• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
hopefully they will find a supplier that can give alternate dash choices .... unfortunately, they are so committed to the Elgin, I question if they have much, if any, interest in doing so

Jim
A happy customer, is a return customer................... :)
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSj5rbPKnKGohqxFFWq_CBTngCYorqsijuRUAYVidmpDgJtdwDXpg.jpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was told in Birmingham when I asked Jerome V. that a dash alternative to the Lord Elgin would be made available at no additional cost.

If I go to Charlotte this weekend I will ask again to make doubly sure.

one of the questions I have on my list is to ask if the dash in the P4 will be available for the production model

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
one of the questions I have on my list is to ask if the dash in the P4 will be available for the production model

Jim

The P4 dash will not be available as it is simply borrowed from an old Geo Metro just like the engine. However it is my understanding that Elio Motors does plan on offering dash options besides the standard Elgin dash. Of course you will be able to discuss all this with them yourself this weekend. :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The P4 dash will not be available as it is simply borrowed from an old Geo Metro just like the engine. However it is my understanding that Elio Motors does plan on offering dash options besides the standard Elgin dash. Of course you will be able to discuss all this with them yourself this weekend. :)

head's-up appreciated .... it seems to me that using an old Geo Metro dash would fit right in with EM's philosophy of making maximum use off the shelf, proven components

Jim

Last edited:

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was told in Birmingham when I asked Jerome V. that a dash alternative to the Lord Elgin would be made available at no additional cost.

If I go to Charlotte this weekend I will ask again to make doubly sure.

YEAH :):):):D

I'm planning on $6800+taxtitledelivery, it pretty much has everything I need and then some ! Black please and not Elgin, should constitute my "order"

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
head's-up appreciated .... it seems to me that using an old Geo Metro dash would fit right in with EM's philosophy of making maximum use off the shelf, proven components

Jim

This is a good question and we have actually had this discussion somewhere on here before. Through some research what we have found out is that there are no off the shelf dash gauge clusters sitting stockpiled in warehouses just waiting to be installed in new vehicles as the industry just does not work this way. Gauge clusters designs are proprietary and these designs are owned by each respective manufacturer. Each gauge cluster is built to order with exact specifications and interfaces intended for the vehicle it will be installed in or as a spare replacement for those vehicles. There are also universal dashes out there intended for the custom car aftermarket however these are low volume items items usually featuring premium components as when dealing with low volumes the prices are generally higher already so the difference between component pricing becomes negligible.

As there are no off the shelf gauge clusters available what is available is proven off the shelf sub-components which make up gauge clusters. As this is the case Elio Motors must work with their dash gauge cluster OEM to design and build a dash for their vehicle which meets there price targets. This is why, whether we like it or not, the Elgin dash becomes a realistic option for them as using off the shelf components it likely does not cost EM any more than other options do.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
10-4 .... that makes sense

Jim

It does make sense once you figure it out. :)

Finding out this kind of information has been part of the fun for me as I have learned a lot more detail about how the auto industry works behind the scenes. This kind of information really helps us understand how and why Elio Motors makes some of the decisions they do even if we may not always agree with those decisions. :cool:

Top Bottom