• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
William, we have found that approximately 25% of ALL reservations are in the $1,000 all-in-one category and those people get a production number. Every reservation holder will get an Elio in the first year but because up until they stop taking reservations, someone could.come in and put $1,000 down in the all-in-one category. That person (lets say that he was the last person of all time to get a reservation in.. he just barely beat the buzzer) will be the last person in the $1,000 category (25%). He will be followed by the first person who put in a $500 all-in-one reservation, then all those $500 guys... then the $250 all-ins, then the $100 all-ins... $1,000, $500, $250, and then $100 I-Want-In people.

The only people who will not be possibly pushed down the line will be the $1,000 all-in-one people because no one can go in for more money. However, every one of the reservations are supposed to be filled the first year.

Here is an interesting possibility:
Let's say you decided to go all in for $500 and are thinking "That Tyguy said that 25% we're all in at $1,000 and that there weren't many $500 or $250 all ins. If they are building at a steady rate, 25% of a year is 3 months which should give Elio time to work out the bugs and I'll get mine the first day of the 4th month."

That's all fine and would work IF they stopped taking reservations suddenly without warning. However, in this freaky example, Elio announced that they could take no more reservations but they were going to give people 2 weeks to upgrade as they wished. Well, 30,000 people collectively thought "I'd rather get an additional $500 off verses $50 (or whatever is 50% of what they put down) so I'm going to upgrade to the $1,000 level right now. Unfortunately, you only had enough bingo winnings to make that $500 all in. Effectively, once everyone else went to $1,000, you just got bumped to the last Elio produced that first year (which would be 9 more months)

That would bite.

I have expected to see the issue you mentioned happen to a lot of people with lower tier reservations as Elio Motors have said repeatedly that they would give some warning before closing out first year reservations. I am sure some people will be upset over this however Elio Motors has given fair warning that they would allow some time to upgrade and this is a fairly logical result of that.

Some people have mentioned them stopping reservations after the first year is sold out. I seriously doubt they will stop but instead what they will likely do is eliminate or reduce the 50% bonus. It would not make any sense to completely stop taking reservations as this buys them more time to complete a mass market rollout.

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
William, we have found that approximately 25% of ALL reservations are in the $1,000 all-in-one category and those people get a production number. Every reservation holder will get an Elio in the first year but because up until they stop taking reservations, someone could.come in and put $1,000 down in the all-in-one category. That person (lets say that he was the last person of all time to get a reservation in.. he just barely beat the buzzer) will be the last person in the $1,000 category (25%). He will be followed by the first person who put in a $500 all-in-one reservation, then all those $500 guys... then the $250 all-ins, then the $100 all-ins... $1,000, $500, $250, and then $100 I-Want-In people.

The only people who will not be possibly pushed down the line will be the $1,000 all-in-one people because no one can go in for more money. However, every one of the reservations are supposed to be filled the first year.

Let's say you decided to go all in for $500 and are thinking "That Tyguy said that 25% we're all in at $1,000 and that there weren't many $500 or $250 all ins. If they are building at a steady rate, 25% of a year is 3 months which should give Elio time to work out the bugs and I'll get mine the first day of the 4th month."

That's all fine and would work IF they stopped taking reservations suddenly without warning. However, in this freaky example, Elio announced that they could take no more reservations but they were going to give people 2 weeks to upgrade as they wished. Well, 30,000 people collectively thought "I'd rather get an additional $500 off verses $50 (or whatever is 50% of what they put down) so I'm going to upgrade to the $1,000 level right now. Unfortunately, you only had enough bingo winnings to make that $500 all in. Effectively, once everyone else went to $1,000, you just got bumped to the last Elio produced that first year (which would be 9 more months)

That would bite.
Thanks Ty, I have been thinking about this leapfrogging effect. Now I have a headache. Once production becomes imminent, it would make sense for everyone to jump to the $1k level.

Blueskybob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Ty,
Great Explanation of the process. The questions I ponder from time to time and no one in the know has answered yet are: (In relation to the reservation process)

1. Is the "first year" a calendar year or a "model year" ? But that I mean will there be a 2015 and then a 2016 or will the first year all be 2016, giving Elio a 15 month or so first year.
2. Will Elio wait to stock their sales outlets until after they fill all reservations? If so, will the outlets not be opened up until they fill the first reservations?

Bob with the Sore Brain :-) #1300

That would bite.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty,
Great Explanation of the process. The questions I ponder from time to time and no one in the know has answered yet are: (In relation to the reservation process)

1. Is the "first year" a calendar year or a "model year" ? But that I mean will there be a 2015 and then a 2016 or will the first year all be 2016, giving Elio a 15 month or so first year.
2. Will Elio wait to stock their sales outlets until after they fill all reservations? If so, will the outlets not be opened up until they fill the first reservations?

Bob with the Sore Brain :) #1300
Good question and one I have no clue about. I would bet that Elio will follow every other manufacturer by introducing models.before the actual year but only producing each model year for 12 months. Ford has the new trucks on the dealership floors around September. In 2014, they'll stop producing 2014 trucks and start producing 2015 trucks. After all, nobody wants to shop for 2014 Ford's when the Chevy dealer down the street is showing off the. 'New' 2015s.

My guess is that Elio will start producing 2016 Elios in September of 2015 and will fill all 'first year production' by September 2016 at which time they will start producing the 2017 Elio... whatever that will be like.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good question and one I have no clue about. I would bet that Elio will follow every other manufacturer by introducing models.before the actual year but only producing each model year for 12 months. Ford has the new trucks on the dealership floors around September. In 2014, they'll stop producing 2014 trucks and start producing 2015 trucks. After all, nobody wants to shop for 2014 Ford's when the Chevy dealer down the street is showing off the. 'New' 2015s.

My guess is that Elio will start producing 2016 Elios in September of 2015 and will fill all 'first year production' by September 2016 at which time they will start producing the 2017 Elio... whatever that will be like.
Personally I hope Paul Elio follows his pattern of taking a different path and we get our 2015 Elios next year and the 2016 are released the following year. I'm tired of the big 3 auto makers dictating their false schedules and our being forced to live by them. It is totally crazy in my completely biased and not at all humble opinion. LOL :-) Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally I hope Paul Elio follows his pattern of taking a different path and we get our 2015 Elios next year and the 2016 are released the following year. I'm tired of the big 3 auto makers dictating their false schedules and our being forced to live by them. It is totally crazy in my completely biased and not at all humble opinion. LOL :) Z
Consumers have done this and there isn't any law against calling a vehicle built in 2014 a 2015 model or even a 2016 model. Unfortunately, the average consumer probably looks at the model year posted and believes that a 2015 is newer than a 2016... which is probably mostly true. It would be nice if they had to call each vehicle model year strictly by the year in which it was produced. That would mean, of course, that people wanting a 2015 would have to wait until sometime after January 2015 to see, much less purchase, their new car. But, it would be nice, wouldn't it?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having lived in three different European countries, my experience was that when you register your vehicle it is registered for the year it was manufactured and not by some arbitrary model date created by the manufacturer

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having lived in three different European countries, my experience was that when you register your vehicle it is registered for the year it was manufactured and not by some arbitrary model date created by the manufacturer
It might be better if car makers labeled their models like software (e.g., 2.05), with the first digit being major components and style, and the decimals being tweaks. This would also help the repair shop tell exactly what parts are under the hood. There is no reason to re-label a car each calendar year.

Top Bottom