• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In North Dakota, I put a simple 100W heater in my truck... set it right on the center console. It was so weak that it felt like someone breathing out. But, I didn't have to scrape a window for 2 years. (I parked outside, btw). In addition, I kept the block heater plugged in as well. It was really nice and very simple. I think the heater is a "My Heat" thing. It's 110V and I just ran the cord out the door and plugged in an extension cord. I found that a lot better than running the truck for 30 minutes before going to work. Well, sometimes, I still remotely started the thing but these diesels need a lot of warming up before they like to move!
I can't believe it. That's just what I do here in Ohio, only I have the extension cord plugged into the porch light. When I get up I turn on the light and an hour later when I leave, all the snow is melted off and the car is nice and hot. No block heater though, but by the time the car starts to cool off down the road, the motor is warm.

PS I would say, great minds, but that would falsely put mine up there with yours.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe it. That's just what I do here in Ohio, only I have the extension cord plugged into the porch light. When I get up I turn on the light and an hour later when I leave, all the snow is melted off and the car is nice and hot. No block heater though, but by the time the car starts to cool off down the road, the motor is warm.

PS I would say, great minds, but that would falsely put mine up there with yours.
Or down here with mine, rather. The block heater heats up the antifreeze that's in the block and is really quite easy to install. It heats the water which in turn heats the oil. Thick oil is really hard to pump around in an engine and my engine has 14 quarts of oil in it unlike cars which have around 4 or 5 quarts. It takes a bit to warm that oil. Before a diesel heats up, it is very low powered. I've actually made it out of my driveway and about 100 feet down the road before it just died. Now, that was fuel gelling but still... cold is cold.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a couple of mornings in the -20s here.
I was being sarcastic, but would anyone expect anything less. Lowest we got to this year was +27 and only for a few hours over night. I went to Anchorage, AK last January for work and was mesmerized that my water bottle froze in my pocket during a morning hike. Haha. It was 9 degrees outside, can't imagine -20's or -30's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been in -40 once in Pennsylvania, I happened to miss the school bus on the coldest day on record ever for the town with a 6 mile hike through waist deep snow to get home. very unfun. One reason that when my parents moved south then north I stayed south.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I scraped ice off my Volvo station wagon once... I was on Vacation in Alabama in November. Where I live we call the hard water that forms when it gets too cold to go outside "wild ice." Domestic ice is the stuff in my fridge, cooler, and glass. Since Domestic ice is fairly common we just call it ice.
I have seen wild ice down here, just never cold enough to form on a windshield. Usually you have to get up early and go look in a trash can lid, or in the shade to find any. Even then it is going to be just a sliver.
I'd be interested in a remote start for the air conditioning.

Top Bottom