• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a "young 'un" working at a "full service" gas station, I had a guy do the same thing to me with his '57 Chevy. o_O Walked around the car three times before he felt sorry for me and clued me in on the tail light.
I was in much the same boat when a '58 pulled in, but the guy was probably a bit dissappointed when the young kid I used to be went right to the tail light and opened it. Fortunately my dad warned me about those, so I ended up looking like I knew a thing or two. Thanks dad.

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But, but, but, we're bored!! We have to have some silly little nitpick to tear apart, over analyze, put back together, then rearrange.

Oh, if ONLY we had an actual car to talk about...groan*

Gas cap!? Friggin gas cap could be on the hood ornament for all I care. Hmmm, that might actually look pretty cool if not the safest :p
I had a Renault R10 in Panama in 1980 and the gas filler port was over the hot engine block, You talk about getting nervous everytime I gassed up. That was a neat car, it was buried in the Pacific Ocean twice, the speedometer was rusted at 35 MPH, the horn was a Cessna nose wheel down lock switch, with a totally jury rigged electrical system. I used to have to regularly hand crank it. I wonder if that could be an option with the Elio. It was so nice not having to try to find a jump.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a Renault R10 in Panama in 1980 and the gas filler port was over the hot engine block, You talk about getting nervous everytime I gassed up. That was a neat car, it was buried in the Pacific Ocean twice, the speedometer was rusted at 35 MPH, the horn was a Cessna nose wheel down lock switch, with a totally jury rigged electrical system. I used to have to regularly hand crank it. I wonder if that could be an option with the Elio. It was so nice not having to try to find a jump.

I would love a racheting kick-start like some Honda dirtbikes used to have.

Oldfarmer

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You all have correctly imagined that the gas cap on the side it is on is safer when filling it when you run out of gas on the road. However the example of pulling your wife from a burning car is unthinkable for me. I am recently divorced.
And then others of you have argued that I should never run out of gas, and in my 40+ years of driving I have not, so I was thinking mainly from filling up at the pump... The safer side would be the driver's side. Then in the most typical scenario you would get out on the pump side of the vehicle and stay there out of the craziness of some filling stations' traffic.
And also I would get a visual reminder that my gas cap was off if I went into the station to get something when I came back to the car...
I really like the benefit of not having to go through a divorce...you say the backseat passenger is sitting on the gas tank??.
Good info but I don't want to burn up my Elio! Ex isn't worth that...

Top Bottom