• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Retail And Marshalling Centers

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but can anyone enlighten me about 1) At what point does an all-in'er finalize the product as to features and 2) does the purchaser have to pickup the car at a marshalling center and 3) if so what about having it shipped - any ideas about cost say from Shreveport to Central Texas?
Welcome from New Mexico and its miles of great roads for the Elio

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
During the early days of the company, there will probably be many problems to be solved including how the customers receive their vehicles.

Fortunately for Elio Motors, the first customers will be reservationist who are enthusiast, and much more forgiving than the general public, which will be the customers later.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors has stated that its retail and distribution model is as follows: (1) one manufacturing plant (Shreveport) which sends non-optioned base models to (2) seven marshaling centers that are within nine hours from a (3) retail center. First, you order your Elio with any options you want from a retail center in your market (presumably after driving the test models and viewing the options they have at the retail center). Second, your order goes to the closest marshaling center serving your market, which installs your options by midnight of the day you ordered it. Third, your ordered Elio is loaded on a truck and sent to your retail center sometime the next day (since it's within 9 hours of the retail center).

You get notified it's ready for pickup, and having been spoiled by Amazon, you get near instant gratification within 24 hours of ordering. At that point, you pull out your selfie stick and post pictures of you and your new Elio all over Facebook, Snapchat, Eliohaters.com, and wherever else you feel like. You're feeling smug at that point because, let's face it, you've always known this day would come.

At least, that's how it's supposed to work.
First-
Unlike Amazon who uses many delivery options/carriers, Elio will have to contract for a carrier.

2nd- No one yet has adequately explained how the trucks will get back, i.e. the number of trucks on the road will be staggering (also as I learned here they will be dead-ended- returning empty)

By the way, here in Seattle, there are (for some items a 1 hr delivery), and many others 1 day!!
My son-in-law ordered something that came from Nevada and got it within 24 hrs!!
We'll have to see how it unfolds, as the way of the base price, five star test ratings, an "adjustment"will need to be forthcoming. i.e 2-3 days, ??
Either way if you live 3-4-5 hrs from a store, drive up test drive/finance, and go home to come back again the next day with a 2nd car, seems very impractical - Motel/time/travel costs- might be realistic to have it delivered to a closer location, or home delivery.
I like many would like to fly in and show it off all the way back to Seattle.
Unlike Jerome who must have given the same information thousands of times, I think it'll be very cool to have a card made up with all the details, to pass out to prospective buyers and people of interest

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First-
Unlike Amazon who uses many delivery options/carriers, Elio will have to contract for a carrier.

2nd- No one yet has adequately explained how the trucks will get back, i.e. the number of trucks on the road will be staggering (also as I learned here they will be dead-ended- returning empty)

By the way, here in Seattle, there are (for some items a 1 hr delivery), and many others 1 day!!
My son-in-law ordered something that came from Nevada and got it within 24 hrs!!
We'll have to see how it unfolds, as the way of the base price, five star test ratings, an "adjustment"will need to be forthcoming. i.e 2-3 days, ??
Either way if you live 3-4-5 hrs from a store, drive up test drive/finance, and go home to come back again the next day with a 2nd car, seems very impractical - Motel/time/travel costs- might be realistic to have it delivered to a closer location, or home delivery.
I like many would like to fly in and show it off all the way back to Seattle.
Unlike Jerome who must have given the same information thousands of times, I think it'll be very cool to have a card made up with all the details, to pass out to prospective buyers and people of interest
Agreed. Like I said, that's how it's supposed to work and how EM has described it. Whether it actually follows that model remains to be seen. I only have EM's statements to go by. For me, there will be a retail store in my area within 20-30 mins driving. I can wait for delivery, even if it's 2-3 days or a week longer than the idealized scenario. I waited a full year for my smart car in 2008 after I placed an order; I can certainly wait a couple days or more for the Elio.

Top Bottom