• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Silent Majority...

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not a matter of giving up "hope" on Elio Motors...I only pay attention to tangible results...the word "hope" never even pops into my head...

A successful business plan can not be based on "hope"..but rather an ironclad execution plan that insures sucess...
I really appreciate you participating in the forum, even if it's on the doubting side. Anyway, I'll enjoy this next debate. Your angle of view shadows the impinging challenges.

I do notice something about direct industry experience vs other perspectives. I'm an 'other'. I have no direct industry experience in actual automotive manufacturing, I only have hands on research into concepts and prototypes....and market research.

So my perspective is one of, what is physically possible. But in this case, the focus is 'what is sociably-economically-commercially possible'. Given the track-record of other start-ups you can never feel 100% sure until these things are off the ground. Especially automotive start-ups.

I will point out, you can never !exclusively! use 'normal' inside industry experience to judge 'unique and exceptional' new vehicles. If you did, one would never try anything new. By it's nature a totally new car product is absolutely 'unique and exceptional'. And getting there is always an arduous and surprising path. i.e, never normal.

I think it's a case here more about convincing others, those who have the money, that the benefits far outweigh the risks. It's not at all about how much money was wasted, and never has been. Simply, given the amount needed, can you acquire that? Can you sell the idea?

Anyway, given your input as a representative of an industry, a member of the elite insider, I'd say the money will not come from that sector. (we always knew that was the fact) In the business side of the industry, they have interest conflicts that would want to work against an inexpensive product line. The money will have to come from 'other'.

As far as selling it, Paul has soundly won the customer attentions. And he has sold the idea to everyone else, save one segment. But, that segment, has he sold it to those who can finance it? I don't know, obviously not yet.

We would have to know who that is, once we find 'them'. And once we do, what will their 'normal' experiences be?

The Elio car will benefit everyone in the US except for the major manufacturers, as well as the economy at large.. For the 'majors' it's a low level challenge. So they are not worried, but also not interested. The money with have to come from those who benefit.

So I think that the challenge is showing those benefits. And THAT is what we should investigate and discuss, what are the benefits, and to whom? We already know how it will affect the buyers, but who else, and how else?

I have a list. I'll bet with industry experience, if you tried, you could expand that list greatly.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LaRue said:
competition. Sondors, electromecanica Etc.
I also wish he could have got it done in the original time frame to avoid all this upcoming competition. If he would have, we would have claimed they decided get into the market seeing Elio's success.

Disappointed the date been moved from next year to 2019. My graduate education is suppose to be completed May of 2020. Be interesting to see if I get to drive it to graduation.
Seriously, don't consider either of those competition. Unless they intended to go low-cost-mass-sales. Which they aren't.
When they get on the market, their success only lends credence to the Elio. If they fail, well, that doesn't help.

Last edited:

Dan in Tx

Reaction score
Forum newbie here, reservation holder since 2014.

At this point, I'm not holding my breath. if things go belly-up, hey, I only did a minimum reservation - that won't make me or break me. I do believe in the concept of the Elio as an affordable commuter for a certain demographic (like me: single, never married, no kids - why do I need a four seat car of any sort)? And yes, if the Elio does go through I will gladly honor the reservation agreement and buy it - and probably love it.

But my 2008 Scion xB isn't getting any newer or lower mileage, and I'm going to have to do something soon. My solution: restore a near-perfect 1965 J300 Gladiator I found for a bargain and use it for a daily driver. If I need to make any long-distance trips and don't trust the Scion, I'll just rent a car.

But yeah, Elio needs to realize that as time passes, even if they do manage to get into production, that life moves on and they may lose reservations to attrition. "Gee, seven years ago I *was* going to buy an Elio for my kid to use in college, but he's graduated now and bought his own car". "Gee, I *was* going to buy an Elio two years ago when it was just my wife and I, but now we have a little one and we need more than two seats." That sort of thing.

