• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just getting caught up on this thread. Guess we all struggle with adapting the familiar (rear view mirrors, backup cameras, rear windows, etc.) to the unfamiliar (Elio's design parameters and its almost non-existent blind spot). We may be imagining problems that don't exist. Not that that will stop the aftermarket to catering to those desires/fears. My approach will be to drive it for a week, and if I haven't adapted, then look into these accessories.

The last statement made in the prior post was the quote on the R&D engineer's desk. It was actually a paraphrase of a Robert Kennedy quote that I saw on a bank VP's office wall many years ago:
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not? Kennedy also made several other statements that reflect on what Paul Elio is doing:
It is not enough to understand, or to see clearly. The future will be shaped in the arena of human activity, by those willing to commit their minds and their bodies to the task.
And for those believing that past failures breed future successes:
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. And lastly, a reminder of the risks ahead:
Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/robertkenn121273.html

I was 3 when Kennedy was shot and the sight of the funeral procession on TV is probably one of my earliest memories.

My father was a rabid liberal and absolutely idolized Kennedy. He was a teacher and had a very large portrait of Kennedy on the wall of his class room which he brought home when he retired. He has been gone a number of years now but that portrait still hangs in his room at home. Unfortunately I don't think my mother will be in the house much longer and it will be interesting to see which brother takes possession of the picture. It will be valued as much for the man in the portrait as well as the old man that idolized him so much.

Thanks for sharing the quotes.

russell ramsdell

Elio Addict
Reaction score
what if you put one in the upper right corner just beyond where your head would be and pointed it toward the optional hatch window-so your looking over your shoulder -that might give you enough angle to see behind you -just sayin-

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
what if you put one in the upper right corner just beyond where your head would be and pointed it toward the optional hatch window-so your looking over your shoulder -that might give you enough angle to see behind you -just sayin-

This could possibly work but only without a passenger and with the rear seat back folded down as the rear headrest blocks any view towards the rear hatch.

The reality is that with such a narrow vehicle a rearview mirror is not necessary but if you must have one the best option is likely a rear view camera.

2.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wait, there aren't already torpedo tubes? That's it. I'm out. Anyone want an Elio? Number 3898 is now up for sale!

(That's humor, right there... I'm not giving up my Elio torpedo tubes or no torpedo tubes! Besides, Paul said the aftermarket would make anything and everything I can think of for my Elio.

Top Bottom