• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Removing Burn Rings From The Cylinder Face Of A Revolver

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
a tip for old schoolers who have stainless wheel guns .... a while back I received an email from a friend who asked me take a look at this video on YouTube .... while looking at the video I found there are several others showing different methods for removing burn rings .... most of the others involve using things like automotive chrome cleaner and while they appear to work, they carry strong warnings to not let any run onto surfaces other than that being cleaned .... so, I recommended he go with the one in the link .... he agreed and below are 4 pictures showing the results of going with the method used in the video .... the burn rings on cylinder shown have been building up from firing who knows how many tens of thousands of rounds over the last 40+ years and did require some effort to remove .... don't know that I'd try it on a blued revolver but the results below look good and I'm tempted to give it a try on some black exhaust stains on chrome exhaust extension....

picture 1, at the start of the project

picture 2, after about 1/2 hour .... per the video the cleaning was performed in a slow, mild manner

picture 3, after an additional 1/2 hr

picture 4, end result with products used

I'm looking forward to hearing it subsequent cleanings go quicker because there shouldn't be anywhere near as heavy of a buildup

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a tip for old schoolers who have stainless wheel guns .... a while back I received an email from a friend who asked me take a look at this video on YouTube .... while looking at the video I found there are several others showing different methods for removing burn rings .... most of the others involve using things like automotive chrome cleaner and while they appear to work, they carry strong warnings to not let any run onto surfaces other than that being cleaned .... so, I recommended he go with the one in the link .... he agreed and below are 4 pictures showing the results of going with the method used in the video .... the burn rings on cylinder shown have been building up from firing who knows how many tens of thousands of rounds over the last 40+ years and did require some effort to remove .... don't know that I'd try it on a blued revolver but the results below look good and I'm tempted to give it a try on some black exhaust stains on chrome exhaust extension....

picture 1, at the start of the project

picture 2, after about 1/2 hour .... per the video the cleaning was performed in a slow, mild manner

picture 3, after an additional 1/2 hr

picture 4, end result with products used

I'm looking forward to hearing it subsequent cleanings go quicker because there shouldn't be anywhere near as heavy of a buildup

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]
Let us know how it works, I have a couple magnum revolvers and have tried to use solvents with little luck. For some reason the images aren't loading and the YouTube link didn't work on my iPhone so also let me what product your using.

Thanks!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Let us know how it works, I have a couple magnum revolvers and have tried to use solvents with little luck. For some reason the images aren't loading and the YouTube link didn't work on my iPhone so also let me what product your using.

Thanks!

it worked and worked well .... the process did take some effort but as noted, the buildup was from 40 years of firing literally tens of thousands of rounds .... sorry you can't see the pictures

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People actually buy stainless steel framed firearms?

People actually buy revolvers? '

You old timers crack me up. :D
With an estimated 238-276 million privately owned firearms in United states and record gun sales over the past couple years, I would say lots of people still buy revolvers,I know several people that have purchased with stainless and nickle plated revolvers recently.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it worked and worked well .... the process did take some effort but as noted, the buildup was from 40 years of firing literally tens of thousands of rounds .... sorry you can't see the pictures
Good glad to hear that, what product are you using?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
With an estimated 238-276 million privately owned firearms in United states and record gun sales over the past couple years, I would say lots of people still buy revolvers,I know several people that have purchased with stainless and nickle plated revolvers recently.

can you see the video in the link in the opening post ? .... early in the video they mention a special cloth which they said worked but is expensive .... the second method uses Scotch Brite non scratch blue pads and Hoppes #9 .... the key is to go slow with a light rubbing action

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
yes we do .. :cool:

I am of course just kidding. There is actually one revolver in my collection. :D

ncj.jpg

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
can you see the video in the link in the opening post ? .... early in the video they mention a special cloth which they said worked but is expensive .... the second method uses Scotch Brite non scratch blue pads and Hoppes #9 .... the key is to go slow with a light rubbing action
Thanks did search on you tube and found video, I am gonna go buy some scotch pads and also use them on my bumper after a hard pull.

Top Bottom