• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ny Auto Show 2016

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had went to the NY Auto Show and was there at 10:00AM. I had made My way to the Elio Display where they had the Elio P5 which I got to Sit in and Check out. I also got to Meet Paul Elio and Talk with Him about the Elio and Ask some Questions. Some of My Questions He was able to answer right away and a few Questions Paul Elio said that He would bring them up to the Development Team because a Few of My Questions were Not the Usual Questions that Most People Ask all the time and were Very Interesting.

One Very Important Question was about Traction Control. We Will be able to turn it off when NEEDED and then turn it back on and if We Don't turn it back on, then it will be back on by default the next time the Vehicle is started.

The Front and Rear Tires are 2 Different Sizes so Rotation is Only going to be from Left Front to Right Front. The Rear Tire Will Have to be Dismounted from the Rim and Turned Around and Remounted and then Rebalanced.

The Driver Seat Don't Recline Far Enough to be able to be halfway comfortable to take a Nap or Sleep in the Vehicle. When driving the Vehicle as a Commuter Vehicle some People like Myself Will take a Nap or Sleep in the Vehicle for anywhere from a half hour to an hour. The Seat NEEDS to Recline More to be More Comfortable to be able to do this.

I also asked if the Engine and Transmission could be Upgraded at a Later Date since if We have gotten Aftermarket Upgrades through Elio or Other Means since it would be Cheaper for Us than having to Repurchase All of them over again. The Elio Team Member that I was Talking with had said that they Will forward that to the Development Team.

With the SkyActive Infinite Sky Addition would be a $1,500.00 option. Currently We would have to get an Additional Line to Our Mobile Plan, but maybe there will be an App that We can Purchase and Download to Our Mobile Devices which at that point then We will Use the Data on Our Current Mobile Plan that We have.
All good stuff!!, Was there interest from other attendees??

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had went to the NY Auto Show and was there at 10:00AM. I had made My way to the Elio Display where they had the Elio P5 which I got to Sit in and Check out. I also got to Meet Paul Elio and Talk with Him about the Elio and Ask some Questions. Some of My Questions He was able to answer right away and a few Questions Paul Elio said that He would bring them up to the Development Team because a Few of My Questions were Not the Usual Questions that Most People Ask all the time and were Very Interesting.

One Very Important Question was about Traction Control. We Will be able to turn it off when NEEDED and then turn it back on and if We Don't turn it back on, then it will be back on by default the next time the Vehicle is started.

The Front and Rear Tires are 2 Different Sizes so Rotation is Only going to be from Left Front to Right Front. The Rear Tire Will Have to be Dismounted from the Rim and Turned Around and Remounted and then Rebalanced.

The Driver Seat Don't Recline Far Enough to be able to be halfway comfortable to take a Nap or Sleep in the Vehicle. When driving the Vehicle as a Commuter Vehicle some People like Myself Will take a Nap or Sleep in the Vehicle for anywhere from a half hour to an hour. The Seat NEEDS to Recline More to be More Comfortable to be able to do this.

I also asked if the Engine and Transmission could be Upgraded at a Later Date since if We have gotten Aftermarket Upgrades through Elio or Other Means since it would be Cheaper for Us than having to Repurchase All of them over again. The Elio Team Member that I was Talking with had said that they Will forward that to the Development Team.

With the SkyActive Infinite Sky Addition would be a $1,500.00 option. Currently We would have to get an Additional Line to Our Mobile Plan, but maybe there will be an App that We can Purchase and Download to Our Mobile Devices which at that point then We will Use the Data on Our Current Mobile Plan that We have.
You didn't by chance take a critical look at the Arcimoto SRK display?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

On your idea about tire rotation for the rear tire; in short, you can't do that. Radial tires are directional, both in the belt design and tread design (some tire patterns have an arrow on the tire to show the direction of rotation.

I wonder if SkyActive will work if not connected? I can pass on the "call for assistance" or the "live traffic" and the mapping and navigation. But I like some of the other things that it does. I'll contact the people that make SkyActive again and see what they say.

"When driving the Vehicle as a Commuter Vehicle some People like Myself Will take a Nap or Sleep in the Vehicle for anywhere from a half hour to an hour"
You take a nap:sleep: while driving in traffic commuting ?? :scared:? ...... tell me what roads you travel so I can make sure to avoid them .

<no wonder traffic is so bad any more>

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey do you or Sethodine know which branded gas stations buy only domestic gasoline for vending? I have a call in to Costco to hear what they say. When the price is high, I'm less concerned. But I want our domestic petroleum suppliers and employers to stay strong and would prefer to Buy American gas within reason.

