• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll ---- Your interest in an electric Elio ?

Are you likely to be in the market for such a vehicle ?

• YES

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • NO

Votes: 46 54.1%

• Total voters

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about the Koenigsegg 3 cylinder engine that produces 600 horsepower?
;)
Cars Blog.

Koenigsegg-car-engine-B-12-10-1024x640.jpg
Lol that poor engine shouldn't be working that hard!

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A vehicle that does this well with fuel economy when gas powered doesn't need to be electric. I would rather have a gas powered Elio, but with a more powerful engine. To me the 55 HP engine will leave a lot to be desired performance wise. There's no reason they couldn't use something like the Toyota 1.5 liter Yaris engine, or the Honda Fit engine. These would be dependable and more powerful choices. Fuel economy would still be incredible, as would be the performance...
Elio is no longer going to use their own engine they had designed by IAV. No information has been released on what engine they plan to use. So the Toyota 1.5 or the Honda Fit might very well be the one. Nobody knows.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is no longer going to use their own engine they had designed by IAV. No information has been released on what engine they plan to use. So the Toyota 1.5 or the Honda Fit might very well be the one. Nobody knows.

If I remember correctly, didn't Elio sign up with Roush first – to help figure out the engine after they decided to scrap their own? Does Roush still have the strong connect with Ford? I'm afraid it's all mute as they're going first with electric (if they go at all). Anyone heard any new news from Elio? I haven't heard a word myself.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, didn't Elio sign up with Roush first – to help figure out the engine after they decided to scrap their own? Does Roush still have the strong connect with Ford? I'm afraid it's all mute as they're going first with electric (if they go at all). Anyone heard any new news from Elio? I haven't heard a word myself.
Elio has been working with Roush since 2015. Also, Roush has strong ties to about every manufacturer of automobiles, trucks and military equipment on the planet. Not just Ford. On the other hand, I think Elio was going with the VW 3 cylinder engine since Elio has strong ties to IAV since they are owned by VW and Continental. IAV designed and developed the VW 3 cylinder. Plus, Elio has strong ties with Continental as they supplied the ABS/Stability/TC system, tires and ECU for the Elio. So Elio got the detailed info for the VW engine from their partners and asked Roush if it would fit. That's what I think.

Also, the pic of the Koenigsegg in the previous post is of the twin turbo V8. Here's a video explaining the 3 cylinder and it's from one of the few non Elio employees that have driven an actual Elio. So maybe he might be the guy to contact as he has a direct line to Paul.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio has been working with Roush since 2015. Also, Roush has strong ties to about every manufacturer of automobiles, trucks and military equipment on the planet. Not just Ford. On the other hand, I think Elio was going with the VW 3 cylinder engine since Elio has strong ties to IAV since they are owned by VW and Continental. IAV designed and developed the VW 3 cylinder. Plus, Elio has strong ties with Continental as they supplied the ABS/Stability/TC system, tires and ECU for the Elio. So Elio got the detailed info for the VW engine from their partners and asked Roush if it would fit. That's what I think.

Also, the pic of the Koenigsegg in the previous post is of the twin turbo V8. Here's a video explaining the 3 cylinder and it's from one of the few non Elio employees that have driven an actual Elio. So maybe he might be the guy to contact as he has a direct line to Paul.
Thanks for the info.... that all makes sense. It's been so long ago since we were all in heavy discussions, I forgot about the IAV and Continental connections. At the pace Elio is moving, there may never be an ICE version. Just an electric, if that....

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My commute is 75 miles round trip. A lot of hills between me and work. Cold weather reduces electric mileage significantly. Even if it were only a commuter, it really won't work for me. Give me the ICE I signed up for please..
sadly for most of us, that ain't likely to happen .... moving on the a BEX appears to be our best and only option

Top Bottom