• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Shreveport Plant Tour

hippazoid

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm likely doing factory pickup. As I mentioned in another thread, I have an old friend in Baton Rouge. I hope to pick up the Elio and zip down to BR to make him envious and then head home (SC). :)

The talk of how folks are getting there got me looking into the different possibilities. I can board the Amtrak Crescent about 10mi from the house. I did this for a DC trip a few years ago and it was great to board 10mi from the house and go straight into to Union Station. Here's the kicker, though: One way to Shreveport is $309. O.O

I can hop a flight out of Greenville (hour away) for $260.

Greyhound is definitely the cheapest at $84, but 16+ hours on several busses is not my idea of a good time. hehe

In recent years, my vacation has been to visit my brother in Maine (fairly cheap) with a detour stay of a few days in NYC (not-at-all cheap, but OMG <3). That being said, my late 2015/early 2016 vacation will probably be flying to Shreveport and then trying to convince brother into coming down here for a change. :p

Mentioned earlier in this thread was the question of a break-in period. At this point, that's about the only thing that will change my tentative plan. I can't see driving essentially half way across the country at 50mph or less. :/

Hipp

zarquon

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am sure there will be thousands of us there to pick up autocycle we have put money down on in advance and will have waited a long time for so I believe they will want us all to have a good first experience with our new rides. I highly doubt they would charge us extra for the tour after we spent all that money and waited all that time.

I hope they would be nice enough to arrange a shuttle service to the factory from the local Airport/Train/Bus station even if we have to pay a little bit for the convenience. I have a buddy who is a private pilot and always looking for an excuse to fly so my ideal plan is to pay for his fuel and have him fly me out to Shreveport one morning where I will get a ride to the factory, take the tour, pick up the Elio and begin my journey home. Shreveport is about 600 miles straight down I-20 from Atlanta so I am torn between taking a long leisurely route home or taking the direct route and seeing if I really can make it over 600 miles on the highway with only eight gallons of gas.
You'll have plenty of time to test milage in the months and years to come and only one maiden voyage. Keep that in mind, don't rush your new "lady love".

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm likely doing factory pickup. As I mentioned in another thread, I have an old friend in Baton Rouge. I hope to pick up the Elio and zip down to BR to make him envious and then head home (SC). :)

The talk of how folks are getting there got me looking into the different possibilities. I can board the Amtrak Crescent about 10mi from the house. I did this for a DC trip a few years ago and it was great to board 10mi from the house and go straight into to Union Station. Here's the kicker, though: One way to Shreveport is $309. O.O

I can hop a flight out of Greenville (hour away) for $260.

Greyhound is definitely the cheapest at $84, but 16+ hours on several busses is not my idea of a good time. hehe

In recent years, my vacation has been to visit my brother in Maine (fairly cheap) with a detour stay of a few days in NYC (not-at-all cheap, but OMG <3). That being said, my late 2015/early 2016 vacation will probably be flying to Shreveport and then trying to convince brother into coming down here for a change. :p

Mentioned earlier in this thread was the question of a break-in period. At this point, that's about the only thing that will change my tentative plan. I can't see driving essentially half way across the country at 50mph or less. :/

Hipp
Whoa!!! Where did you hear about a break in period. I've always heard 'Break in a new car/bike at the speed you intend to drive/ride them'. I have searched the forum and found only one mention of beak in, does Elio advise a break in period, if so I may need to extend my time to ride home.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Whoa!!! Where did you hear about a break in period. I've always heard 'Break in a new car/bike at the speed you intend to drive/ride them'. I have searched the forum and found only one mention of beak in, does Elio advise a break in period, if so I may need to extend my time to ride home.
I've always driven that my new cars in my normal hard manner and never had a problem

Dean Marcaurelle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I love the idea of taking the plant tour and watching each stage of my Elio #2225 being built. and then I am really looking forward to the Grand Adventure of me driving home... In a Autocycle, which less then 1% of the people in the United States or World has ever seen on the road before... sounds like a lot of fun.... Vegas will be fun to stop at in my New Elio...

see ya at the plant...:)
I like that idea too, Bring it on!!

Dean Marcaurelle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Will they ship them to a Pep Boys nearest to the buyer? ---or to a "dealer" or to the nearest "Elio Store to the buyer?

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most modern day engines have a break in period of 500 miles. During that time, just drive it moderately, meaning, not like a race car.

In the olden days, break in periods ranged from 1000-3000 miles and instructions varied from "stop and go only" to "long trips at high speed only"

Just don't stomp it while pulling a boat for a few months and you should be fine.

(suggestions do not override Elio operations and maintenance manuals)

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The current web site has nothing about factory delivery there as of today 3 July 2014. They do state that deliveries will be to the retail centers and nothing about to your door or to service locations.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most modern day engines have a break in period of 500 miles. During that time, just drive it moderately, meaning, not like a race car.

In the olden days, break in periods ranged from 1000-3000 miles and instructions varied from "stop and go only" to "long trips at high speed only"

Just don't stomp it while pulling a boat for a few months and you should be fine.

(suggestions do not override Elio operations and maintenance manuals)
Could I Stomp it pulling a kayak, just a little???? "I gotta know'.

Top Bottom