• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Radio Questions/audio Questions

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the audio equipment has a "special" markup beyond their usual Cost+20%, due to the cost of the wiring harness that all those options will need. Basically, those who choose the enhanced options are subsidizing the wiring harnesses that go in every Elio, to keep the price down to the $6800 target. (Don't take my word as gospel, it's just a theory).

Yes, that extra cost would be the 10% toll that I talked about. The odd thing is that these speakers are billed as a direct replacement for the standard ones which to me means that you unplug the standard speakers and plug these in. I really can't comprehend what the "includes factory harness" would be all about and if nothing is needed then what the heck with the additional up-charge.

I think it will be very interesting to see if price wars break out between what EM offers and what you can simply buy directly from the suppliers. I'm all for EM making money where they can but I hope they are true to sticking to the 10% + 20% markup and that the markup is based off what they buy for vs. what I would pay retail; I don't believe the current configurator price reflects this.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the audio equipment has a "special" markup beyond their usual Cost+20%, due to the cost of the wiring harness that all those options will need. Basically, those who choose the enhanced options are subsidizing the wiring harnesses that go in every Elio, to keep the price down to the $6800 target. (Don't take my word as gospel, it's just a theory).
If that is the case, I thank you very much.

saltydog72

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
All this talk about options is getting me excited, I wonder what the lighted head liner will cost.on another note I don't remember or recall seeing if the side mirrors will heated as standard equipment. Could be a Harry in the winter if not,one would think they would be.

Anyone seen or heard?

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The subwoofer is now $599. Very pricey.

They now say "Thunderform" is also included but the description only talks about the subwoofer.

The picture of the Enhanced stereo is partially obscured at the top. The top portion of the picture is off the screen.

For wheels and transmission, the standard option was included by the configurator. Not so for audio. There is a standard radio included by default but it is not included as an audio option. If it was, we could click on it and learn want its features are.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The subwoofer is now $599. Very pricey.

They now say "Thunderform" is also included but the description only talks about the subwoofer.

The picture of the Enhanced stereo is partially obscured at the top. The top portion of the picture is off the screen.

For wheels and transmission, the standard option was included by the configurator. Not so for audio. There is a standard radio included by default but it is not included as an audio option. If it was, we could click on it and learn want its features are.

"Thunderform" is the name MTX uses for their custom built subwoofer enclosures: ThunderForm Vehicle Specific Car Audio Subwoofer Enclosures | MTX Audio

Last edited:

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm... the Thunder35 speaker upgrade in the configurator is $99.95. It appears that the exact same speaker on the MTX site normally lists for $79.95 and is on sale now for $69.95. THUNDER35 3.5 inch 2-Way 25W RMS 4 Ohm Coaxial Speaker Pair

I would hope that EM would buy the speakers from MTX for much cheaper than what we can buy them at for retail, and if so, it looks like a very nice markup. However, some of that markup might be related to the statement in the configurator that says "includes factory harness".

If the harness is part of the toll road then a $76 cost to em plus a 10% toll + 20% markup is roughly equal to the $99.95.

Not to mention that this would be 'replacing' a less expensive piece of equipment. EM then saves the cost of original and apparently charges full cost.

-sterling

DailyLunatic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but have they stated if the radio with be a "standard" single din? Because for the price they are listing in the configurator I could do MUCH better then 299 for usb + bluetooth. Also was there any details on the subwoofer, will it be custom fit like a JL stealth box or is it going to be a box that sits in the "trunk"? And one last question, has there been any discussion on the amperage of the alternator or if they are using a standard alternator that could be rewound or swapped out for higher output, I only wonder because I use 20-30 amps of power frequently in my current vehicle to run some 12 volt cooking appliances while I'm on the road and if the elio has a tiny motorcycle battery it won't be up the task if the alternator is only putting out 40 amps or something silly like that

Anyone have any idea what the 'standard' radio is like? I have simple needs when it comes to a radio. I mostly listen to AM talk radio when on short commute, or audio books from my MP3 player on longer trips (currently plugged into an FM transmitter).

I don't like the FM transmitter and ideally I'd like to see something like a USB controlled thru steering. In real life, I'm fine with pretty much anything as long as it has an AUX jack.

Unlike other categories, the configurator does not list the default under audio.

Thanks,
-sterling

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what the 'standard' radio is like? I have simple needs when it comes to a radio. I mostly listen to AM talk radio when on short commute, or audio books from my MP3 player on longer trips (currently plugged into an FM transmitter).

I don't like the FM transmitter and ideally I'd like to see something like a USB controlled thru steering. In real life, I'm fine with pretty much anything as long as it has an AUX jack.

Unlike other categories, the configurator does not list the default under audio.

Thanks,
-sterling
They have mentioned in a couple of their news letters the stock radio is an AM/FM/AUX jack, 2 speakers in the dash.
If you need more details, I would try the MTX site and look for a basic AM/FM with AUX

<Update> I've gone to the MTX site and didn't see a single car radio/stereo. Looks like they specialize in speakers, amps, and enclosures. They do make audio systems for motorcycles, marine, UTV's and home stereo; so they are no strangers to rugged demands for audio. The ThunderForm is a specialty item designed specifically certain vehicles; and made to "drop right in" on the vehicles they were built for; that is a higher priced item to do it acoustically correct in a limited space design.

Top Bottom