• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pep Boys To Provide Service / Maintenance

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps a little too premature but talked (via phone) to Pep Boys store managers (Waco and Dallas).
They currently have no information what-so-ever concerning future Elio service arrangements or policy.

Anyone try to talk to Pep Boys personnel in your area ?

it's not too premature to discuss ANYTHING about our Elios- Aside from just a (very) few basic facts, most of the forums are chatter, socializing, and fantasizing !! I too have checked-out my local Peps and not too excited about them. Paul Elio and his team will, as they progress towards production will get it all ironed out- or not!! It's now all just dreams.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why would they when it's more than a year before the Elio will be on the street? Please don't waste people's time this far ahead of production.

Call them back in September of next year. If they haven't heard anything by then, then you can be concerned.

waste people's time!!!! No more than any of us. Anyone who only reads Elio's blog, and their web-site, would have as much "facts" about the car than all the speculations and forums on this site. It's a great socializing experience learning so much from so many, but it's all speculation you can fall down laughing on (the thread) on which side the gas cap should be (lol)
and there are hundreds of comments like them. The thread runs forever on the engine, getting it up to 200hp, sleeve linings,
compression ratios, oil plug locations, accessories on and on, and on. I'm sure that it is one of the contributing factors why only about 2,500 are registered (some who no longer monitor the site, which is not limited to the 35k reservationists, plus the rest of planet.

DaveM

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I will admit that I was slightly amused and then slightly horrified when I became aware that Pep Boys (of all possibilities) would be the official service centers for the Elio.
Really? Pep Boys? "mechanic" who appear to be high school aged boys with wanna'-be hot rods in the employee parking area from what I've seen. They MAY have mechanics that know what they're doing, but my limited experience with Pep Boys service came when I wanted a quick oil change. Simple....no? NO.
I was trying to take advantage of a discount oil change coupon that they offered in an advertized..... 5 quarts and a filter for $20+-.
First, I was told that my car required ONLY synthetic oil (not covered on the deal). Then I was told that, even though I new differently, my car took NINE quarts. AND, that I needed a very special oil filter that cost $19 on it's own.
When I suggested that I have been using regular oil for the last 100K miles and that the owners manual plainly states a 5.7 quart engine oil capacity, and that I have purchased filters from WalMart in the past....the service agent said, "Sorry, we won't deviate from our information on your car". So, I drove next store to Jiffy Lube and got it done in 15 minutes and $24.
My son, who is a top level auto tech in Phoenix with every SAE Certification you can earn, actually laughed when I told him that Elio is to be serviced at Pep Boys.
Now, others may have a better feeling about this plan than I do, but it will take a lot for me to feel confident about the choice.
Don't get me wrong!....this concern will NOT alter my plan to be an owner, but, Pep Boys.....Really?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Until everything is finalized in the design of the vehicle it would be a waist of time to train anyone on the service section of the industry or to even have them involved till the point that they will be in the position to start working on the vehicles. To train now with the turn over in the industry would be a waist of time and money.
Nobody said anything about training that certainly comes later after production vehicles are built, tested and finalized. It's freakin general awareness that Elio exists or in the case of the one store employee that did know said oh that will never make it when it's an official partnership! We know about it and they don't...............it's a puzzle.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's exactly like gas powered said.
I work for one of the largest public corporations in the US.
The employees don't know anything until we read about it in the newspaper or online, or it's the very day before a change takes place.
That's just the way things are now.
As far as PB promoting the Elio...
There is no immediate benefit to them in doing so.
We have become a reactive society as apposed to being a proactive society.
It takes months for most corporations to correct, or do away with, systems that have proven to be harmful to them.
Sometimes it takes years. Generally, it's not about "teamwork", a philosophy, or a plan.
It's more about the middle management employee constantly increasing his or her productivity or else.
It's management based on fear and passing the buck to make oneself look better than the poor sap next to you by any means available.
Corporations are so badly departmentalized and fragmented now that there are probably still top members of PB's brass that are clueless.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will admit that I was slightly amused and then slightly horrified when I became aware that Pep Boys (of all possibilities) would be the official service centers for the Elio.
Really? Pep Boys? "mechanic" who appear to be high school aged boys with wanna'-be hot rods in the employee parking area from what I've seen. They MAY have mechanics that know what they're doing, but my limited experience with Pep Boys service came when I wanted a quick oil change. Simple....no? NO.
I was trying to take advantage of a discount oil change coupon that they offered in an advertized..... 5 quarts and a filter for $20+-.
First, I was told that my car required ONLY synthetic oil (not covered on the deal). Then I was told that, even though I new differently, my car took NINE quarts. AND, that I needed a very special oil filter that cost $19 on it's own.
When I suggested that I have been using regular oil for the last 100K miles and that the owners manual plainly states a 5.7 quart engine oil capacity, and that I have purchased filters from WalMart in the past....the service agent said, "Sorry, we won't deviate from our information on your car". So, I drove next store to Jiffy Lube and got it done in 15 minutes and $24.
My son, who is a top level auto tech in Phoenix with every SAE Certification you can earn, actually laughed when I told him that Elio is to be serviced at Pep Boys.
Now, others may have a better feeling about this plan than I do, but it will take a lot for me to feel confident about the choice.
Don't get me wrong!....this concern will NOT alter my plan to be an owner, but, Pep Boys.....Really?

amen!! I too had exactly the same experience at two of the local "Peppers"- which I posted, You're not alone.BTW the whanna be hot rods are toyota's with rims Cat back pipes, and a spoiler,!!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The employees don't know anything until we read about it in the newspaper or online, or it's the very day before a change takes place.
It takes months for most corporations to correct, or do away with, systems that have proven to be harmful to them.
Sometimes it takes years. Generally, it's not about "teamwork", a philosophy, or a plan.
It's more about the middle management employee constantly increasing his or her productivity or else.
It's management based on fear and passing the buck to make oneself look better than the poor sap next to you by any means available.
Corporations are so badly departmentalized and fragmented now that there are probably still top members of PB's brass that are clueless.

That said, the "employees" will still not be able to do much more than they are currently i.e. oil change, wipers, batteries, tires etc - Labor for certified mechanics doesn't come cheap and I believe, unless they build stand alone or "attached" to Elio "dealers" service centers, whatever the corporate hierarchy expects will not be achievable with the current work force And with a new CEO, (and HIS new vision) will not cut it. That said ,Elio will not be reimbursing warranty work at current dealer rates, and has stepped into PEP boys centers- which we know they know, so lets just see how this shakes out

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I just recently ripped up my kitchen floor and found news papers from Dec 5, 1937 and found some cool ads.
img025.jpg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's certainly not Paul Elio's business model and don't think he would partner with a company that didn't share his business philosophy...........wait a minute........maybe he has. Manny, Moe, Jack, and Paul!

Irregardless I am using my trusted mechanic for service work.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Irregardless I am using my trusted mechanic for service work.

so long as its under warranty, I'll take it where EM will pay for it .... once is out of warranty, I'll make a decision based on the quality of warranty service as to where I'll take it

Jim

Top Bottom