• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm reasonably certain that since there's no rear window, there's also no inside mirror. I'm planning to install something that will allow me eye contact with my rear seat passenger. Don't know yet exactly what that will be, perhaps just an off center vanity mirror on the visor.
Wouldn't that be the same as texting?:)

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Considering the tandem seating and the narrow cabin, a conventional rearview mirror will only show your smiling face. I have a wireless backup camera on one of our vans and it isn't worth it. I bought it because of the dark tint on the back windows, but it doesn't see that well in the dark. The camera comes on with the backup lights, but I manually switch the monitor because I don't want it running all the time and don't want to run down the backup circuit to tie into what was supposed to be a "temporary" installation.

Initially forgetting to switch the monitor off, I made some eye-opening discoveries about wireless cameras - there are more of them around than you'd believe, and everybody seems to think they broadcast ONLY to their home security network. Evidently nobody thinks about where the signals from their home security cameras or even their wireless video baby monitors are going . . . they are being broadcast to every receiver in as as much as a 100 yard range, and most are on the same frequency. If you think about that for a moment, your neighbors or even the person driving by your house with a wireless backup camera can see everything your camera sees in your home . . . and that gets creepy.

For that reason I'd advise if you have wireless cameras inside your home, invest in a bathrobe or be sure you are fully dressed before you leave your bedroom to visit the kitchen for a late night snack, check on the baby, or even parade up and down your halls. Those "security" cameras are not as "secure" as you might think; they are broadcasting everything they see to your neighborhood. After wondering where all those pictures were coming from, I recognized a neighbor's kitchen. that's why I keep that monitor OFF. :eek:

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A rear view cam would be a comfort convenience on the Elio. Jerome made mention of an aftermarket unit that works in conjunction with your smart phone and the universal smartphone mount via bluetooth

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A rear view cam would be a comfort convenience on the Elio. Jerome made mention of an aftermarket unit that works in conjunction with your smart phone and the universal smartphone mount via bluetooth
Not being a wise ass, but what can you see with the camera that you can't see with the two outside mirrors? Just curious.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Was there discussion about only one door and the ability to exit the vehicle in case of a roll over accident? I like the idea of 2 doors.......but apparently not a necessary safety issue on a 5 star safety rating.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not being a wise ass, but what can you see with the camera that you can't see with the two outside mirrors? Just curious.
Probably not much. I think they've said that you cant' stand behind the Elio and be hidden from the mirrors. Some people are reliant on that rear view mirror to back up. They'll have some adjusting to do. Now, my question is if I have the mirrors set to see right behind me contrary to the way they should be set up (according to Car and Driver where you shouldn't be able to see your own vehicle in the outside mirrors but rather the next lane), will I be able to see someone in my blind spots? IF there is a blind spot.

Top Bottom