• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Questions For Upcoming Tour Event Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the great report, Lilly! The atmosphere around these events can be just as important as gleaning some little tidbit of information! I hope they do an event around here at some point though it really wouldn't make much sense to spend the time doing that unless it was just an overnight stay on the way to a larger venue. When I was in Albuquerque, I got to see them at the balloon fiesta and again at Pep Boys when they showed up like they did Wednesday. Fun times.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tongue planted firmly in cheek here.
The VPs were moving it to hide it from the repo man.
Groan.png

Cruel!

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No shit. It's going in the trunk under a shroud to free up room in the engine area. It's all crammed in there with everything else important.
I first heard about and reported on the lead-acid battery relocating to below a trap door underneath the floor of the trunk from Jermaine on the now-laid-off Tour Team in-person at NAIAS 2017 this past January. I remember asking him what led up to the decision to move it, and he either honestly didn't know or couldn't disclose, providing a deflecting non-answer.

Pure speculation on my part, since anything could be in play for any number of logical reasons: change to unibody frame, weight and balance, reconfiguring of engine compartment, modification to firewall or front-end crumple zone, heat dissipation and/or enhanced cooling characteristics, etc. Who knows.

As someone who's aware of all of the buzz generated by and awards/accolades presented to Ford for its 1.0L, 3-cylinder, direct-injected, intercooled, turbocharged EcoBoost powertrain (think late-model Fiesta ST), but also cognizant of the work done by IAV to design a purpose-built engine with engineering parameters meant for propelling a unique vehicle the size/weight of the Elio at optimum fuel economy, as well as an aviation enthusiast who doesn't understand why all engines aren't boosted by taking advantage of otherwise wasted exhaust gas pressure/velocity/energy potential, I'm holding on to the possibility that Precision Turbo & Engineering (PTE), who attended a few of the later Elio Motors Supplier Summits, in concert with Roush Enterprises recommended reconfiguring the engine bay layout in order to accommodate future installation of a modified exhaust manifold, turbocharger, intercooler, oil cooler, and all additional oil, coolant, charge air, and exhaust piping/tubing.

They couldn't have announced that a station for adding the turbo would be left vacant when performing industrial engineering of the assembly line processes if they didn't know what it entailed. They're already beginning to publicly disclose which steps of which stations along the line will perform which specific functions in their most recent Momentum newsletters, so logic dictates that they have a basic idea of how many stations a factory turbo add-on would involve and what steps would be performed, in what order, requiring which parts/tools/fasteners to have on hand, etc. If the VP's at Elio Motors haven't ironed out the finer details, then surely IAV and/or PTE are chomping at the bit to pitch their proposals.

Move that battery! Bring on the turbo Elio!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, That's my report. Some notes: Battery is going in the truck and all lug nuts are going to turn the same way, like normal. Dave & I stayed till 6:30. Through out the day the crowd swelled to 150 people at times. I hope next time they pick a better meeting place, like the middle of the woods or a McDonald's parking lot. EVERYBODY was celebrating, joyful and thrilled to be there. Friendly and up beat. Weather was beautiful. Dave & I ate at Tony Pacos in Toledo and I got home about mid-night. I am so happy I went. Last note, the 'elephant questions' were not asked or they weren't answered. Sorry.
LillyMay no need for sorry. I did see mention of a trunk. :) The elephant questions were too confrontational and not appropriate in that type of setting.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your right. I was disappointed in that. The Sales Team wouldn't of forgotten such a thing. But, these guys were stepping out of their regular duties. They learn a lot about us in the process. At one time I noticed Chip sitting by himself playing on his fancy phone. I sat next to him and asked what was he doing? He was trying to answer like 400 email from people like you & me. We have been bombarding them. People, nothing has changed, we are still waiting on funding, and they want this as much as we do. People say it's not moving fast enough. That's true but it is still very real. For a new start up company with little experience learning the ropes and tackling new shit everyday AND still doing it after EIGHT YEARS, is amazing. We are in good hands. We have something to be proud of.
Thanks LILLY, for all of the information.

Top Bottom