• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Positive News From Elio

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, but the overall value proposition diminishes rather quickly as the price goes up. It's only a few hundred dollars a year saving on gas between the Elio and a Versa (12k miles/yr and $2.75/gal). The disadvantage of only being a two passenger vehicle (or one passenger + any meaningful cargo) needs to be made up somehow and I don't think the better mileage will do it on its own.

Way more pluck for the buck....

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, but the overall value proposition diminishes rather quickly as the price goes up. It's only a few hundred dollars a year saving on gas between the Elio and a Versa (12k miles/yr and $2.75/gal). The disadvantage of only being a two passenger vehicle (or one passenger + any meaningful cargo) needs to be made up somehow and I don't think the better mileage will do it on its own.
Again, this is an "and" vehicle. For me, this will be my primary mode of transportation as I drive 500+ mi per week. Insurance should be cheaper, if you have toll roads, this should be cheaper than a 4 wheeler, etc, etc, etc. So many different ways to marker this vehicle to the masses.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

By your numbers:

Versa Manual 36MPG highway 12000 x $2.75 = $916.66
Elip 84MPG highway 12000 x $2.75 = $392.87
$523.79 difference.

24000 miles will save $1000, not an insignificant amount to longer commuters and it would pay for itself in 5 years compared to the Versa (assuming a $10,000 Elio).

Don't be surprised if the Elio actually decreases in price if the production rate goes high enough.

Also, you comparing a year end blow out price for the Versa to an introductory price of the Elio.

So apples to apples:
Versa MSRP around $12,000 (Not including tag, tax, title, dealer service, dealer prep, port charge) Base model Standard shift
Elio MSRP around $7300 (also bare bones)
A $4700 difference.
(or a $1600 difference if I include ALL of the options current available)

After 5 years of moderate commuting, it's a savings of $9700.
Enough to buy another Elio, or a nice vacation every year for 5 years.

It's the compound savings that seem to evade such a large portion of the population.
Missing these savings contribute to a loss of opportunity and Quality of Life for the long term.

But, if having 2 or 3 empty seats is THAT important to you..... enjoy your Versa. :cool:

CE

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. As price of gas becomes lower, the mileage advantage disappears.

They need to emphasize some other features as well.
They need to emphasize its sporty looks by at least showing what it can look like with stylish paint schemes.
They need to make the turbo option and the turbo retrofit kit available quickly.

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. As price of gas becomes lower, the mileage advantage disappears.

They need to emphasize some other features as well.
They need to emphasize its sporty looks by at least showing what it can look like with stylish paint schemes.
They need to make the turbo option and the turbo retrofit kit available quickly.

when the price of gas increased, the advantage will increase!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
when the price of gas increased, the advantage will increase!
It seems to be that the public never takes that into account. In my point of view a giant fleet of Elios would tend to force gas prices down or at least stabilize them. This is because if the price goes up, Elio Owners will suddenly drive their Elios more often. This is most effective where it is indeed an 'And Car'.

Even though you hear about base price cars, you never get that directly off the dealer lot. Usually these are 2k-5k more than that. You often have to special order just to get a bare bones model, and then they are less negotiable about it. It is easier to get a base-price Elio than a base price Verse, I do believe.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After 5 years of moderate commuting, it's a savings of $9700.
Enough to buy another Elio, or a nice vacation every year for 5 years.
I'm not disagreeing that the Elio is a much better deal as it stands right now, it undoubtedly is. I was just trying to point out that a large portion of the savings is due to the difference in purchase price. If Elio were to go low volume and the price difference between base models was much smaller, an Elio would still be a better deal for a commuter (especially a high mileage commuter), but a similar price makes that value proposition much less obvious. Besides that, the low purchase price makes the Elio far more accessible for those with limited means. Many people don't have the liquidity or access to credit necessary to drop $11k on a vehicle, even if it would end up saving them money in the long term. That all adds up to a market that shrinks substantially as the price goes up.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Once gas prices go up to around $4 a gallon, that 36MPG Versa driving 15,000 miles will cost you $1,666 per year in fuel and the Elio will cost you $714 which saves you $952. Okay, that's only $82 a month but still... that's $82 a month. But, it DOES save 237 gallons of fuel per year!

***Not identified here - Driving the Elio ALSO saves you 22 vs. 38 fill ups!

***You'll fill the Elio up every 16 days but the Versa will get filled up every 9 days.

:)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Once gas prices go up to around $4 a gallon, that 36MPG Versa driving 15,000 miles will cost you $1,666 per year in fuel and the Elio will cost you $714 which saves you $952. Okay, that's only $82 a month but still... that's $82 a month. But, it DOES save 237 gallons of fuel per year!

***Not identified here - Driving the Elio ALSO saves you 22 vs. 38 fill ups!

***You'll fill the Elio up every 16 days but the Versa will get filled up every 9 days.

:)

After reading and figuring all that out, there's only one thing to say

Or you can have the long version of that

Top Bottom