• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably many more P-O-S Options will come out by Production time. They have said that they want them to be as affordable as the Elio itself; keeping the suppliers to COST + 20% markup.

Just to clarify a little bit about the cost + 20% which I have also read from them a number of times. When Elio says cost they mean total cost to Elio Motors including what it cost them to ship items around their system, installation technicians time install the item, and whatever other costs are incurred in the process. I wanted to clarify that so buyers are not surprised when, for example, they read that Elio pays $125 for the cruise control system but then buyers see the option listed at $250.

I just know people are not going to think about all the extra costs involved and instead they will complain that Elio is selling them an item at a 100% markup instead of the promised 20%.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just my opinion of course, but that 20% was Mr. Elios idea and not the dozen or so automobile professional members of the board. With the delays and the cost going up for each and every part, (as they always do), the original margins shown of the production charts must be long gone. (believe the gas guy or not, the figures came from some where and caddo county does have them) Options is the way to make up that loss. Again, my numbers are guesses but I WAS standing next to Jerome when he mentioned the auto cost and the cruise cost and the destination cost, which make up the bulk of a elio with auto and cruise. You can wish all you want, but I want elio motors to make a TON of money and be successful. Personally, I am wishing for a little wider bench seat in back, a rear passenger door on the curb side, a dash mounted shifter both 5 speed and auto, (easily done, many cars do it already) and of course, YELLOW!

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I talked with Jerome when they were in Seattle, and honestly couldn't get a straight answer on anything I asked about, so I'm just gonna wait and see what the prices list out at. I can install my own cruise, but a rostra cruise runs about 175-215, plus install time. so may be cheaper to just have it stuck on b4 I get it.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I talked with Jerome when they were in Seattle, and honestly couldn't get a straight answer on anything I asked about, so I'm just gonna wait and see what the prices list out at. I can install my own cruise, but a rostra cruise runs about 175-215, plus install time. so may be cheaper to just have it stuck on b4 I get it.
Jerome has been known to remark in frustration that it would be nice when the options list is fully developed so that he would actually have information to talk about.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jerome has been known to remark in frustration that it would be nice when the options list is fully developed so that he would actually have information to talk about.
Am I missing something here? How can they decide options when the actual vehicle is still only a prototype? I realize I know nothing about vehicle design and construction but I do know a lot about garment design and construction. If I make a prototype (muslin test garment) I do not use the anticipated final design extras. I will use inexpensive size equivalents to gage which size looks best on the design. Once I have selected the final fabric (or it is given to me) then I select the final components to complement that fabric. Is it so different in vehicles? Yes EM knows the basic design and material of the vehicle but having the freedom and time to change some of those components for something that will look and work better is important. Please, let's show a little common sense and patience and let them do their job. I, for one, want it done right. My impression is, so does Paul Elio. :-) Z

PS: How about an option option (that is not a mistake). Make a list of the options you want. Since we know EM's preference is for items already available, select the one or more choices you prefer for each option. If that doesn't take enough time, evaluate the pros and cons of each one. By the time you finish all that you might have used up, maybe, 1 hour of your angst time. Maybe someone else can provide something to distract you for the rest of the year. LOL :-) Z

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the blue shirt elio people in OKC mentioned that the factory would be installing the transmissions only! We were all shocked at that. Now think about this, EM says off the shelve parts, off whose shelves? Pep Boys of course. You order your elio in red, an bam it arrives, you add cruise at pep boys, or a sunroof, or what ever option is there that you want. The factory is banging out an elio every two or three minutes and would not need to carry any parts at all. Keep it simple silly. A radio is a elio part number at pep boys, or new fenders, etc. Also, elio could be stock piled at other locations across the country in massive elio lots. In 24 hours you ordered elio is there, ready to have its options installed...Mr. Elio has said your elio could be there in 24 hours a couple of times...elio delivery trucks running day and night. Interesting concept isn't it?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the blue shirt elio people in OKC mentioned that the factory would be installing the transmissions only! We were all shocked at that. Now think about this, EM says off the shelve parts, off whose shelves? Pep Boys of course. You order your elio in red, an bam it arrives, you add cruise at pep boys, or a sunroof, or what ever option is there that you want. The factory is banging out an elio every two or three minutes and would not need to carry any parts at all. Keep it simple silly. A radio is a elio part number at pep boys, or new fenders, etc. Also, elio could be stock piled at other locations across the country in massive elio lots. In 24 hours you ordered elio is there, ready to have its options installed...Mr. Elio has said your elio could be there in 24 hours a couple of times...elio delivery trucks running day and night. Interesting concept isn't it?

o_O

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Items available at your local Pep Boys.

Air CompressorsGas CapSpark Plugs
Air-Conditiong CompressorGPSSpecialty Tools
Alternator & StarterHand ToolsThermostat
Antifreeze & CoolantHeadlightsTie Rods
Ball JointsIgnition CoilTiming Belt
Battery ChargerInterior & Exterior AccessoriesTires
Belts & HosesJacks, Ramps & Lifting ToolsTool Storage