• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Slowest Vehicle

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My slowest was a car I built from scratch back in the early 80's. Used a Triumph Spitfire chassis with 19 hp Yanmar diesel with a homebuilt foam and fiberglass body. I was shooting for 100 mpg when I built it. Didn't make it. 75 mpg was my best. I could still drive to work 6 weeks on a tank of diesel. 0 - 60 was between 30 and 40 seconds but once up to speed you could cruise at 65 to 70.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gosh, I don't think I had any really slow daily drivers. Best-worst choice would be my 1962 VW bug. Now if you want to talk about colors sooo bad they were good, Yep, pale hospital green 1962 VW bug. Or wait, I also had a 1963 dark blue (think AirForce-truck blue) VW bug with red front fenders.

Now that you mention it, do motorcycles count? A black 1966 Honda Street 90. Almost a moped really. It would go 68, if I tucked down and the wind was right. Some downhill would help too.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slowest vehicle I drove was the 3 wheeler I built and drove to work. Just a neighbor's farm about 3 miles away. It beat walking.
The next slowest, and street legal was the farm truck. We called it the turtle. Dark Green where they was any paint. 1962 ford f350 . 292 engine 4 speed with granny as first gear. maximum I would take it was 50 mph, the engine was really screaming at that speed. Had to drive it to high school when it was the only thing I had runing for a few months. The weakest was the 1964 falcon 3 speed on the column, a little 230 cc 6 cylinder. needed a clutch one a year, or more.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My slowest was a car I built from scratch back in the early 80's. Used a Triumph Spitfire chassis with 19 hp Yanmar diesel with a homebuilt foam and fiberglass body. I was shooting for 100 mpg when I built it. Didn't make it. 75 mpg was my best. I could still drive to work 6 weeks on a tank of diesel. 0 - 60 was between 30 and 40 seconds but once up to speed you could cruise at 65 to 70.
Got any pictures of that?, sounds neat, my generator uses a Yanmar diesel, I see people convert motorcycles using them, but never seen anyone put one into a car..

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slowest vehicle I drove was the 3 wheeler I built and drove to work. Just a neighbor's farm about 3 miles away. It beat walking.
The next slowest, and street legal was the farm truck. We called it the turtle. Dark Green where they was any paint. 1962 ford f350 . 292 engine 4 speed with granny as first gear. maximum I would take it was 50 mph, the engine was really screaming at that speed. Had to drive it to high school when it was the only thing I had runing for a few months. The weakest was the 1964 falcon 3 speed on the column, a little 230 cc 6 cylinder. needed a clutch one a year, or more.
Hey! I had a 1960 Falcon 4 door! (bought it for $100 in 2009 with no engine. Eventually, I shoehorned a 1986 Mustang 302 with an Edlebrock carb in there (the engine WAS fuel injected but I wanted a carb).
003 (2).jpg

I stopped mid-project after doing the bodywork and painting just a little colonial white on it to see if I'd like it that color. I should have kept that car. I don't think the front wheels ever pointed in the same direction though. They'd start out okay but then they would get out of alignment. I put it in a car show in the "under construction" category. People have a very different opinion of what that actually means. I could have put it in the 1960's category but there were about 30 Mustangs/Camaros in that category. I was the ONLY Falcon in the show and I have YET to see a four door like mine on the street! I was told that original motor had just enough umph to get up a hill but required you to stop to get it into first before the attempt. My 302 did NOT have that problem... original size tires and wheels and no outward way to tell it was a V-8 under the hood... good sleeper almost.

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My last ticket was for going 2 mph under the minimum speed limit .Officer Khan got me on radar at 3 am in the morning .What a complete azz

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A '57 VW work van belonging to a TV shop where a buddy and I worked in high school. 40 hp, 53 mph top speed . . . you stayed off the freeway.

Motorcycle - a pair of 50cc Zuke trail bikes, that given about 10 miles of flat straight road and still air could hit an indicated 44 mph with my 250 lb body aboard in the "Bonneville" position, chin on the tripletree, feet straight out behind.

Indiana Dave

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey! I had a 1960 Falcon 4 door! (bought it for $100 in 2009 with no engine. Eventually, I shoehorned a 1986 Mustang 302 with an Edlebrock carb in there (the engine WAS fuel injected but I wanted a carb).View attachment 6535

I stopped mid-project after doing the bodywork and painting just a little colonial white on it to see if I'd like it that color. I should have kept that car. I don't think the front wheels ever pointed in the same direction though. They'd start out okay but then they would get out of alignment. I put it in a car show in the "under construction" category. People have a very different opinion of what that actually means. I could have put it in the 1960's category but there were about 30 Mustangs/Camaros in that category. I was the ONLY Falcon in the show and I have YET to see a four door like mine on the street! I was told that original motor had just enough umph to get up a hill but required you to stop to get it into first before the attempt. My 302 did NOT have that problem... original size tires and wheels and no outward way to tell it was a V-8 under the hood... good sleeper almost.

Pretty soon you will have the Elio in a car show..hopefully you won't be the only one!

Reactions: Ty
Top Bottom