• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Removing Burn Rings From The Cylinder Face Of A Revolver

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Over here, only criminals are allowed to own revolvers.

That is very unfortunate. Many politicians just do not appear to realize these few simple facts:

1. Law-abiding citizens obey firearm laws
2. Criminals are lawbreakers and thus do not obey these laws
3. Firearm laws impose restrictions on the behavior of only those that follow them
4. Firearm laws therefore only hurt law-abiding citizens by giving the criminals the advantage of being the only ones armed with these weapons

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Over here, only criminals are allowed to own revolvers.
In Texas - and I imagine several other states here in the US, convicted felons may not own a firearm. Five years after the expiration of their parole or probation, they are allowed to purchase a firearm, BUT it may not be carried (nor may they EVER receive a CHL permit). The supposition is that the weapon is to be kept ONLY in the home - for defensive purposes. The only way this restriction can be lifted is by a pardon from the state governor. Unless you have heavy political connections, that's going to be impossible.

But there is a workaround for criminals - a loophole that as yet hasn't been closed: In Texas, a black-powder weapon is NOT considered a firearm (tell that to the last guy who got shot with one). Since the possession limitation concerns "firearms" only, it's perfectly legal for a felon - or anyone else for that matter - to carry a black powder weapon. It looks like this was a sop to collectors of antique guns, but over a hundred years ago, black powder weapons were just as deadly as today's high-tech guns, their only limitations being accuracy at range and six-shot cylinder capacity.

That means there is a whole selection of revolvers and rifles from the 19th Century that can be carried legally with or without a permit, including those being carried by felons. "Antique" is only a state of mind - there's no such thing as "deader". :eek:

I'm considering a futures market in Navy Colts and Single-Action Army .44s . . . :rolleyes:

Black%20Powder%20Revolvers.jpg

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I understand that's an oversight here in Texas, and you can bet more modern revolvers from the Civil War era and onward, especially those using brass cartridges will soon be excluded as well. There were a couple of attorneys on a local radio talk show Thursday representing "Texas Law Shield" that provide legal defense for members, pointing out this current loophole. One of the problems in Texas is that our legislature only meets every two years - so there's a lot of mischief possible before a law is actually tested in court.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I understand that's an oversight here in Texas, and you can bet more modern revolvers from the Civil War era and onward, especially those using brass cartridges will soon be excluded as well. There were a couple of attorneys on a local radio talk show Thursday representing "Texas Law Shield" that provide legal defense for members, pointing out this current loophole. One of the problems in Texas is that our legislature only meets every two years - so there's a lot of mischief possible before a law is actually tested in court.

There are good and bad things about that.
They have to focus on what needs to be done rather than making a bunch of stupid laws that turn us into criminals.
Be nice if the clowns in Washington only met once every two years or when called into a special session for a specified purpose by the President.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As an ex-military heli pilot, used to being responsible for carrying two personal weapons, including a 9 mm Browning semi-automatic pistol and a 7.62 mm Self Loading Rifle (SLR) and later the 5.56 mm fully automatic SA80, I totally agree (apart from the temporarily mentally unhinged but previously law-abiding citizen, which can happen). I also used to be qualified on the 7.62 SLMG (we had one mounted in the right hand cabin door of the aircraft I flew operationally). But the second I gave back my military ID card I was no longer seen as competent or safe to be able to even see a personal weapon, let alone carry one (pistols/hand guns and automatic weapons now totally banned in UK for civilian ownership). But as a criminal you can buy one down the local pub in most major cities if you know who to speak to.
Buying one is not much different here for criminal's and thank GOD and the Constitution it is legal for the rest of us to own and carry them here.

Top Bottom