• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Road & Track Livestreams A Test Drive Of The P5. And The Fender Falls Off... :(

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe it was as simple as the "Mechanic" not tightening the set screws on the fender.(fender fell off.)
I already voiced my opinion that the set screws aren't big enough at one of the showings..

My motorcycle trailer has a similar application on the side boards. I use clevis pins with a retainer. Not a set screw. The side board is pinned through the stud.

Reactions: Ekh

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My motorcycle trailer has a similar application on the side boards. I use clevis pins with a retainer. Not a set screw. The side board is pinned through the stud.
I was thinking the same thing. Why they didn't put a simple pin in there is beyond me. In fact, if you had rubber tips on the car's attachment points (those two poles that stick up) and arranged it where you had to press down pretty good to get the clevis pin holes to line up, the rubber would maintain pressure on the clevis thus keeping rattles to a minimum.

In fact, I just asked Elio that same question... well, suggested the change, anyway. I'll come back and let you guys know their response.

Last edited:

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was going take a vacation to Colorado and see the P5 at the Air Force Academy next weekend (Sunday 8/9). If it's not repaired in time and it's not going to be there, I'm changing my plans. I've already seen the P3 & P4.

Ditto, I don't want to drive to see a P5 that is less ready than the P4 I saw in STL:yo:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Get rid of the set screws and put in a clevis pin... they are cheap enough and would be secure. Later, you could even put a locking clevis pin in there for those who want fancy fenders...

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They used set screws for the aero look. Use 1/4' hardened chrome bolts that actually screw into the posts and problem solved.
That would work as well. I was thinking if you topped the car's attach points with a rubber snubber of some sort, you could make it where you had to press the fender down in order to line up the holes which would make a nice, tight fit. It would help eliminate rattles.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Attachment with a bolt (2) is pretty tight.
I agree. I was thinking about the roadside tire swap though. A bolt would be a great way to keep them on as long as it doesn't back out. Swapping fenders every couple of weeks will make those bolts a lot more likely to back out unless you continually replace them or use thread locker. The more I think about it, the more I like the pin idea.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Road and Track (RT) is the pinnacle of car reviews. A lot of people can post car reviews on the internet but they mean nothing compared to RT. It is the most important of all reviews…..and EM blew it.

RT cited several specific problems. These problems did not occur for the first time during this test. They preexisted and were know.

RT said they smelled gasoline throughout the drive. That aroma of gasoline was present before the test meaning it was a known problem and nothing was done to correct it.

RT said the exhaust rattled which it did (we could hear it). That rattle was present before the test meaning it was a known problem and nothing was done to correct it.

RT said the shift linkage was “wonky”. That shift characteristic was present before the test meaning it was a known problem and nothing was done to correct it.

These were all known problems and nothing was done about them. These repairs would have been easy and inexpensive: visit a muffler shop, visit a transmission shop, have a mechanic look at the fuel lines. (I made comment months ago bout the shift linkage found at the Mohave tour stop and simple action needed to repair it. http://www.elioowners.com/threads/mojave-ca-tour-stop.7227/ )

The attitude of some people may be “If EM doesn’t care about their all important center stage, show piece vehicle, why would they care about my vehicle? You can tell people all you want “It is only a prototype” but people will still associate its (P5) quality with the quality of the final product. It is understandable that something is not hooked up and not working yet. However anything that is working should be working properly.

RT bent over backwards to try to make the Elio look as good as possible. They cared more about the vehicle’s image than EM did. Their attitude next time may be: “If EM doesn’t car about the vehicle‘s image, why should I?”

RT is so preeminent in the automotive world, someone of corporate level should have been there along with Jerome. Perhaps Paul Elio himself should have been present.

A favorable review by RT is worth millions of advertising dollars. It is the most important of all reviews…..and EM blew it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom