• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Paul Elio Town Hall Meeting - January 17th, 2015 - Elio Motors Invitation Only Event

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious what happened to the block that was obviously sleeved? Just guessing that it may have had casting flaws that the sleeves attempted to patch?

Not being negative, just that this stuff is potentially history being written. Perhaps one day that prototype block will sell for big money at auction.

Pretty sure I'm on record around here somewhere as being in favor of the flame spray.

That is a good question. I know there has been more than one cylinder head cast as we noticed the Elio logo had managed to rotate between a set of photos. It is very possible there has also been more than one block cast over the last year as thing have progressed as well.

Hopefully in the future we will get to understand a lot more of the interesting little details which happen behind scenes during a project like this.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
G1,
Let me add my thanks as well for your update information on the current situation... I've been reading all the comments for the past couple of days after "The Letter", and have been hoping that some follow up would be provided by EM. As for me, while being a bit disappointed by the delay announcement, I am not disheartened and am "endeavoring to persevere"... :)
When I went "all in", I did so with the knowledge that it was an informed wager but a wager nonetheless, and if I "crap out" it is a just another life lesson learned. Let me also say my willingness to invest in the Elio was at least 50% based off of the proposition that the company is to be a startup of a U.S. manufacturing concern employing Americans, and using mostly U.S. manufactured materials. Something that is sorely needed in my opinion. On top of all that I get a really neat, efficient, unique vehicle at a great price! :D Wotta deal!!! So, hang in there folks I think EM will get there, maybe by the "road less traveled", but will get there for sure... IMHO...

"He either fears his fate too much, or his desserts are small, who would not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all."- Montrose

:cool:h_r

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
G1,
Let me add my thanks as well for your update information on the current situation... I've been reading all the comments for the past couple of days after "The Letter", and have been hoping that some follow up would be provided by EM. As for me, while being a bit disappointed by the delay announcement, I am not disheartened and am "endeavoring to persevere"... :)
When I went "all in", I did so with the knowledge that it was an informed wager but a wager nonetheless, and if I "crap out" it is a just another life lesson learned. Let me also say my willingness to invest in the Elio was at least 50% based off of the proposition that the company is to be a startup of a U.S. manufacturing concern employing Americans, and using mostly U.S. manufactured materials. Something that is sorely needed in my opinion. On top of all that I get a really neat, efficient, unique vehicle at a great price! :D Wotta deal!!! So, hang in there folks I think EM will get there, maybe by the "road less traveled", but will get there for sure... IMHO...

"He either fears his fate too much, or his desserts are small, who would not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all."- Montrose

Very well put, and I couldn't agree more. I too am one to "endeavoring to persevere".
I looked at my all in investment like the money I take to Reno; if I bring something back, I'm that much further ahead, if I come back empty handed that's fine, I did it my way and better luck next time.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps a little entertainment while we wait.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/7-UTRIln9Pk?rel=0
clapping.gif
Very Entertainment........forgot to get some popcorn before I watch.....
popcorn.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious what happened to the block that was obviously sleeved? Just guessing that it may have had casting flaws that the sleeves attempted to patch?

Not being negative, just that this stuff is potentially history being written. Perhaps one day that prototype block will sell for big money at auction.

Pretty sure I'm on record around here somewhere as being in favor of the flame spray.
I didn't think of that but I should have. I had a 351W bored and the engine shop showed me one cylinder that was so thin it needed to be sleeved. Now, this isn't a Ford vs. Chevy thing but the guy who owned the shop said it was rare to see a Ford with those cavities in the casting and that it was much more common in Chevrolets. It must be due to how they are cast and not necessarily an indication of quality. Anyway, from that experience, it makes sense turnaround off casting may have voids in the first round. The fix would be to sleeve it. Now, the question is can you flame spray a cylinder that was sleeved? Why not?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 4394 Very Entertainment........forgot to get some popcorn before I watch.....View attachment 4395
Well, if you have the balance and poise to do a horizontal handstand with a 100 pound girl on your neck, you can do about anything! Somehow it kept reminding me of Paul Elio trying to keep the project up and moving....

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hawg; I hope you don't mind me translating "Sanctified Feces" for the unwashed masses. In other words Hawg_rider is saying " holy shXt what a great show." LMAO
Folks,
Glad ya enjoyed it... I wish it was an original but I have to confess borrowing it from a character in a book I was reading... "The Quantum Mechanic"... The character was an AI with very "Mr. Data" like qualities... ;)

Top Bottom