• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Regional Fuel Prices

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, we "camp out" on a pretty regular basis it seems. When the power goes out, there is no scramble to find things, everything is available and ready. Always 10 gallons of gas (and our car fuel tanks) available, 3 or 4 propane cylinders filled, a few bags of charcoal for the emergency grill, and of course a woodstove with firewood. Kerosene for the lamps and battery candles too. With grid power, its amazing how often it goes down, most times for no reason at all. I am putting up solar panels now, just to have some usable power when I need it.
As for infrastructure, not capable, at least in the northeast. Very few buried lines due to surface rock, extremely old utility lines (30ft poles that were there when I was a little kid, and certainly before), rusting transformers leaking oil, the network here is a real disaster. Last year a very small tornado ripped down numerous poles and lines that took two weeks to replace (temporarily tying wires to trees and tying broken poles together), they still have not been replaced. There are still lines down laying alongside the road in many places around here that I pass daily.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, we "camp out" on a pretty regular basis it seems. When the power goes out, there is no scramble to find things, everything is available and ready. Always 10 gallons of gas (and our car fuel tanks) available, 3 or 4 propane cylinders filled, a few bags of charcoal for the emergency grill, and of course a woodstove with firewood. Kerosene for the lamps and battery candles too. With grid power, its amazing how often it goes down, most times for no reason at all. I am putting up solar panels now, just to have some usable power when I need it.
As for infrastructure, not capable, at least in the northeast. Very few buried lines due to surface rock, extremely old utility lines (30ft poles that were there when I was a little kid, and certainly before), rusting transformers leaking oil, the network here is a real disaster. Last year a very small tornado ripped down numerous poles and lines that took two weeks to replace (temporarily tying wires to trees and tying broken poles together), they still have not been replaced. There are still lines down laying alongside the road in many places around here that I pass daily.
Based on that, I can see why EVs might not be the best choice in your neck of the woods. Who the heck is your power company provider? They don’t seem responsive to their customer’s everyday normal or emergency needs. Thumbs up on your move to solar. Note: One of the FUV Club owner members lives off the grid and her solar set up produces all the household energy she needs to include charging her EV.

Last edited:

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Solar is way to expensive for us to think about running much in the house from it. I am putting in a 1Kw system that I am hoping will run a chest freezer, so far I have not got enough panels (watts) or batteries to pull this off. What I am finding is everything in the solar category is almost always out of stock, and if it isnt, the price is three times what it was last month. I see some of these 15-25Kw systems and can only think that these people are rich beyond belief when I see the cost of these components. And no, the utility is not responsive at all, headquarters are based in Germany, all they do is put out fires, sometimes, but they are lightning fast to tell me my payment is late and shut off my meter.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As reported on Fox News, which I can't access, but through Bloomberg, there appears to be a push to control the minimum price of gasoline:
"Columnist Eduardo Porter, called for a "$5-a-gallon floor on gasoline prices." I wonder who will be jumping on this bandwagon!
Make it expensive so it will last longer.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, the push to force EV's on everyone by making it unaffordable (except for the wealthy). Clearly they do not understand how free markets work, or don't care. Didn't work for cigarettes much, ask Bloomberg about the 100% tax on cigarettes in NY. Everyone I know that used to smoke is still smoking, even though that costs hundreds of dollars a month. You have to question the ethics of taxing an addiction as a curb on that addiction. This is why they sell cigarettes individually in NYC. Basically they have created a black market for cigarettes (something the prison system has always had). Will there be a black market for gasoline? Probably.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, the push to force EV's on everyone by making it unaffordable (except for the wealthy). Clearly they do not understand how free markets work, or don't care. Didn't work for cigarettes much, ask Bloomberg about the 100% tax on cigarettes in NY. Everyone I know that used to smoke is still smoking, even though that costs hundreds of dollars a month. You have to question the ethics of taxing an addiction as a curb on that addiction. This is why they sell cigarettes individually in NYC. Basically they have created a black market for cigarettes (something the prison system has always had). Will there be a black market for gasoline? Probably.
I don’t think anyone is forcing EVs. The high cost of gas Corporate greed (Greedflation) is simply making EVs a more appealing option and practical only in the geographic locations that have an updated, functioning, and well maintained grid system. EVs are becoming more affordable and the total cost of ownership may save EV adopters money in the long run. Obviously, not in your neck of the woods. I like EVs, mostly because of performance…….instant torque, quick, fast, and quiet.

Note: Oddly, almost everyone I knew back in the anti-smoking hey days, to include family members, quit smoking, more for health reasons than cost. I never smoked because of cost, I was too cheap and wanted to spend the little money I had on other things like cars (VW Bugs/no gas gauge, but rather a 1 gallon reserve tank lever. Yes, cheaper to own and operate……not fast. :)

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone is forcing EVs. The high cost of gas Corporate greed (Greedflation) is simply making EVs a more appealing option and practical only in the geographic locations that have an updated, functioning, and well maintained grid system. EVs are becoming more affordable and the total cost of ownership may save EV adopters money in the long run. Obviously, not in your neck of the woods. I like EVs, mostly because of performance…….instant torque, quick, fast, and quiet.

Note: Oddly, almost everyone I knew back in the anti-smoking hey days, to include family members, quit smoking, more for health reasons than cost. I never smoked because of cost, I was too cheap and wanted to spend the little money I had on other things like cars (VW Bugs/no gas gauge, but rather a 1 gallon reserve tank lever. Yes, cheaper to own and operate……not fast. :)
Around my neck of the woods, the power company is about as greedy as any gas supplier. And there’s only ONE power company to purchase electricity. Kind of what you’d call a monopoly. I think I see how the switch to EV in my area is going to end up and I don’t think it will be pretty.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Around my neck of the woods, the power company is about as greedy as any gas supplier. And there’s only ONE power company to purchase electricity. Kind of what you’d call a monopoly. I think I see how the switch to EV in my area is going to end up and I don’t think it will be pretty.
My home State has a Public Utilities Commission (PUC) that helps to regulate energy costs. No regulation on big oil that I’m aware of. Hopefully, we can continue to afford to drive our choice of either ICE or Electrics. I could care less what others drive and corporations could care less about anything but profits. Corporate America: By, For, and Of the Corporations. It’s not pretty now, but could get somewhat prettier…….or downright ugly. Note: I’m old and have never seen it uglier than it is right now and our politicians can’t even work together to fix it.

Top Bottom