I've rotated tires on a couple over vehicles but most I don't even bother. Tires now wear so evenly that rotating them isn't necessary. With the Elio being so light, I'm betting tire wear will be minimal - especially because they'll no doubt be a harder rubber than most to be low-roll-resistance. I won't bother rotating mine.

Here's the million dollar question: For people who rotate their tires, how much further do the tires last? We aren't doubling their mileage, are we? Probably not. Math time!
May as well use Pep Boys.
$14.99 to rotate tires. I was going to discount the Elio because it's only two but they have to remove fenders, store them safely while doing the work, and reassemble the car. It's recommended to rotate the tires every 8,000 miles.
135/80-R15 Other than compact spares, I can't find any. A similar size tire sells for $88.
60,000 mile warranty means 7 rotations in the life of the tire... $105 in rotations per tire swap. Two sets of ties gets you to 120,000 miles and costs you $176+$210=$386
No rotations would take three sets of tires to get to 120,000. $0 in rotation, but $176 in tires twice. $0+$176+176=$352
It looks like the non-rotation team wins. Plus, there is no wear and tear on the fenders caused by some careless mechanic.

Now, IF the Elio ends up causing cupping or some weird wear pattern, sure, rotating makes sense to me. I'd probably be pulling the fenders every 20k or so miles to check the brakes anyway so swapping over the tires then might make sense.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
On the S10 I had, I had different size tires front and rear so I couldn't rotate.
And with that I got 90,000 miles on a set of 40,000 mile tires; most of it freeway.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt the rear tire will wear as fast as the fronts due to the weight bias.
I ASSUME the rear tire will be bigger in width when done by others. Still min. wear.
On my G1 I rotate rear to front just because of the low wear only on the rears, every 30K miles. Go another 30K and get all four new.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On your idea about tire rotation for the rear tire; in short, you can't do that. Radial tires are directional, both in the belt design and tread design (some tire patterns have an arrow on the tire to show the direction of rotation.

I wonder if SkyActive will work if not connected? I can pass on the "call for assistance" or the "live traffic" and the mapping and navigation. But I like some of the other things that it does. I'll contact the people that make SkyActive again and see what they say.

"When driving the Vehicle as a Commuter Vehicle some People like Myself Will take a Nap or Sleep in the Vehicle for anywhere from a half hour to an hour"
You take a nap:sleep: while driving in traffic commuting ?? :scared:? ...... tell me what roads you travel so I can make sure to avoid them .

<no wonder traffic is so bad any more>
So... left and right sides tires? I've never owned any single direction tires but I've only owned about 34 cars, 8 trucks, 7 motorcycles, 9 trailers, and 1 wife. Well, the wife doesn't have tires... I've never owned any really high performance cars. Hot Rods, yes. Ferrari, no.
How do you even find those? I need a left side tire for my Porsche. Sure, if both sides were the same, you could do something fancy like pop them off the rims to move them from one side to the other but then you'd have to get them all rebalance and usually, tire balance doesn't change. Tread wears the same for the entire circumference so they maintain their weight ratio... Tires with raised white lettering or white outline lettering usually have one side with the white and one side with the black so you can pick which side you want out.

Asymmetrical tires, for almost every application where they actually make them are for moving water and snow away from the center and towards the outer edge. It doesn't matter what side they are mounted on as long as the "outside" wording can be seen from outside, of course. There is typically no reason to ever have a tire taken off the rim unless it is damaged. Anyone taking tires off rims to keep them from "rolling the wrong way" is doing more damage than good.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt the rear tire will wear as fast as the fronts due to the weight bias.
I ASSUME the rear tire will be bigger in width when done by others. Still min. wear.
On my G1 I rotate rear to front just because of the low wear only on the rears, every 30K miles. Go another 30K and get all four new.
From the Elio web site today: Tire Sizes: Front: 135/80 R15. Rear: 175/65 R15

You can expect each tire to shoulder right at 33% of the load. The Elio will probably be front heavy since there isn't much behind the halfway point.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score

The rear tire is essentially a trailer wheel. It is not driven and I suspect that a majority of the braking effort will be realized on the front tires instead of the back. The point I'm trying to make is that I doubt there will be a need to rotate the rear wheel; just drive until it is time to replace.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the Elio web site today: Tire Sizes: Front: 135/80 R15. Rear: 175/65 R15

You can expect each tire to shoulder right at 33% of the load. The Elio will probably be front heavy since there isn't much behind the halfway point.

Interesting tire sizes. Using a calculator from Discount Tire, you can see that the diameter of the tires is very close to the same. The rear tire is both wider, and surprising to me, taller sidewall for hopefully a slightly less rigid bump when it hits things.

upload_2016-3-27_9-5-0.png

Top Bottom