• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ok, Not Similar

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I recently bought a new Chevy Spark with OnStar. They sent me an e-mail the other day giving me a "history" for the last month. Said I went over 80 a few times (in a 70 mph zone), braked hard a few times, and drove a bunch of miles. Tire pressure ok, etc..

They also tried to get me to sign up for All-State Insurance. I bet my "history" would be used against me if I had switched to them.
Is "Big Brother" also watching me? Now I know Congress determines some of the capabilities of the On-Board Diagnostics Computer and I wonder if the Elio being an AutoCycle will need to be compliant with this, or if they are allowed to be more like a motorcycle in this regard?

I'm waiting for the day when they just sent me speeding tickets in the mail automatically and then threaten to shut off my vehicle until I pay. I figure that will happen in the next 5 to 10 years. I don't think I'm being paranoid, just realistic.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I recently bought a new Chevy Spark with OnStar. They sent me an e-mail the other day giving me a "history" for the last month. Said I went over 80 a few times (in a 70 mph zone), braked hard a few times, and drove a bunch of miles. Tire pressure ok, etc..

They also tried to get me to sign up for All-State Insurance. I bet my "history" would be used against me if I had switched to them.
Is "Big Brother" also watching me? Now I know Congress determines some of the capabilities of the On-Board Diagnostics Computer and I wonder if the Elio being an AutoCycle will need to be compliant with this, or if they are allowed to be more like a motorcycle in this regard?

I'm waiting for the day when they just sent me speeding tickets in the mail automatically and then threaten to shut off my vehicle until I pay. I figure that will happen in the next 5 to 10 years. I don't think I'm being paranoid, just realistic.

Makes me appreciate my '73 Porsche 914 more everyday! I don't even think an EMP would mess with that car!

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FWIW: They are not replacing lithium. They are removing the need for the electrolyte to be liquid. Their technology enables the electrolyte to be in a solid polymer form. There have been several companies/groups announcing this "solid state" battery technology this year, including the guy credited with inventing the lithium ion battery in the first place.

"What’s unique about the material is that it’s the first polymer that can transport lithium ions at room temperature in a wide temperature range, he said."

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New battery in the works that might change everything in a positive way for electric vehicles and storage. (Lithium is OUT).

https://www.designnews.com/electron...-solve-next-gen-battery-needs/153300393657377

Interesting! Makes me wonder if the polymer could be molded to the shape of the vehicle's body/chassis components essentially turning the entire vehicle into one big battery. Make all of the body panels that point up out of solar cells, which hopefully improve over the coming years, for recharging on the road or when parked and you'd have yourself a nice little long-range EV.

If shooting the cells with a high-powered round doesn't make it blow up, you'd probably be okay in a crash [assumption!]. Thanks for the link!

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey Rob, read article again. In it they also said "Zimmerman and his team at Ionic Materials think they have the answer--not with one battery chemistry, but with a unique polymer material that’s compatible with multiple battery chemistries and has higher potential for energy capacities than current state-of- the-art batteries, he said."

So yes, it is working with lithium in one example, but it is also expected to work with other chemistries which do not use lithium.
IMO, lithium will be replaced with something better, less expensive, and safer. Probably real soon.

Top Bottom