• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Silent Majority...

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did roofing for a summer. It was for business flat roofs. If you are a fan of tar, then that's the job for you. I almost fell through a roof on a refrigerator plant because it had been leaking for such a long time, the wood under it was rotted out. You'd never know because the roof had a layer of sheetmetal that was covered with tar on the seams. It looked fine when on top.

I did learn a lesson, find another profession. I don't know which one was worse, replacing septic tanks gig or that roofing one.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did roofing for a summer. It was for business flat roofs. If you are a fan of tar, then that's the job for you. I almost fell through a roof on a refrigerator plant because it had been leaking for such a long time, the wood under it was rotted out. You'd never know because the roof had a layer of sheetmetal that was covered with tar on the seams. It looked fine when on top.

I did learn a lesson, find another profession. I don't know which one was worse, replacing septic tanks gig or that roofing one.
I spent a summer replacing slates on my three storey house, I have tremendous respect for roofers. Think I would choose septic replacement.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
DSCN5351.JPG

Had my share of sketchy roofs myself this year..

Terrimom40

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of roofers my house is 25 years old we had a storm here in early fall and a few shingles blew off my roof after getting a local guy to come out he said I needed a new roof. But he could repair the missing shingles.
He quoted both repair and new roof. I called several other roofers and they all confirmed the same thing:
A NEW ROOF
So I looked over all the quotes and went the the guy I felt most comfortable with. (He was in the middle of the pack quote wise)
I signed his quote and he asked for the cost of the material as down payment in early september. I still have no roof. I called him several times and he keeps reassuring me he will do the job.
Arrg!

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of roofers my house is 25 years old we had a storm here in early fall and a few shingles blew off my roof after getting a local guy to come out he said I needed a new roof. But he could repair the missing shingles.
He quoted both repair and new roof. I called several other roofers and they all confirmed the same thing:
A NEW ROOF
So I looked over all the quotes and went the the guy I felt most comfortable with. (He was in the middle of the pack quote wise)
I signed his quote and he asked for the cost of the material as down payment in early september. I still have no roof. I called him several times and he keeps reassuring me he will do the job.
Arrg!
Paul Elio brother is a roofer?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
A NEW ROOF
Arrg!
September is still 6 months away, or was it Sept. 2017? Big difference.
He is correct, if he said Sept, he still has 6 months before he's due, he's probably gathering roofing so he can do yours, he needed the deposit so he had some working capitol for the beginning of the year, and figure he'll be caught up by the time he gets to yours. So if you did get it in writing Sept 2018, your both good, at least until that time, but if it was supposed to be Sept 2017 then you have a problem, and it's worth pursuing.
Or am I missing your date line because of the way you stated it? Was he supposed to do it ASAP, and you started dealing with this in Sept?
Lets start again, when was he scheduled to do your roof? (Yeah, good place to start)

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hummm...has this become a roofing forum? :pound:

Why not? Paul was a roofer, besides it’s something we can talk about that maybe some of us know something about. Haha, more of us have been under roofs then we’ve been in three wheeled vehicles....

Maybe we can have a WWPD page? :D

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a roof, windows and siding done on my house 2 years ago. I didn't pay a dime until it was done. Once I told them to go ahead with the work, they were at my house in a week to do the roof first. They started work at 7am and finished at 4pm. They had 8 guys and they cranked it out. It's also a complete GAF roof which gives it a 50 year warranty that's transferable. So, I don't expect to live in this house for another 10 years but at least it'll make it more attractive when I sell it.

Top Bottom