• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Paul Elio Town Hall Meeting - January 17th, 2015 - Elio Motors Invitation Only Event

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't think of that but I should have. I had a 351W bored and the engine shop showed me one cylinder that was so thin it needed to be sleeved. Now, this isn't a Ford vs. Chevy thing but the guy who owned the shop said it was rare to see a Ford with those cavities in the casting and that it was much more common in Chevrolets. It must be due to how they are cast and not necessarily an indication of quality. Anyway, from that experience, it makes sense turnaround off casting may have voids in the first round. The fix would be to sleeve it. Now, the question is can you flame spray a cylinder that was sleeved? Why not?

You sure could. It would kinda defeat the purpose of flame spray - ie saving money by reducing machining costs and assembly processes though.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks G1 for the continual supply of factual information.
You're a good man and have the patience of Jobe.
All of the Moderators are dedicated and intelligent folks with a basic belief in Elio and contribute way beyond their responsibilities.

Being relatively new to Elio and this blog, August 2014, I have observed, studied and participated with a lot of personal enjoyment and made what I hope is some long term associations. The predominance of the people here represent a great deal of knowledge and experience. For your contributions I will always be personally grateful. I've gained a ton of knowledge that I will use the rest of my life.

To those who have chosen another way to be a part of this media by detracting and pessimistic displays, your contributions are predictable, but unnecessary in the overall scheme of things. Elio will either succeed or fail, while nothing you do, will be remembered beyond the slight annoyance you created. You will quietly slither back under your rock without fanfare and, eventually, be forgotten. You will not dull or sully the experience the rest of us have as a piece of history is written.

Our "Ignore" button is a wondrous and powerful tool.

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious what happened to the block that was obviously sleeved? Just guessing that it may have had casting flaws that the sleeves attempted to patch?

Not being negative, just that this stuff is potentially history being written. Perhaps one day that prototype block will sell for big money at auction.

Pretty sure I'm on record around here somewhere as being in favor of the flame spray.

Please accept my apologies ahead of time if I misconstrued your question.

I am sure like most prototypes they are scrapped if only for the reason they have no use and who wants to spend any valuable resources preserving any history. (who knows if there is any relevant history worth preserving at this time)
If they get "preserved" means that someone put them/that in a corner not being used or needed and eventually someone remembers.

Sleeve-ing an engine has not much to do about the quality of the casting in an aluminum block, but is the necessity of needing a harder wear service.
The engine was going to have a separate sleeve or flame spray all along. not an option. Flame spray was just a more cost accountable way to manufacture.

I do not know of any Auto engine made that has bare alum cylinder walls (small engines are a different story) .
The life span is just to short for an automobile.

Last edited:

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OBD-II functionality may not be as crippled as we were previously led to believe. OBD-II connector will have full CAN BUS access thus bypassing the ECU for streaming data access. (This would make compatibility with OBD-II accessories hit or miss, as opposed to not being available at all, as some devices can make use of this information and others can not)

Thank you for the great update on the TH meeting!

I am a bit dismayed with the "hit or mis" aspect of the ODB-ll accessory compatibility. I'd be very happy if the engine was designed completely old school or completely compatible. The hit or miss stuff drives me up the wall. I have a dream (RIP Dr MLK) that I'll be able to run my ODB Fusion app off my iPhone 6Plus as a real time stat and diagnostic tool in the Elio but since you have to have an ELM327 wifi connector to connect to the vehicle, now, who knows.

None the less thanks for the update.;)

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I am a bit dismayed with the "hit or mis" aspect of the ODB-ll accessory compatibility. I'd be very happy if the engine was designed completely old school or completely compatible. The hit or miss stuff drives me up the wall. I have a dream (RIP Dr MLK) that I'll be able to run my ODB Fusion app off my iPhone 6Plus as a real time stat and diagnostic tool in the Elio but since you have to have an ELM327 wifi connector to connect to the vehicle, now, who knows.

?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCBsSTxbfEv3t1Z4knXiyCf09FNDo1Wbr1VOwWTNYEts0trbsuVfjxzPm3O0sBGy1kRt4_2-Gp&usqp=CAE.jpg

ELM327 WIFI OBD2 EOBD Scan Tool
WIFI327 OBD2 scanner is the latest PC-based scan tool.It supports all OBD-II protocols and is dispatched with a number of compatible programs. The output protocol (connection ...

See more details at chinacardiag.com »
$13.15
Free shipping. No tax
chinacardiag.com

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Based on this latest information the ELM327 adapter will work. The issue would be with what applications, or functions within applications, are compatible with this OBD-II implementation.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
G1,
Let me add my thanks as well for your update information on the current situation... I've been reading all the comments for the past couple of days after "The Letter", and have been hoping that some follow up would be provided by EM. As for me, while being a bit disappointed by the delay announcement, I am not disheartened and am "endeavoring to persevere"... :)
When I went "all in", I did so with the knowledge that it was an informed wager but a wager nonetheless, and if I "crap out" it is a just another life lesson learned. Let me also say my willingness to invest in the Elio was at least 50% based off of the proposition that the company is to be a startup of a U.S. manufacturing concern employing Americans, and using mostly U.S. manufactured materials. Something that is sorely needed in my opinion. On top of all that I get a really neat, efficient, unique vehicle at a great price! :D Wotta deal!!! So, hang in there folks I think EM will get there, maybe by the "road less traveled", but will get there for sure... IMHO...

"He either fears his fate too much, or his desserts are small, who would not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all."- Montrose

:cool:h_r

Absolutely LOVE the "endeavor to persevere" quote. Outlaw Josey Wales, Chief Lone Wahtee (sp?).

Several great quotes from that movie:

"You carry a piece of rock candy?" "Yep, but it's not for eatin'. It's just fer............ lookin' through."

Josey is facing a bounty hunter, and says "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

A bad guy told Josey to remove his guns from his holster. "You move real slow, like molasses in winter time."

And many, many, more. lol

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCBsSTxbfEv3t1Z4knXiyCf09FNDo1Wbr1VOwWTNYEts0trbsuVfjxzPm3O0sBGy1kRt4_2-Gp&usqp=CAE.jpg

ELM327 WIFI OBD2 EOBD Scan Tool
WIFI327 OBD2 scanner is the latest PC-based scan tool.It supports all OBD-II protocols and is dispatched with a number of compatible programs. The output protocol (connection ...

See more details at chinacardiag.com »
$13.15
Free shipping. No tax
chinacardiag.com

I plan on using my Ultraguage it just plugs in and has its own display. Which you can set up according to what information is available. Makes it nice and easy to see what is happening without any other equipment.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Absolutely LOVE the "endeavor to persevere" quote. Outlaw Josey Wales, Chief Lone Wahtee (sp?).

Several great quotes from that movie:

"You carry a piece of rock candy?" "Yep, but it's not for eatin'. It's just fer............ lookin' through."

Josey is facing a bounty hunter, and says "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

A bad guy told Josey to remove his guns from his holster. "You move real slow, like molasses in winter time."

And many, many, more. lol

I'm partial to : "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Top Bottom