• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Road & Track Livestreams A Test Drive Of The P5. And The Fender Falls Off... :(

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio should call Road and Track and personally talk to them. He should thank them for coming, explain the situation, and invite them to test drive it again in the near future when all problems have been worked out.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But it's a show piece vehicle. It is drive-able, but it is not made to be driven. It's entire purpose is to show off. R&T wasn't "reviewing" the Elio, they were given an opportunity to take it for a spin and they decided to stream some live video from their cell phone in order to get some internet clicks.

Rest assured, R&T will get a proper chance to review a truely road-worthy Elio, and none of those problems will be there. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But it's a show piece vehicle. It is drive-able, but it is not made to be driven. It's entire purpose is to show off. R&T wasn't "reviewing" the Elio, they were given an opportunity to take it for a spin and they decided to stream some live video from their cell phone in order to get some internet clicks.

Rest assured, R&T will get a proper chance to review a truely road-worthy Elio, and none of those problems will be there. Let's not blow this out of proportion.
I agree. Of course, to trolls, this will come off as cheerleading but I don't give a crap. Elio set up the P5 for shows. They didn't bother "fixing" the internals because, for one, the P5 DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE RIGHT FRAME! Fixing it and providing a driving experience wouldn't have done much. What would R&T been able to say? "Well, the Elio, with a frame that isn't going to be in production and a suspension that isn't production and an interior that isn't production and fenders that aren't production and tires that aren't production and wheels that aren't production and brakes that aren't production and a windshield that isn't production and windows that aren't even there is a pretty decent car" It just doesn't make sense to work on a design that isn't your current one. That would be like going back to the P3 and "fixing" the fact that it doesn't have the right motor. It doesn't matter.

Now, lest you think I'm SUPER farsighted here, I DO agree that this was an opportunity lost. Sure, tightening up the exhaust and, apparently, fender bolts would have been wise. It's just a shame that R&T won't be reporting somewhere "You've got to see this. THIS is the next 'big' thing in automobiles." or "This thing is the most fun you can have on wheels for less than $8,000!" or something of the sort.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, it is a show vehicle but it is a show vehicle that they gave to a reviewer to drive. The R&T guy was great about pointing out that it was a prototype but as Pistonboy said, it would not have been hard to correct some of the really obvious flaws. It would look so much better if the Elio had not been so flawed.

A couple grand to find the loose exhaust shield, cut and weld the pedals into the proper positions, find and fix the fuel leak. Little things that would have cost virtually nothing but would have gone a long way towards the "You've got to see this. THIS is the next 'big' thing in automobiles."

Sure it did not have to be perfect. Not having working gauges or windows, absolutely fine for the prototype show vehicle. But if doing just a small amount of work would make the experience much better, it should have been done.

That being said, I am very glad that the R&T guys were as forgiving as they were. They seem like they get it and looking forward to them test driving one of the later E-series or fleets.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, it is a show vehicle but it is a show vehicle that they gave to a reviewer to drive. The R&T guy was great about pointing out that it was a prototype but as Pistonboy said, it would not have been hard to correct some of the really obvious flaws. It would look so much better if the Elio had not been so flawed.

A couple grand to find the loose exhaust shield, cut and weld the pedals into the proper positions, find and fix the fuel leak. Little things that would have cost virtually nothing but would have gone a long way towards the "You've got to see this. THIS is the next 'big' thing in automobiles."

Sure it did not have to be perfect. Not having working gauges or windows, absolutely fine for the prototype show vehicle. But if doing just a small amount of work would make the experience much better, it should have been done.

That being said, I am very glad that the R&T guys were as forgiving as they were. They seem like they get it and looking forward to them test driving one of the later E-series or fleets.
Thinking about it a little more, you are absolutely right. This would have been a great use of a couple thousand dollars. The publicity alone could have easily been worth that small amount for advertising. It's quite possible it was so last minute that they didn't have time to fix a couple of things that weren't necessary for regular showings. Although, I hope they use this "real world test" as a reason to get rid of the allen-stock fender retention method they used on the P5.

Has anyone seen the E1A good enough to see how the fenders are attached?

Reaction score
OK, I'm moving on. It happened. The ball was dropped and thankfully nobody was killed. I don't want to see anybody but the tour people driving that pretty little piece again. It is pretty and it does attract people attention everywhere it goes. Heck, I fell in love with it. NO MORE TEST DRIVES. Just keep it pretty and move on.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio should call Road and Track and personally talk to them. He should thank them for coming, explain the situation, and invite them to test drive it again in the near future when all problems have been worked out.
I would bet that something along those lines occurred within minutes of the incident.
Though we most likely will never know what private conversations did, or did not, occur.
I'd be shocked if I found out that didn't happen and THEN I'd feel a genuine cause for concern.

Maybe not so much the near future, and maybe not so much it (the P5) again.
A better idea might be to suggest a later test drive of an advanced fit and finished E-series model.

And just maybe on a test track. :D

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the E1A good enough to see how the fenders are attached?
The E1A has only been displayed at the vendors meeting, and then given to Continental Industries.
It doesn't have headlight and who knows what else.
So unless it's in one of the build pictures, I don't believe anyone can answer that.

Top Bottom