• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P5

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everything you read here is someone's opinion, would like to see, or information they gathered by talking to Elio staff at showings. Take what info you like, and throw out the rest. I'm sure Elio staff are giving out information as it becomes available, but it's all subject to change. If you read through all the different threads here you will gain some good info, but it's all what someone was told or heard. We are a long way from seeing one of these on the road. I'm all in for the 1k, and like a bunch of us, waiting to hear what number in the production line we will get on Monday night's email. Go to the top of this page and click on What's new, and read the threads that interest you.

Jason Cray

Elio Fan
Reaction score
EMTM: What is the current design of the dashboard? Is the Lord Elgin watchface derivative the currently-planned design?

• The Elio team reads the Facebook comments and inquiries to our Tellmemore@eliomotors.com every day. Those topics that generate substantial input from our consumers are discussed both internally and with our external engineering partners on a continual basis. This example is no different. Given safety is a top priority for Elio Motors, the final design direction will enable the driver to access information from the instrument panel quickly. Once the design is closer to being finalized, you can bet that our reservation holders will be updated.

Personally I trust that Elio will not disappoint me, i have full faith in there engineers to make it something that is functional, safe, and unique to Elio.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really think to keep costs down they should stick with the original metro gauge cluster. Its simple, basic and not ugly.

Actually they should make a few changes so not everyone is like "hey that's a metro cluster".

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Eureka!!! An epiphany!!! A virtual instrument cluster that can be switched between pseudo analog (needles on dials), digital and SB. :cool: Unfortunately, cost probably won't allow it. :(

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why is everything a rumor with the Elio?

If they aren't sure which gauge cluster to use, why not just say "we are choosing between a, b, or c"?
Because giving real information would be a travesty. People would then not be able to speculate/guess, which seems to be what they want to do.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is everything a rumor with the Elio?

If they aren't sure which gauge cluster to use, why not just say "we are choosing between a, b, or c"?

I believe you are confusing Elio Motors official standing on items such as the gauge cluster with what happens on this discussion forum. While we do try and discuss facts here a lot of the discussion at this point invariably revolves around rumor and conjecture.

The truth is that Elio Motors does have an official public position on the Elgin gauge cluster:

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=671ea870d4&e
Additional items that are in consideration for the base model, but still require more research on pricing and production variations are:
  • A unique instrument cluster inspired by a Lord Elgin watch that belonged to Paul Elio’s father, as opposed to standard gauges that utilize a needle that points to the speed or RPM's. This design reveals such information via a window with a decorative solid surround

Anything else you may read on this forum about the Elgin dash is unconfirmed information. The information may, or may not, be true at the time however is subject to change as development of the vehicle continues. This is why the official Elio Motors position posted above is not likely to change for a while even if we hear about further developments through unofficial channels.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had not heard this before and would be interested to read it if anyone does know where to find the article.

The progression as I know it is that after the P5 is built this summer it will undergo some testing to determine whether it is acceptable or they need to work on the design some more and build a P6. When the final design is signed off on then a series 15-25 or so pre-production 'E" prototypes are planned for testing and final development of all aspects of this vehicle prior to production. It appears these E builds will not come off the assembly line in Shreveport but will likely be hand assembled by Technosports in Michigan. Most of E build batch will ultimately end up being crashed tested.

This next part is where I have heard something similar, but with some key differences, to what was posted above. I would consider this to be a RUMOR at this point as while it is plausible I just do not have enough confidence in the sources at this point. What I have heard is that as part of the assembly line configuration and employee training processes a number of pre-production vehicles will roll of the line in Shreveport, LA. I have heard that these final pre-production vehicles are the ones that will be used in the Elio tour that will feature test drives.

I don't have any new information, just some considerations. They will need to build a small series of P5.X (or P6) to verify or resolve manufactuability. Also for testing, as you suggest. But a true 5.x is some ways off, I think, because they have yet to produce a single engine … and they need $100 million just to cast the thing.

Frankly, I wish they'd gone with some other engine options -- something in the 100 hp range, or the new ecomotor POCO (opposed pistons in opposed cylinders). Far lower development cost (for existing engines, anyhow). But here we are, hoping the engine can be manufactured and stuffed into a P5 or P5.x….

If I were Paul Elio, I'd be reluctant to build a fleet of P5.x vehicles unless I were pretty darn sure that the only changes would be tweaks, not redesigns. This means, among other things, working to reduce the drag of the exposed suspension members, making sure the engine mounting points are where they will be in the final vehicle, and selecting the final transmissions. Lots of expensive stuff to do!

I'm as impatient as the rest of us to see a P5 … but they may not even be ready to build one, let alone 12 of 'em.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the P5, I'd like to see the door on the right (curb) side. Major safety improvement. I'd also like a back-up camera … i know this is an add-on, but I think it's essential. Bluetooth connectivity. (Maybe not in P5, but definitely on the production vehicle).

5 speed automatic, please, not CVT (I hate those things; they're whiny and not very responsive). Or 5 speed standard, but I'd like the automatic.

I'd like to see a little less slope to the roof, thus improving rear seat headroom / storage by a smidge.

I think I've seen a coffee cup holder in the P4, and there had better be one in the P5-- what kind of commuter doesn't want his coffee int he morning (or tea).

Since we're now seeing 55 hp as the rated horsepower for the production car, I'm going to beg and whine for more power, or a different engine. I'm not convinced the IAV is worth its development cost -- far from convinced! But I want the P5 to be able to demonstrate real-world acceleration and fuel economy, which means something very close to the "real" engine/tranny combination is a must.

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the P5, I'd like to see the door on the right (curb) side. Major safety improvement. I'd also like a back-up camera … i know this is an add-on, but I think it's essential. Bluetooth connectivity. (Maybe not in P5, but definitely on the production vehicle).

5 speed automatic, please, not CVT (I hate those things; they're whiny and not very responsive). Or 5 speed standard, but I'd like the automatic.

I'd like to see a little less slope to the roof, thus improving rear seat headroom / storage by a smidge.

I think I've seen a coffee cup holder in the P4, and there had better be one in the P5-- what kind of commuter doesn't want his coffee int he morning (or tea).

Since we're now seeing 55 hp as the rated horsepower for the production car, I'm going to beg and whine for more power, or a different engine. I'm not convinced the IAV is worth its development cost -- far from convinced! But I want the P5 to be able to demonstrate real-world acceleration and fuel economy, which means something very close to the "real" engine/tranny combination is a must.

How about this,,,,,YOU get what you get, then add what you can/want to add, then do what you want to do.

Top Bottom