• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Radio Questions/audio Questions

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Definitely curious to see where they mount the sub. I assume it will be in the trunk.
Maybe in one of those cubbies at the rear of the Elio shown here?
image.png

image.png

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe in one of those cubbies at the rear of the Elio shown here?
View attachment 10693
View attachment 10694
Outside the cabin area? I kind of doubt that.
I believe it was in the area higher up from there in the "trunk" area; yes it will take over a percentage of the small storage area you have.
But what speaker box doesn't?

Arguing about an item like this now is pretty counter productive because I'm sure they will have examples of what it looks like installed when it comes time to order.

a long time ago (like 2 months) when they brought out the Configurator we were all finding fault with it.
We had a member that tried to get everyone to lighten up a little; let's see if we remember this:
By msmith5150
Remember folks, this configurator is like the "beta" stage, probably even "alpha" stage of a development cycle. Software companies do this all the time, especially game developers. There are several reasons to put this out. They want to keep interest going in new ways, they want to "use" us as free testers for the software and the website, and get an early gauge of interest in various items and options. Among other likely reasons.

The site and options and pricing will all change (probably many times) between now and when they call it officially released for use.

So just have fun with it, don't take things on it too seriously! :)

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Outside the cabin area? I kind of doubt that.
I believe it was in the area higher up from there in the "trunk" area; yes it will take over a percentage of the small storage area you have.
But what speaker box doesn't?

Arguing about an item like this now is pretty counter productive because I'm sure they will have examples of what it looks like installed when it comes time to order.

a long time ago (like 2 months) when they brought out the Configurator we were all finding fault with it.
We had a member that tried to get everyone to lighten up a little; let's see if we remember this:
By msmith5150
Remember folks, this configurator is like the "beta" stage, probably even "alpha" stage of a development cycle. Software companies do this all the time, especially game developers. There are several reasons to put this out. They want to keep interest going in new ways, they want to "use" us as free testers for the software and the website, and get an early gauge of interest in various items and options. Among other likely reasons.

The site and options and pricing will all change (probably many times) between now and when they call it officially released for use.

So just have fun with it, don't take things on it too seriously! :)
I think it's fun trying to figure these out, but probably not quite as fun as driving an actual Elio. As far as the cubby goes, I was thinking the installer would cut an appropriately sized hole from the inside and use some sort of baffle. But like you said, it's all speculation at this point, but nothing wrong with that!;)

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect the subwoofer will go under the driver's seat.

You may very well be correct Seth, but I think the volume available for an enclosure would significantly limit speaker size and performance. It would be much more sensible to use the volume of the door or better yet, the combined volume of the shifter/brake area combined with poly ported access to the right side "door area". This might allow a speaker as large as 8" or even 10" to be installed and produce a very satisfactory and smooth extension of low frequency response without absorbing the small amount of interior storage available.

Coss, thank you for the link - I believe the upgrade speaker is the 3 1/2" Thunder35 (guessing here). The MTX site states the bandwidth of that driver is 83-20kHz with no qualifier, with non-professional loudspeakers this is usually taken to indicate the 10 dB down points and would typically continue to fall off at 12 dB/octave or more. This means that an open E on a bass guitar would be reproduced at approximately 22 dB (or more) below the nominal program level - probably inaudible in a vehicle travelling at 55 mph... although it could sound okay at 30 mph or while parked if the high frequency rolloff is a decent match to the low frequency. Psychoacoustics is fun stuff!

Last edited:
Top Bottom