• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Radio Questions/audio Questions

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's a radio?

A "Radio" short for Radio Receiver is an ancient electronic device to receive constant crappy commercials occasionally interrupted by horrible music and social commentary.

Many have been replaced by AUX IN input devices or "Infotainment Systems" (which is a marketing term for "unnecessarily complex media player") but still referred to the colloquial "radio" in modern vehicles.

We now interrupt this horrible social commentary with some crappy music:
(Beyonce marathon commences)

ABC123

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Since I have a fairly decent iTunes library, if the only input was the USB drive, I could be fine with that. Many hours of commercial-free music that way. However, the sound quality of 3.5" speakers will leave a lot to be desired, especially on the low end. For full fidelity, a sub will be necessary. The trunk space may not be able to accommodate a 12" sub, but then again, the interior volume is smaller, too. I'm not trying to win any SPL competition, just produce a nice level sound spectrum from 20-20k. Might be worth going for the enhances 3.5 speakers, just because of the hassle.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With that small of a cabin, a long throw 8" sub would put out plenty of sound. And if you must feel your music, add a rumbler under the driver seat.

I've heard those upgraded 3.5" coaxials and they are decent for what they are. But, I am going to be looking for a spot to put a pair of 5.25" or 6.5" drivers to fill out the midrange.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not in to car audio, but I am an old time audiophile. For what it's worth; if I wanted to add a top quality audio system to my Elio I would look at the "Mark Levinson" brand. I've owned their home audio gear since the late '70s and it's superb. I haven't done a lot of research on their car stuff but from what I understand it is exclusive to Lexus, so I'm not sure if it can be purchased alone. If not, I would first check to see if it could be installed in an Elio and then I would look at the idea or getting one from a wrecked Lexus. This might take some time and effort, but if you love good sound quality it would be worth it....

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since I have a fairly decent iTunes library, if the only input was the USB drive, I could be fine with that. Many hours of commercial-free music that way. However, the sound quality of 3.5" speakers will leave a lot to be desired, especially on the low end. For full fidelity, a sub will be necessary. The trunk space may not be able to accommodate a 12" sub, but then again, the interior volume is smaller, too. I'm not trying to win any SPL competition, just produce a nice level sound spectrum from 20-20k. Might be worth going for the enhances 3.5 speakers, just because of the hassle.
It's an Autocycle. Not a traveling studio. You need to pay attention to the road, not the music.

And this comes from a man who is in the Singing Men of Texas, a quartet, two choirs and taking piano lessons. Music isn't the problem. Allowing it to be a distraction when you're supposed to be operating a vehicle is a problem.

Top Bottom