• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Paul Elio Town Hall Meeting - January 17th, 2015 - Elio Motors Invitation Only Event

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Paul Elio just wrapped another Town Hall meeting with a select group of Elio reservation holders. It is a busy afternoon for me however I will post some highlights as I feel like I am leaving you all hanging. I will be back later with more details.

I am sure nobody is surprised to hear that EM financial health took up over half the hour long meeting. Paul Elio basically said that the primary issue they have encountered, which tossed a wrench into the plan, is that the equipment sale has not progressed nearly as fast as they were expecting.

The plan was to have the equipment proceeds pay for the engine and vehicle development while they worked on production funding via the private placement and/or the ATVM loan. What has happened is that it has taken longer to refurbish the equipment and get it out to sale and as a result they have not generated the amount of income at this point that they had been expecting to have. This income was essentially supposed to fund the company this year up to when production begins.

PE also clarified that they do not expect to get $200+ million in one shot and they would not want it all at once anyway as it costs money to get money and nobody, other than the government, would just hand them that much money at once anyway. Instead EM negotiates and receives funding in stages as various milestones are completed. This is why the engine news is so important to them from a financial perspective as this gives them a big milestone to shove off of while seeking another round of funding.

Some other highlight details include:

A/C is not all electric, they explored it however have decided on a traditional engine driven compressor setup.

Exhaust system to be detailed in a future Tech Talk.

OBD-II functionality may not be as crippled as we were previously led to believe. OBD-II connector will have full CAN BUS access thus bypassing the ECU for streaming data access. (This would make compatibility with OBD-II accessories hit or miss, as opposed to not being available at all, as some devices can make use of this information and others can not)

Electric power steering assist is confirmed and can easily be added after purchase.

Credit card financing plan will have minimum payment. Multiplier may not stay at 3x and/or may be variable between say 3x and 5x to allow for average fuel usage to actually cover the monthly minimum.

Initial sequence of engine testing is already more than halfway complete as actually running the engine is a minority component of the initial engine testing sequence. Current engine in testing is using the Flame Spray PTWA liner but not the variable lift system. Variable lift and other tweaks will be added during the next testing sequence however the engine itself could be replicated and run in vehicles even without this system in place.

Enjoy this information for now and I will post more when I have the opportunity. :cool:

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Deborah McAteer Posted this great recap on Facebook EMOA just about 20 minutes ago.

The Town Hall Meeting is one hour in length! Soooo, getting 58 questions presented/answered did not happen. I tried to look through the questions on my iPhone while participating in the meeting on my iPad; some of these questions have clearly already been answered or Elio Motors has already indicated that a propriety nature of some relationships exists, which keep them from being answered yet. Disclaimer here--I have a hearing deficiency, but I had my hearing aids on max.

Answers to many of the questions can be found on the Eio Motors site,http://www.eliomotors.com. If you click on the Support tab on the side, a box will come up where you can submit a question directly. I wish very much that every reservationist would make sure that they have read everything on there and are keeping up with any changes there. Elio puts a lot of resources into giving us information there; it is not just a marketing tool.

That being said ... here is some information on some of the questions:

1. Should the government loan be denied what alternatives would you seek to finance your startup company?

Paul has a lot of plans; things are not contingent on any one of them; that would be bad business. Funding was the primary topic, as should have been expected and was what almost all the other questions came back to. In addition, it was a topic on which there is proprietary information that cannot be shared at this time (understandable). Some things on funding that were expressed though included:
Corporate Fuel Securities was selected because its head has been a trusted personal banker for over 20 years;
Paul feels that there is reason to believe that Elio Motors will be approved for the DOE ATVM loan, but he is not at liberty to share the reasons behind that (again, understandable); he clarified for me that the DOE does NOT actually make the loans; they simply guarantee the loans, which must be applied for and issued by a lender; however, having the DOE guarantee makes getting loans easier.
Elio has never been looking for ALL the money at one time. There is a balance between meeting critical points of a project and having the funding available for them, which incurs debt for that funding. Many of you, who seem to have financial management expertise, have expressed the same concept.

2. Have you considered a digital fuel economy gauge unit? (showing instantaneous mpg as well as trip and tank mpg, resettable by the user.)

No. Integrating is the wrong way to go; technology advances too quickly; vehicles become outdated and they don't have to because the way Elio is going will allow new technology to be integrated as desired. "OBDII will be used MINUS something that would add a couple hundred dollars to the cost WITHOUT adding value". The current delay would not change anything related to OBDII. I'm not clear of what that something is, but I think he is talking about the data streaming. (Again, can someone else from the meeting help me here?)

3. What do you see as the biggest obstacle to Elio Motors? Would you say that it's financial or technological?

Balancing the financial needs throughout the project

4. Can you reveal the Transmission manufacturer for the manual trany? And have you narrowed down the supplier for the AMT – and is it still thought to be single clutch?

On the Elio website--yes. Aisen for both. Someone else needs to help me here--electronic throttle body will be used, not manual; will be similar to what is used in BMW3 and Smart Car. He took a note to maybe include more about this in a blog.

5. Who set the prices for the equipment being sold off by Comau?

Comau, and then they were approved by Elio Motors and lien holders. They have sold about 10% of what is listed on EBAY for at least 90% of list cost.

6. What has changed that Elio now needs more investors to bring the Elio to market?

See No. 1

7. What is the latest progress on changing requirements in the various states to conform to not having to wear a helmet or motorcycle endorsement? How can we find out who to contact in our local legislature to assist in this effort?

This is one of the questions that I did not ask because it has been answered in a pretty continuous manner by Elio. Joel Sheltrown, Government Affairs, seems to be doing an incredibly good job at this.

8. Due to the short fall of money to get the Elio to market causing a delay – How can we help?

They don't want to offer new opportunities to reservationists because it could mess up what has already been offered to current reservationists. I offered to pay the full base cost of my Elio without getting ANY extra perks; others indicated they would to, and he said that he would think about it.

9. Any word from the Government on the loan status?

Not at liberty to discuss

10. Best guess on when the E series will be produced?

When the funds are available, which is expected

11. When will we know the MPG of the manual vs AMT?

Another question that I did not spend time on - it seems logical to me that a date for such simply could not possibly be determined at this time, but they have stated in the past that the AMT is expected to get better mpg than the manual.

12. Is the ground clearance still felt to be about 5-6 inches?

Not asked due to time allotment; previously answered--the same as the Mustang.

13. What will be the configuration of the exhaust system?

He said this has been worked on by engineering and made a note to get more information on this included in a future blog.

14. First year still a no-go for trailer hitch option?

Not asked due to time constraint. They have stated that they will not support towing. On their website, anyone can click on support and submit a question.

15. For reservationists when we pick ours up at the factory will it be as ordered or will the extras have to be installed at branch facilities?

Good discussion on this one--at first, options will be put on through a marshaling center at the factory, because it is not expected to have them all up and running when the first ones are produced.

16. With the engine nearing completion what is the next major step?

A series of testing and tweeking on dynamomoter.

22. Has any of the equipment been sold yet?

Yes, about 10% at 90% + of list costs

23. The new engine shows an A/C compressor mounted – we saw reports that the A/C would be electric… is this still the case?

An electric AC was considered but was decided against; it will not be electric.

24. What is the option to picking up at the plant? Delivery costs?

Delivery costs will need to be covered but they will be fair according to what it costs Elio; this will not be a big markup item

26. When are you scheduling independent crash testing?

This was discussed, but WHEN cannot be answered at this time. Safety testing is very standardized between the independent testing facilities of which there are many. They all use the same tests used by NHTSA, but Elio needs the testing to be comparing apples to apples and some of the testing criteria will be thought about in terms of what makes them comparable from a 4-wheel vehicle to a 3-wheel vehicle. People are looking at that; it should be fair.

30. Progress on alternatives to Pep-Boys in areas where they don’t exist.

Pep Boys partnership with Elio should be very good for them; in an industry that is declining, they may see growth of about 15% per year; a lot of training will be needed, but this partnership should put them in a position to add more stores in the market of Elio and meet the needs.

31. Will financing (gas card, etc.) be available day one for Elio reservists or will it be our responsibility?

This is still under development but one person suggested that Elio consider allowing for a higher multiplier (than 3) and Paul thought that was something to be considered. Remember, no decisions are made in these TH meetings; they are intended to get feedback in a controlled environment and give new insights.

Sorry, folks, but I have to go to something that I had already planned and have run out of time for now. I think that MOST of these questions are good questions but made too early. The meeting is ONLY 60 minutes long and there was no where near enough time to present all of these. Paul was very confident, and I came away from the meeting feeling very good about Elio Motors' ability to continue on with this project successfully!

Last edited:

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious what happened to the block that was obviously sleeved? Just guessing that it may have had casting flaws that the sleeves attempted to patch?

Not being negative, just that this stuff is potentially history being written. Perhaps one day that prototype block will sell for big money at auction.

Pretty sure I'm on record around here somewhere as being in favor of the flame spray.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
upload_2015-1-17_16-3-51.jpeg

Top Bottom