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forum newbie here, reservation holder since 2014.

At this point, I'm not holding my breath.

Elio needs to realize that as time passes, even if they do manage to get into production, that life moves on and they may lose reservations to attrition.

Your thoughts mirror my own...well stated!

I'm sure a large percentage of the reservation pool has been forced to purchase vehicles as the result of Elio Motors inability to deliver a consumer product...

At this point...we don't actually even know if the Elio prototypes will meet promised specifications if they're ever tested in the real world...

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In defense of Elio Motors' 65,000 reservation 'threshold' from the original business model, it was a good idea and had merit. Setting aside for the moment that that created threshold doesn't readily breakout how many potential buyers were just how serious by how their deposits ranged from $100 to $1000, it did demonstrate that there was a core of interest. Barring extremes, like if there was so little or millions diving in, that 65,000 means very little, now tho, to investors who would intrinsically believe this vehicle would sell well and who could probably be interested in buying one themselves. They would commission and/or rely on other interest barometers, but return on investment (the almighty ROI) is the singular focus and motivation: attrition of the 65,000 is bound to happen and if an investor worried about that, he/she certainly didn't get to this decision making plateau by making good ones.

The future of Elio Motors lies in 5 to 7 unfinished and untested (some obsolete?) prototypes, CAD drawings, a burdensome lease on a huge manufacturing area, a temporary office lease (or agreement), a trailer, and some movable signage. There are no patents (not even Design) and no non repeatable processes.

Paul's arguable 'hold' as majority share holder is rumored to be tenuous and may be transferred to a real estate 'operator.' Not a good scenario as it fosters uncertainty.

Now, EM is looking at getting at least $100 million to get back 'in the fray.' But that amount may not even satisfy the creditors or possibly get swallowed up by strategic stock selling. No one has even broached the potential effect of the dilution of present OTC stock. It remains to be seen if 'small' investors will take a chance with all the historical 'hiccups' and questions surrounding how the earlier funds evaporated.

Elio can fill out all the NASDAQ (and ATVM) forms he wants but it's all in the manufacturing and ROI numbers now.

Last edited:

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Greetings. I just purchased a 2014 Volt with 11,823 miles, and still haven't given up. Will turn 70 next April.
I haven't given up but like I said in a post yesterday. I am looking at another avenue. 78 and holding! I might add that if the Elio is built,I want it.

Last edited:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am seriously looking at getting one of these. My daily commute is generally less than 30 miles, it looks like a nice car for what it is. I have yet to sit in one, probably cuz I'm afraid I will REALLY want one then. Ha ha.

My daily driver just turned over 240,000, it still runs good (but no working a/c boo), so i am still waiting patiently for the Elio. Just don't know how much longer I will wait to pull the plug (<--yup, there it is) and get a vehicle.

This is the kind of "reporting" that has really peaked my interest. I like the fact that one can daily drive on the grid, but yet can still venture out when the desire hits.

I also have the stock, $1k down, signed the commitment to buy one @ $7k. It has FUN written all over it!

If this Elio project doesn't move forward in a positive fashion by the end of this year, I may entertain the thought of the Volt for real.

I need to believe for the greater good of us all! Go Elio!!!
I too got tired of waiting and purchased a CPO 2014 Volt. I am fortunate enough to no longer have a commute and the 45 - 50 miles I can squeeze out of the battery is more than enough to cover my daily driving. I did take an 1800 mile trip and averaged 43+ mpg. At least 1/2 the trip was up an down the mountains. I am extremely happy with the Volt. It is the best of both worlds. Electric driving with no range anxiety :)

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, went out and bought a Mazda MX5 roadster this week. I've given up hope for Paul and crew.

Fantastic, they are so much fun. I bought mine last year and could not be happier. Still looking forward to an Elio some day to commute with and turn the MX5 into a motor-swapped weekend monster, but enjoying the topless commuting for now.

Top Bottom