• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P5

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing I haven't seen mentioned are grab bars. As I get older, I find them increasingly helpful getting in and out of the car. I think two would be great--one for the driver and one for the rear seat passenger. We intend to use ours frequently, with two people in the car.

Great point! Shouldn't be a problem - if there are secure mounting points available. It's like an old architect friend suggests: Anyone over 40 thinking about buying or building a new home should consider ADA structural compliance. It only costs a few hundred extra bucks to install support structure during construction. . . Grab bars are cheap, tearing intro home or car structure is EXPENSIVE.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The current Ferrari (and a number of other European supercars put a toggle on the console for F-N-R and leave the shifting to a set of paddles. To me, that would seem to make the problem worse.

True! modern Ferrari's are NOT a gearbox you want to emulate on a typical road going car especially a commuter! The lock-outs when shifting from F to R for things such as parallel parking are just not conducive to daily commuting. It doesn't really matter how long it takes to switch from forward to reverse in a race car, same goes for a tractor, but even just this morning I had someone behind me honk as I had to come to a full couple second long stop in a Nissan Leaf and wait for the electronic transmission controls to ALLOW me to simply reverse into a spot.:mad:

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
would be nice to have 2 doors not sure about a back door but for exiting at the sidewalk being your setting next to the sidewalk. exiting on the street can be a bit dangerous. and yes we all do it now but why not just make it safer. or just put the door on that side? and an automatic trans. the way the industry is going the manuals are going away anyway. the number of shifts we have to make now are just about like driving a big rig 12 to 15 gears means you never stop shifting that gets old after a bit. and i can see this car after it starts production going to more gears or a cvt. cvt's are to costly to repair. the cvt belt cost about as much as the car in the after market or service.
Because then the shifter or stick would be on the traffic side, or LEFT HAND side of the vehicle...can you imagine shifting left handed?

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Adding another door would add at least another 40 lbs. to the vehicle in framework alone, not to mention cost. Every pound makes additional demands more of suspension, brakes, engine . . . and so on. Soon it's no longer an Elio, it's a Chevy Spark.

Last edited:

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I read through all these wish list pages, I have a thought here and there that many have lost sight of the premise of this vehicle. Let Elio do their thing, by making the two options available, in the colors available, then you do YOUR thing by adding the items you want. KISS.
Some have mentioned having an incentive program for those getting others to put down their money. So, we have a start up company trying to get in the game, admittedly short on cash and now you want them to give you something for flapping your lips. When did we become such greedy SOB's? If you are really interested in getting an Elio of your own, do what you can to help them achieve their goal.
I like the concept enough to scrape up the grand as soon as I did my research and made up my mind that I wanted one and was reasonably sure I wasn't going to throw the money away. I don't know what options will be available for sure, what it will look like for sure, or what it will cost for sure. I do know that I will have one and if I want to add or delete things I will at my own discretion.
THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT !!!

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I read through all these wish list pages, I have a thought here and there that many have lost sight of the premise of this vehicle. Let Elio do their thing, by making the two options available, in the colors available, then you do YOUR thing by adding the items you want. KISS.
Some have mentioned having an incentive program for those getting others to put down their money. So, we have a start up company trying to get in the game, admittedly short on cash and now you want them to give you something for flapping your lips. When did we become such greedy SOB's? If you are really interested in getting an Elio of your own, do what you can to help them achieve their goal.
I like the concept enough to scrape up the grand as soon as I did my research and made up my mind that I wanted one and was reasonably sure I wasn't going to throw the money away. I don't know what options will be available for sure, what it will look like for sure, or what it will cost for sure. I do know that I will have one and if I want to add or delete things I will at my own discretion.
THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT !!!
What he said.:p

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As corvairbob stated, the door should be on the kerb side. This would cause lots of required modifications...

I'd also like a convertible option, without safety impact.

Finally I'd like something to reduce the visual height of the sides. This could be something as simple as a paint job.
Sorry, can't put the door on the right, even though it would be more practical. It would put gear shift on the left and people would hate that.
Convertible would be cool, but adds significant weight because you have to really redesign the frame, and there's the aerodynamic issue too. Without safety impact? Yeah, right. How would that work?
I think the sun/moon roof might be practical though. You get SOME of the convt. feel without much frame changes if any. It keeps the roll-cage largely in tact, and it might help with the clostrophobic-back-seat issue.

Top Bottom