• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Prottype Design

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish they offer a turbo charged version of the engine to up the horses! It'll definitely help getting out of hairy situations and close encounters! I certainly don't want to see my Elio struggling to climb a steep hill while the automatic transmission take it's time to shift gears! That's why I'm getting a manual shift.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A turbo wouldn't hurt mileage too much, depending on the weight of your right foot. I did a stage 2 tune on my '05 Saab 93 Aero's 2.0L 4cyl turbo, bumped HP/TQ from 210/220 to 260/285 and only lost ~1.5mpg hwy, dropping it to about 32mpg. Went back to the stock tune just before winter as the stock clutch slipped a couple times in 5th. She'll get a stage 2+ clutch this summer.
The stock Elio clutch(es) may have to be upgraded to handle the extra torque as well. Sounds like it will get a double clutch setup.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aside from who is a nut cake and who is not,lets get down to what concerns us all. Howcome the P-4 did not have the IAV engine in it? And that would go for the trans-axel, drive line as well. Final mileage readings cannot be determined until the as built duplicates the planned production model, or am I missing something here? RB

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you missed anything there.

Has anyone contacted Elio about this?

We may not see the IAV engine/transaxle installed until production starts. If it is a completely new pkg for IAV, the tooling cost will be too high for a few prototypes. I would think they'd use an existing, tooled pkg for cost savings, but maybe not.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you missed anything there.

Has anyone contacted Elio about this?

We may not see the IAV engine/transaxle installed until production starts. If it is a completely new pkg for IAV, the tooling cost will be too high for a few prototypes. I would think they'd use an existing, tooled pkg for cost savings, but maybe not.
Good point man. By far, this IAV engine is shrouded in mystery because it's the one component of the car that can make of break the promised 84 mpg. But I won't be surprise in the coming days or months when they finally show the real numbers that can be verified so I won't hurry them up if I where you fellas...perfection takes time. We are lucky if they starts rolling down the assembly line by the end of this year so what's the rush?

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMHO, I think we are looking at the last and final prototype (P4). If I have to guess, P4 will be the final body design. They may add a few more "standard" stuff inside and still be within the $6,800. price range. Then I can see them adding more auxiliary lights in the fenders for more visibility a.k. Can Am and of course the much awaited IAV engine!

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No rush other than am 83 and have been monitoring this ELIO for several years and will buy one if I have to be lifted in and out of it by a nurse---so yes , am in a bit of a squeeze time wise!! RB

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No rush other than am 83 and have been monitoring this ELIO for several years and will buy one if I have to be lifted in and out of it by a nurse---so yes , am in a bit of a squeeze time wise!! RB
I understand your sentiment now that I know where you're coming from so stay healthy because it won't be long now!

Top Bottom