• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Questions Anwered Directly By Elio (no Speculation Or Extrapolation, Please)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I posted this on Facebook:

Elio guys,
I've been following for a while and am pretty up to date on everything that is going on. I have a couple of questions to ask though.
1. IAV is developing the engine and the rest of the drivetrain. while I've seen announcements in regards to the engine, all I've seen about the transmission is that we can expect a manual transmission and an AMT that will basically be the manual plus electronic actuators to make shifting similar to an automatic. Got any news you can share about transmission selection/development?
2. I drove by the old GM plant and other than some people mowing the grass, there didn't seem to be much going on. Now, I know external work at the plant is much lower a priority than setting up for production inside. I was hoping to at least see a nice "Future home of Elio" or "Elio Motors" sign somewhere. Despite it not being necessary to produce vehicles, it would be reasuring to see some external proof that Elio is there at the plant. When will you plant your flag, so to speak?
3. Bonus question for reading this far - When will you show the new engine running?
4. Bonus bonus question - since I've typed this much - When will you have the motor, transmission, and body all put together and ready for a debut? (estimate would be fine here)
Thank you for your time,
#3,898

And this was their response:
[Broken External Image]

Elio Motors: Hello Ty!
1. No news about transmission other than we have suppliers lined up.
2. We do not have a date to when we'll start major retooling work at our plant, but our current focus is finishing our engine.
3. We do have a video available to view: www.youtube.com/embed/QkZS1YWPpIE
4. No estimates or news to share at this point, but stay tuned!

There was a follow on question by someone else's Question:

Dean Minzner: It seems to me that transmission details should be available by now. After all, you expected to be producing cars by now.
Like · Reply · 20 hrs

Elio's response:
No response at this time was posted.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like things are progressing. When they start assembling the next vehicles later this summer all those questions will be answered.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like things are progressing. When they start assembling the next vehicles later this summer all those questions will be answered.
I think you are right. I was trying to ask questions that I kind of felt they wouldn't answer directly but by gauging their responses, I was hoping to get a better feel for where they stand.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty,
Thanks for asking those questions.
Many here just assume and spout opinions.
You are one who asked and got a reply.
They are releasing information when things are in the bag, so to speak, and not before. (Other than missed production dates:mad:)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Ty,
Thanks for asking those questions.
Many here just assume and spout opinions.
You are one who asked and got a reply.
They are releasing information when things are in the bag, so to speak, and not before. (Other than missed production dates:mad:)

I believe that issues such as the missed production dates and controversy surrounding other inevitable changes along the way have left them a bit gun shy about releasing detailed information too early. Of course the downside to this is that we now do not get to hear about as many details because people complain too much when changes occur which we all just need to realize is going to happen with such a complex project.

This has even become an issue for the vehicle tour as they are waiting up until nearly the last minute to release details about the exact locations and whether the P3 or P4 will be there as things can change quickly for them depending on media and other types of requests they receive.

Hopefully all this will be resolved later this year when they should be are further along in the development process and have more vehicles available.

Last edited:

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I posted this on Facebook:

Elio guys,
I've been following for a while and am pretty up to date on everything that is going on. I have a couple of questions to ask though.
1. IAV is developing the engine and the rest of the drivetrain. while I've seen announcements in regards to the engine, all I've seen about the transmission is that we can expect a manual transmission and an AMT that will basically be the manual plus electronic actuators to make shifting similar to an automatic. Got any news you can share about transmission selection/development?
2. I drove by the old GM plant and other than some people mowing the grass, there didn't seem to be much going on. Now, I know external work at the plant is much lower a priority than setting up for production inside. I was hoping to at least see a nice "Future home of Elio" or "Elio Motors" sign somewhere. Despite it not being necessary to produce vehicles, it would be reasuring to see some external proof that Elio is there at the plant. When will you plant your flag, so to speak?
3. Bonus question for reading this far - When will you show the new engine running?
4. Bonus bonus question - since I've typed this much - When will you have the motor, transmission, and body all put together and ready for a debut? (estimate would be fine here)
Thank you for your time,
#3,898

And this was their response:
[Broken External Image]

Elio Motors: Hello Ty!
1. No news about transmission other than we have suppliers lined up.
2. We do not have a date to when we'll start major retooling work at our plant, but our current focus is finishing our engine.
3. We do have a video available to view: www.youtube.com/embed/QkZS1YWPpIE
4. No estimates or news to share at this point, but stay tuned!

There was a follow on question by someone else's Question:

Dean Minzner: It seems to me that transmission details should be available by now. After all, you expected to be producing cars by now.
Like · Reply · 20 hrs

Elio's response:
No response at this time was posted.
Living in Louisville there are several guys who know people who work at Ford locally here who are off the entire week between Christmas and New Years for retooling. I don't think that part will take too awful long.
And realistically, I myself do not see them putting together another car or two unless investors get on board and WE the people demand seeing it in more cities.
There have been rumors (some are hilarious) about a P5...IF that happens we may not see it being it will be the crash test dummy model.
As far as what model is the transmission, again I regress to a smart a** comment I made on another post...does it really matter? Did you ask that about the last car you bought?
As long as this car produces at or near the projected figures etc. I am perfectly happy with it.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe that issues such as the missed production dates and controversy surrounding other inevitable changes along the way have left them a bit gun shy about releasing detailed information too early. Of course the downside to this is that we now do not get to hear about as many details because people complain too much when changes occur which we all just need to realize is going to happen with such a complex project.

This has even become an issue for the vehicle tour as they are waiting up until nearly the last minute to release details about the exact locations and whether the P3 or P4 will be there as things can change quickly for them depending on media and other types of requests they receive.

Hopefully all this will be resolved later this year when hopefully they are further along in the development process and have more vehicles available.
I agree. I am patiently waiting to take delivery of my vehicle.;)

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: Hopefully all this will be resolved later this year when hopefully they are further along in the development process and have more vehicles available.

When speaking with Jerome in Chandler earlier I asked when testing would begin.
(Testing, meaning car(s) with IAV motor, production Trans., etc. aka P5) He said
"4th Quarter this year., i.e. Oct. - Dec. this will presage the factory hiring & setup.
upload_2014-7-9_13-1-17.jpeg

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When speaking with Jerome in Chandler earlier I asked when testing would begin.
(Testing, meaning car(s) with IAV motor, production Trans., etc. aka P5) He said
"4th Quarter this year., i.e. Oct. - Dec. this will presage the factory hiring & setup.
View attachment 1803
That jives with the information I got from talking with Mr. Thomas at Technosports Creative. They are scheduled to begin the next production of vehicles in late August, early September. That should also be about the time the engine is ready.

Top Bottom