• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll ---- Your interest in an electric Elio ?

Are you likely to be in the market for such a vehicle ?

• YES

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • NO

Votes: 46 54.1%

• Total voters

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What people need to remember is that necessity is the mother of invention. Thus recycling will happen and it will be developed because it will be required. So when people think that all of the old EV batteries will just be thrown into a landfill, is shortsighted. Remember, there was a time where we did not recycle lead acid batteries. Yet we ended up doing it because of the disaster of just throwing them into a landfill was not a long term was not going to work. So, we developed the way to recycle those batteries too. The same will happen with current and future EV batteries.

Look at ICE vehicles. Many people change their oil between 3000 and 5000 miles. So, that oil has to be recycled or reused in other industries. At one time is was not and people just poured it down storm sewers or just dug a pit, then threw it in there. Add into that, I don;t know if anyone has ever had an oil leak on their car and just lived with it but I see many that do. That oil is thrown down on the road and washed to the side over time and then into the ground.

In the end, ICE and EV's can coexist and it's good to see both on the road. Neither is a perfect solution but at least we are trying something else as opposed to just sticking with the same thing. With Elio coming out soon with their EV and then the ICE version, they will have a great product offering. Hopefully Paul will update us on his status as it's been 5 months since this groundbreaking announcement.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the end, ICE and EV's can coexist and it's good to see both on the road. Neither is a perfect solution but at least we are trying something else as opposed to just sticking with the same thing. With Elio coming out soon with their EV and then the ICE version, they will have a great product offering. Hopefully Paul will update us on his status as it's been 5 months since this groundbreaking announcement.
Fully agree. Quite surprised the excitement died so fast.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fully agree. Quite surprised the excitement died so fast.
It doesn't suprise me. The F500 motor that Elio is going to use was short lived in it's excitement (since we have no idea what it is and that the announcement was only a short 3.5 years ago). Same for the Eliocoin (approximately the same time). I suspect that you can only make so many announcements that never come through and then even the hard core supporters lose interest and faith. What we need is an office pool on when and what the next announcement will come. That will generate more interest.

Reaction score
It doesn't suprise me. The F500 motor that Elio is going to use was short lived in it's excitement (since we have no idea what it is and that the announcement was only a short 3.5 years ago). Same for the Eliocoin (approximately the same time). I suspect that you can only make so many announcements that never come through and then even the hard core supporters lose interest and faith. What we need is an office pool on when and what the next announcement will come. That will generate more interest.
So, this is where everybody is hanging out? 2 bucks on March 18th. I believe that is about when the next SEC report is do, right? Anyways, It's good to make contact with you all.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, this is where everybody is hanging out? 2 bucks on March 18th. I believe that is about when the next SEC report is do, right? Anyways, It's good to make contact with you all.
We need to bet using Eliocoins (EC). I'll bet 2EC that it'll be March 19th. They will wait a day and then make an announcement. For 5EC, the announcement is, "We are looking for funding and it's been promising. The production date potentially will be the first quarter of 2024."

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the question about an electric Elio should be changed to:

"If an electric Elio or a Elio like vehicle were made (like a BEX version), which would you prefer?"

I would be most interested in an Elio like vehicle, but not an Elio. Not anymore.

I simply cannot trust Paul Elio and what he said and does not say. Anything he could come up with in a short time will be somewhat cobbled together and the engineering would be questionable.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the question about an electric Elio should be changed to:

"If an electric Elio or a Elio like vehicle were made (like a BEX version), which would you prefer?"

I would be most interested in an Elio like vehicle, but not an Elio. Not anymore.

I simply cannot trust Paul Elio and what he said and does not say. Anything he could come up with in a short time will be somewhat cobbled together and the engineering would be questionable.
"I would be most interested in an Elio like vehicle, but not an Elio. Not anymore."

You took the words right out of my mouth. This is why I'm pulling hard for the BEX.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is an "Elio Like Vehicle"? There were many selling points of the Elio and I wonder what people would be willing to give up. Look at the Elio selling points that got people to put down a deposit:

1. 84 mpg
2. $6800 (later changed to $7450)
3. Five star crash rating (dropped to engineered to the highest safety standards)
4. Three airbags
5. ABS, TC and stability control
6. 3 year 36K warranty
7. Nationwide service, parts and warranty through Pep Boys
8. Fully customizable through Elio My Way
9. Delivery to your door or through one of the 120 Elio showrooms
10. Made in USA with 90% North American content)

So, it seems people will now have to give up something to get an Elio Like vehicle. Is it that a handful just want a three wheeler just so it can be a garage queen and use it as a conversation piece (like a Vanderhall) yet be cheaper? If it breaks down like that guy who bought the Arcimoto knockoff, would they be willing to put up with months and months of a trying to get just the correct part to get it back on the road?

