• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Regional Fuel Prices

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That is INSANE….. you haven’t seen any stations with “out of gas” signs, have you?

Bought some yesterday at a Sam’s Club in Birmingham for $3.89. It’s coming down - but not fast enough to suit me!
3.89 is a good price, compared to some of the places, I'll find out tomorrow what it is here.
But I heard that they are getting ready to shut down a bunch of stations, to do a refit, and that refit is to Electric stations.
So new pumps, dig up and tear out storage tanks, and refit the entire station, timeline is supposed to be somewhere in the next 5 to 8 years.
It's coming, and there's not a damn thing that you can do to change it. Short of replacing your daily driver. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet, say goodbye to gas powered and hello some other mode.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I dont believe it will come to that, but things will be dicey for the next two years. We simply do not have the electrical infrastructure to support that mass migration (of ICE to EV), in either generation or transmission. Hybrid ICE is the most likely future for the next decade. We have rolling blackouts now, mostly unintentional, yet still all too regular. In 2012 we have no electrical service for 3 weeks. Showers were every morning standing by the pool. Half the gas stations were closed. We drove 20 miles to get gas for the generator, and that use was strictly rationed to keep the food in the freezer good, and one light/fan in the LR and TV and internet. Even with gas cheap(er) back then, it was running $40 in gas every two days for the genny. We just had a two hr outage last week, and were warned to expect another yesterday, but the brunt of the storm missed us, so hot showers this morning.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I dont believe it will come to that, but things will be dicey for the next two years. We simply do not have the electrical infrastructure to support that mass migration (of ICE to EV), in either generation or transmission. Hybrid ICE is the most likely future for the next decade. We have rolling blackouts now, mostly unintentional, yet still all too regular. In 2012 we have no electrical service for 3 weeks. Showers were every morning standing by the pool. Half the gas stations were closed. We drove 20 miles to get gas for the generator, and that use was strictly rationed to keep the food in the freezer good, and one light/fan in the LR and TV and internet. Even with gas cheap(er) back then, it was running $40 in gas every two days for the genny. We just had a two hr outage last week, and were warned to expect another yesterday, but the brunt of the storm missed us, so hot showers this morning.
Lots of EV myths out there. Data I read says there is adequate electrical grid to support the growing move to EVs. I was a skeptic, but based on personal experience with driving my first EV over the past 2 years, it’s the way to go…….even if you take the climate debate out of the equation. The most fun, fastest, affordable to drive car I’ve owned in 59 years of driving. The vast majority of charging happens overnight in owner garages…non-peak times. My current monthly charging is <$10. I’ve read the only real issue is the problem with the lack of adequate public charging stations in small towns and rural areas, but Federal, State, and Local funding is making progress by adding chargers. Shell Oil has started adding charging stations to some of their gas stop locations.

Note: I read an article showing data that it takes more kWh to drill for crude, storage, ship in tankers to the USA, storage, process to gas, more storage, tanker truck to gas stations, and pump 30% efficient burning gas than it would to charge the same number of comparable evs. :)

Last edited:

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We just had a two hr outage last week...
Same here. That makes twice this month that I have lost power (for about 2 hours).
The last time my girlfriend started to panic because her phone was almost out of power. I keep an old motorcycle battery charged up for just such an emergency. There aren't enough amps in the old battery to turn over the engine, but there are enough amps to charge a smart phone. I have clips and adapters, so I hooked her phone up to that battery.
Then I grabbed my butane camp stove and heated up water for instant coffee.
I asked my girlfriend if she was OK... She said "All good... I got my phone and I got my coffee"
And peace was restored.

Top Bottom