press tooling, soft tooling was hard-silicone machined on a mill. Then possibly cast after that. The hard tooling was machined/polished and electro-etched/deposit surface.

Not sure what they do now. (Ty where R U :eek: ) I could see it now being a very-hard-silicone cast from a machined pre-tool. So from the pre-tool they can make ten thousand final tools. Each final tool capable of ten-thousand parts. Or just 3d print in metal each final tool. Any mix of that.

I seem to recall the term "hydro-forming" used. I found an informative video that explains the process.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It certainly does.
http://gsi.nist.gov/global/docs/motor_vehicle_parts_guide.pdf
It took Tanom Motors three years to get their three-wheeler certified.
It's just my opinion William, but I don't think EM engineers came up with that stamped frame by themselves.

Thanks for posting the link.
Never realized the bureaucrats were that intrusive.
Just got back from town and haven't read it all yet.
Your last point may or may not be valid, but definitely a thought.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. It has been my impression that EM has been "setting the standards" for autocycles. Particularly with safety standards.
Unless EM is successful in their bid to have the federal government create a whole new class of vehicle, the Elio will have to be pass compliance certification tests and standards as a motorcycle with considerations for some of the differences. Though there are many automobile standards that the Elio will not have to meet as a motorcycle, getting motorcycle certification in the US is still not a trivial matter. It can sometimes take months. Please see the link I provided in that post for some of the details. :D

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. It has been my impression that EM has been "setting the standards" for autocycles. Particularly with safety standards.
I must ask, what are the "standards being" credited to the autocycle safety?, EM Used to publicize a 5 star rating, which of course was/is not a reality.
A casual glance on youtube car crash testing gives one pause- On the flip side, it'll be the most comfortable and safest m.c. I've ever owned ( and will cost a lot less than my bikes)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the day20-30 years ago, for stamp-press tooling, soft tooling was hard-silicone machined on a mill. Then possibly cast after that. The hard tooling was machined/polished and electro-etched/deposit surface.

Not sure what they do now. (Ty where R U :eek: ) I could see it now being a very-hard-silicone cast from a machined pre-tool. So from the pre-tool they can make ten thousand final tools. Each final tool capable of ten-thousand parts. Or just 3d print in metal each final tool. Any mix of that.
You got me. I don't know much about stamping. I could talk about predictive maintenance on stamps but I haven't seen them being made. I defer to others.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must ask, what are the "standards being" credited to the autocycle safety?....
Thank you for asking :D . One you have already mentioned...the "5 star crash test rating" as crash testing of autocycles is not currently a government requirement, but EM is insisting on destructive testing anyway. They want to prove it is safe. 2) "three airbags" do you know of any other autocycle that even has airbags? 3) "Active braking" (I think that is the term) (Edit: Stability control). They are also setting the "cost" standards. Everything that I have seen "in the works" is at least twice the price. :)

Last edited:

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for asking :D . One you have already mentioned...the "5 star crash test rating" as crash testing of autocycles is not currently a government requirement, but EM is insisting on destructive testing anyway. They want to prove it is safe. 2) "three airbags" do you know of any other autocycle that even has airbags? 3) "Active braking" (I think that is the term). They are also setting the "cost" standards. Everything that I have seen "in the works" is at least twice the price. :)

To be fair, Elio is only at the price-point with mass production of 250k/yr. I'm going to assume the other autocycles are probably pricing based on MUCH lower expected sales.

That's not to say Elio hasn't made additional cost saving in the way they've developed and designed the vehicle...just that it's probably not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3) "Active braking" (I think that is the term).

What are you referring to as "active braking"? The kind where the vehicle uses radar to determine if there is an obstacle ahead and brakes for you? If so, pretty sure the Elio does not do that.

Or are you referring to brake based traction control, where brakes are used to adjust wheel speed instead of cutting engine power? I would not be shocked if the Elio uses the brakes for traction/stability control.

Top Bottom