The BEX is an example of a one man trying to make a three wheeler but you are all seeing how long that takes. Just over a year of posts on this site alone and it's not even a rolling chassis. So, you can see that to get it to the point of even a kit car, has got to be 12-18 months away. I'm suspecting that this will be the test mule. After that, it'll have to be refined and brought up to a mass manufactured design to get the price down to what people have in their head as "affordable". So it becomes a balance of mass production or a boutique vehicle.

I think that Elio set the bar so high that it was not attainable and some people think that it somehow can still be reached. Even just throwing on the "electric" monkier is not going to make it a reality unless the whole business plan gets an overhaul. Just look at Arcimoto. I see that the $11,900 model seems to be converted into the $17,900 model. That thing is a no doors and it's open air vehicle. If I want half doors, then the price jumps to $20,400. Then it only has heated grips and seat, no HVAC system. For Elio to think that they can give everything from their business plan and deliver it for $3K less than the base Arcimoto, is wishful thinking.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is an "Elio Like Vehicle"? There were many selling points of the Elio and I wonder what people would be willing to give up. Look at the Elio selling points that got people to put down a deposit:

1. 84 mpg
2. $6800 (later changed to $7450)
3. Five star crash rating (dropped to engineered to the highest safety standards)
4. Three airbags
5. ABS, TC and stability control
6. 3 year 36K warranty
7. Nationwide service, parts and warranty through Pep Boys
8. Fully customizable through Elio My Way
9. Delivery to your door or through one of the 120 Elio showrooms
10. Made in USA with 90% North American content)

So, it seems people will now have to give up something to get an Elio Like vehicle. Is it that a handful just want a three wheeler just so it can be a garage queen and use it as a conversation piece (like a Vanderhall) yet be cheaper? If it breaks down like that guy who bought the Arcimoto knockoff, would they be willing to put up with months and months of a trying to get just the correct part to get it back on the road?

The BEX is an example of a one man trying to make a three wheeler but you are all seeing how long that takes. Just over a year of posts on this site alone and it's not even a rolling chassis. So, you can see that to get it to the point of even a kit car, has got to be 12-18 months away. I'm suspecting that this will be the test mule. After that, it'll have to be refined and brought up to a mass manufactured design to get the price down to what people have in their head as "affordable". So it becomes a balance of mass production or a boutique vehicle.

I think that Elio set the bar so high that it was not attainable and some people think that it somehow can still be reached. Even just throwing on the "electric" monkier is not going to make it a reality unless the whole business plan gets an overhaul. Just look at Arcimoto. I see that the $11,900 model seems to be converted into the $17,900 model. That thing is a no doors and it's open air vehicle. If I want half doors, then the price jumps to $20,400. Then it only has heated grips and seat, no HVAC system. For Elio to think that they can give everything from their business plan and deliver it for $3K less than the base Arcimoto, is wishful thinking.
For me, Elio like, means three wheels, 2 front driven wheels, fully enclosed, 4 season. The rest of it depends on what is offered. If someone offered an Elio like for instance that "only" got 70 mpg, I would be interested for the right price. Electric? Sure, if it has the range of a couple hundred miles. Not real picky on many of the options Elio did have and most can be purchased online anyway. It comes down to trust that it can be kept running.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me, Elio like, means three wheels, 2 front driven wheels, fully enclosed, 4 season. The rest of it depends on what is offered. If someone offered an Elio like for instance that "only" got 70 mpg, I would be interested for the right price. Electric? Sure, if it has the range of a couple hundred miles. Not real picky on many of the options Elio did have and most can be purchased online anyway. It comes down to trust that it can be kept running.
So if I built a three wheeler that was gas powered, FWD, had heat and enclosed, what would you pay for that? Remember, all of the other items that were mentioned in my previous post, are not included as this will meet your criteria. There has to be a price and saying that it's "priced right" could mean $50K to one person and $5K to another. In the end, what you ask for, can be done by at least a dozen custom car crafters out there. Problem is, it will not be the Elio price. That can only be reached with mass production on a scale where it would make the pickup truck market look small. As I have found out here, the Vanderhall is way over the price people are willing to pay, so that means, $30K is way too much. Plus its not 4 season. So, to get 4 season probably would run you in the range of $50K if they would build it for you.

What I'm getting at is that Polaris, Arcimoto and Vanderhall can't make even make a 3 season three wheeler for under $18K. So what makes people think that someone else can? This is why it would have to be a bare bones, no warranty and no service vehicle. Thus you are on your own once you get it and then hope for the best. Even Factory 5 starts at $10K for a kit car that you need to dump another $20K into and numerous hours of labor.

Top Bottom