• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Something’s Gotta Give.....

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Imagine if someone asked if Elio was going to offer an automatic. Then Paul responds with, "People don't get it, they don't need an automatic, so we are only offering a manual." At that moment, Elio Motors is out of business. I know the manual only people would disagree because manuals are better and everyone should be driving them but the fact is, 97% of Americans choose automatic. Elios sales just went from 250K/year to 7.5K. I seriously doubt one single person here would want that because it's business suicide for Elio Motors and they definitely would not be driving around in theirs come 2019.

For Jerry Kroll the answer should have been, "At this time we will not be able to offer AC but we are working on it for a future offering." That sounds better than telling people that, "They don't get it."

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the fact is, 97% of Americans choose automatic.

The problem with this statement is that 97% of Americans DON'T choose automatic. 97% of all new cars only offer automatic!
With few exceptions vehicles that do offer manual only offer it with the smallest engine available, and less than 3% want that.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem with this statement is that 97% of Americans DON'T choose automatic. 97% of all new cars only offer automatic!
With few exceptions vehicles that do offer manual only offer it with the smallest engine available, and less than 3% want that.

It's actually true. My sister in law runs a Buick dealer and a few years ago there was a sports sedan they made and it got rave reviews because they offered it in a manual. GM got lots of likes and positive feedback because they would buy a Buick because it was one of the few left with a manual. GM made an initial run of 1000 and sold just over 400 in the first year. That Buick is actually a German Opel thus it had a refined and top notch manual in it. I drove one and it was really nice but even at her dealer, the two they got, one sold within the first day and the other became her company car because it sat for a year on the lot.

Even BMW now offers automatic only and you can order a manual as a no cost option. The reason is, the manuals sit on the lot forever. People that are manual only will just order it and wait 6 weeks.

A few years ago my neighbor bought a brand new 2 year old Honda CR-V. That's because it was a manual and sat on the lot for 2 years. Funny part is that the transmission took a dump 4 years later. It was a layshaft bearing that went out, so nothing to do with hot rodding or not knowing how to drive a manual. That was a really expensive fix because no parts were available for the transmission and it took 2 months to find a used one.

In the end, dealers are tired of having that manual just sitting there because people won't buy it but for some reason online, they say they will.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is wrong with their CEO? Not arguing, just curious.
He's argumentative with customers. Jerry has canceled some reservations when that reservationist didn't agree with Jerry's misstatements regarding his own SOLO specifications. That mentality gives me no confidence in how he would deal with warranty and future customer service issues. He has a take it or leave it business model, so I decided to leave it as a customer that actually likes the EMV product.
IMG_9876.jpg

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another thing that doesn't tickle my fancy is that everyone hates big corporations, utility companies, oil, etc. So when we have all electric cars, won't that give more power to the electric cars?!
Good overall post straight from a younger perspective.
However, concerning the part I quoted, I wouldn't worry.
The oil industry is slowly buying up the electric providers.

it will be the same ol' crap - different day.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Imagine if someone asked if Elio was going to offer an automatic. Then Paul responds with, "People don't get it, they don't need an automatic, so we are only offering a manual."
Kind of like how long it took Paul to drag his feet in getting rid of the Elgin dash in the face of the overwhelming market reaction to it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom