• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Regional Fuel Prices

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
currently 4.64 around here, plus or minus a few cents. Parked the minivan, now ridesharing my wifes Versa. Looking at bikes again, would love to find an old CB750, or better yet a Kawasaki LTD250. But I have a soft spot for those old Hondas.
I had a 750, nothing wrong with those, good on gas, good on power, comfortable, and you can find one with low mileage cheap.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a 750, nothing wrong with those, good on gas, good on power, comfortable, and you can find one with low mileage cheap.
Still got my ‘91 CB 750 Nighthawk that I bought in 1997. It’s now 31 years old and it just passed a total of 25,000 kilometres this afternoon.

Attachments

• 8FD9ADEF-1CB2-4401-9ABC-434D35E8301C.jpeg
    8FD9ADEF-1CB2-4401-9ABC-434D35E8301C.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 73

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Still got my ‘91 CB 750 Nighthawk that I bought in 1997. It’s now 31 years old and it just passed a total of 25,000 kilometres this afternoon.
Nice bike.... looks like a new one! Never had a Honda, but rode a few. They were all smooth and seemed to be well engineered and well built.
Continue to enjoy it and keep it right side up! ;)

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just paid $3.92 at Sam's. Actually is was $3.91.9..... Like the 1/10 of a penny is fooling anyone! LOL!
It's going down, but very slowly. Most stations are still over $4... When (if ever) it gets back down to $2.99, we'll all think we're getting a bargain. :rolleyes:

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just paid $3.92 at Sam's. Actually is was $3.91.9..... Like the 1/10 of a penny is fooling anyone! LOL!
It's going down, but very slowly. Most stations are still over $4... When (if ever) it gets back down to $2.99, we'll all think we're getting a bargain. :rolleyes:
From a Yahoo search:

With the national average price of gas hovering over $3.50 per week, according to AAA, filling up is no easy feat. You’ll pay an average of $3.531 per gallon (as of Feb. 2, 2022). That number isn’t just painful because it’s so high. If you’re the type who likes round numbers, counting change to the third decimal point just looks wrong.

Yet, there’s a reason why gas prices end in 9/10 of a cent, and it’s costing consumers more than they realize.

Back in 1932, the Revenue Tax Act placed a federal tax of $0.01 on each gallon of gasoline, Mental Floss stated. Back then, when gas prices hadn’t even reached a full dollar per gallon, a one-cent tax would have been substantial — roughly 10% of the total cost of gasoline. Gas stations didn’t want to lose business by raising their prices that much. Instead, they increased the price on every gallon by 9/10 of a cent. Customers hardly noticed. And gas stations were able to continue pulling in the profits.
Two years later, Congress didn’t repeal the tax as it had intended, but increased it by a half-penny, Gizmodo reported. Today, the Federal government collects 18.4 cents per gallon in gas tax, and states collect their own gas taxes on top of that.
Even though it would be easy enough for gas stations to increase prices by a full 19 cents — or even round up to 20 cents per gallon and pocket the profits — they don’t. Several psychology and marketing studies over the past decades show that consumers tend to round down — rather than up — when they see prices. Researchers call this tendency to judge prices based on the numbers before the decimal point as “left-digit bias.” When people see the fractional at the end of a gas price (usually 9/10 of a cent), they don’t notice it at all. Gas priced at $3.19 9/10 is not considered $3.20 a gallon in our mind, but $3.19 (and given today’s prices, even $3.20 would seem like a bargain). When it comes time to pay, that fractional is usually rounded up to the nearest penny.
What would happen if a gas station owner decided to forego the 9/10 and simply charge $3.19? One Texaco owner tried it in 2006, according to Mental Floss. He didn’t gain any additional customers due to his lower price, and lost $23 in revenue for the day, the article stated.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just went down to Alton, VA. In PA is was $4.30/gal. On the way down to VA, it got cheaper (which I expected). On highway 29 to Danville, VA I filled up in Tightsqueeze, VA for $3.79/gal. Yet in Danville, VA it was at $4.19/gal. On the way back, it seems that on highway 29, the gas was hovering around $3.79 to $3.89/gal. The real pain with an RV is that the pumps shut off at $100 and you have to do a reset.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if they bumped that shutoff limit up any after the last hike in 2008, apparently they did, but not much. Still prices around here have stabilized at 4.45, diesel at 5.15, for now anyway. Ordering locking gas caps again for all the cars.

Top Bottom