• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Fun At All!

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think storm water is suppose to go into a sewerage drain pipe. I think it might even be illegal.

Glad the worse is over for you. Here in North Central WV, weather been a bit wet, but like spring. Its great of you to move down there for the better half. Sounds like you made a pretty good sacrifice for her.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think storm water is suppose to go into a sewerage drain pipe. I think it might even be illegal.

Glad the worse is over for you. Here in North Central WV, weather been a bit wet, but like spring. Its great of you to move down there for the better half. Sounds like you made a pretty good sacrifice for her.

If you're referring to the sump pump water, I believe you're right on it being illegal. Lived here 20+ years before I realized it because tree roots got into the lateral...what a friggin mess! Trees gone, pipe cleared, and it's on the extensive 'to-do' list. But if you'd seen the electrical and other 'sketchy' construction techniques used to build this house, the sump dumping into the sewer seems minor. He [the guy that built the house] had every single outlet and light in the 'downstairs apartment [two bedroom, living room, bath, dinning room/kitchen]' as it was when we moved in, ran off of one 12ga romex wire, to one 20amp breaker :eek:. Surprised the place didn't burn down! Home inspection? Four walls - check, Roof - check...you're good to go;). Building codes? We don't need no stinking codes in Pacific [apparently]! :rolleyes:

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stuff like that usually falls under local laws and ordinances. I know of a lot of cities out east where street drainage systems and treatment plant pipes are shared for quite a ways. It was a way of saving money when curb-and-gutter was first installed, and legal at the time. Now? That's why "grandfathering" was invented.

When I still had cable, I used to watch this show where the people were given the choice of keeping their old house after it had been renovated or buying a new house. I cannot count the number of shows where the renovation plans had to be scaled back because the interior designer uncovered some flaw (in some cases, a MAJOR flaw) in how the house was built umpty-ump years ago.

In one case, the original plumber installed a 1.5" drainage pipe into a 2" outlet pipe by simply laying a few inches of the smaller pipe into the larger pipe without any kind of size reduction joint -- just open pipe. This was discovered when they sliced up the concrete to replumb the basement for a shower, and they discovered that water leaking from this non-joint had washed away a good portion of the dirt under the house. It just so happened that a major load-bearing wall was a foot or so away from being on top of this non-joint. If they hadn't discovered this now it would have only been a matter of time and some good storms away from collapsing the house.

Like I said, this happened on the show more often than I care to count, to the extent where I would view any renovation of any house more than 50 years old as a chance to go back and fix all the shortcuts that were made back when it was first built.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stuff like that usually falls under local laws and ordinances. I know of a lot of cities out east where street drainage systems and treatment plant pipes are shared for quite a ways. It was a way of saving money when curb-and-gutter was first installed, and legal at the time. Now? That's why "grandfathering" was invented.

When I still had cable, I used to watch this show where the people were given the choice of keeping their old house after it had been renovated or buying a new house. I cannot count the number of shows where the renovation plans had to be scaled back because the interior designer uncovered some flaw (in some cases, a MAJOR flaw) in how the house was built umpty-ump years ago.

In one case, the original plumber installed a 1.5" drainage pipe into a 2" outlet pipe by simply laying a few inches of the smaller pipe into the larger pipe without any kind of size reduction joint -- just open pipe. This was discovered when they sliced up the concrete to replumb the basement for a shower, and they discovered that water leaking from this non-joint had washed away a good portion of the dirt under the house. It just so happened that a major load-bearing wall was a foot or so away from being on top of this non-joint. If they hadn't discovered this now it would have only been a matter of time and some good storms away from collapsing the house.

Like I said, this happened on the show more often than I care to count, to the extent where I would view any renovation of any house more than 50 years old as a chance to go back and fix all the shortcuts that were made back when it was first built.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Yep. I run into things akin to that every time we do any kind of remodeling. Apparently, the plumb bob, level and square hadn't been invented when they built this house. As a life-long aircraft mechanic/assembler, anything over a few thousands out of blueprint tolerance gives me hives! :confused:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Weather channel today had coverage on the Mississippi and the Merrimack flooding; they're saying the flooding on the Merrimack is the worst in history and they showed a lot of video of it; there are whole towns under water, 14 dead.
Bad stuff and there are more chances coming to make it even more so.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Weather channel today had coverage on the Mississippi and the Merrimack flooding; they're saying the flooding on the Merrimack is the worst in history and they showed a lot of video of it; there are whole towns under water, 14 dead.
Bad stuff and there are more chances coming to make it even more so.

True. And river crests are strange beasts. It's done here, and slowly working it's way back into it's banks, but all the towns downstream from us are still waiting for the hammer to fall. The town of Arnold, MO (where I-55 is shut down because of flooding) is real close to where the Meramec River meets the Mississippi. They're going to get it from both directions.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
we learned from out son that it was tougher for him to find a way to get to work and back today than it was yesterday .... more roads were closed and he doesn't anticipate much improvement for a couple more days .... he says that he's been impressed by the way folks seem to be adapting and trying to make the most of a bad situation

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
we learned from out son that it was tougher for him to find a way to get to work and back today than it was yesterday .... more roads were closed and he doesn't anticipate much improvement for a couple more days .... he says that he's been impressed by the way folks seem to be adapting and trying to make the most of a bad situation
You almost have to, you're all in the same situation and sometimes it's those around you that will have to help as you help them because no one else can get there.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pics 524.JPG
ben bridge.jpg
Little illustration of how friggin high the Meramec River is. The first pic is of Old Ben bridge during one of our kayak floats. Most likely the same day as the pic of the railroad trestle a few pages back. The next one is of the same bridge as taken by a friend Danny that lives on the south side of the bridge. The bottom of the bridge is damn near in the water, and it's maybe 50' above the water 'normally'. The little blue-ish and white blob at water level in the first pic is my wife in her kayak.

Top Bottom