• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Somewhat Tough Questions...

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You right Folk, it does not matter what we call the Elio and there is no point. So whats the point of defining the Elio as an Autocycle. Just wanting chat with the Elio Owner club.:) I did find the site you are asking for, see above.
Thank you and Merry Christmas.

CherylM

Elio Fan
Reaction score
So whats the point of defining the Elio as an Autocycle?

It's a middle ground for picking and choosing what laws to apply. In Virginia, that means registered & inspected like a motorcycle, licensed like a car, and tolled like a car. No free pass on the HOV express lanes for the Elio, but other than that it's a positive development.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome from Oregon, TexasElio. The Elio is not an automobile. The Elio is an autocycle. Are you also familiar with motocyle specs? I hope you will read the many informative posts on here before judging based on your automobile background. There are differences well worth learning about. My guess is you have followed the Elio closely within the box of your knowledge rather than with an open mind. This is an exciting adventure. I sincerely hope you can enjoy it. :) Z
It isn't an automobile, but people will drive it like an automobile and expect it to handle like an automobile. One of the things TexasElio mentioned was vibration testing. I know that I, for one, won't buy the thing if it means spending an hour and a half each morning in a giant massage chair!
"With any new engine design...you have to do cold-soak followed by cold start tests, and hot-start tests, and high altitude, and combinations of the two, and wet weather, and freeze/thaw. And you have to do some testing at wide open throttle, and at idle, because they both have limiting conditions for engine wear. It takes months. And that's only the engine. Then there's the transmission, then there's the suspension and chassis, and the electrical systems, and the interior. You have to make sure the vehicle will survive salt-spray environment, and slush and snow, and desert sand, and rain. You have to make sure the ABS and stability-control systems work properly on pavement, and wet pavement, and gravel roads, and on snow and ice, and bumpy roads. You have to make sure the air bags don't fire off when they shouldn't, and do fire when they should.Than there's long term durability studies...actual crash testing has to be performed...etc...etc...etc...the list is long and time consuming."
So...without it's own R&D department...who is going to supervise such endeavors?
Well, the engine is already in testing on the dynamo, which is being done by the company that actually produced the engine: IAV.
I'm aware that an engine has been designed...and is currently undergoing validation testing...but the lack of news from Elio regarding the status of the new engine is disconcerting...
In your years of industry experience, how often do major auto manufacturers provide public updates to testing a new powertrain?

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ride will probably be more of a sports car feel, than a luxury car. With the pull rod scissor type lower mount at the bottom of the coil over shock, I actually believe a superior handling will be the result. The "leaning" in a corner will actually help keep the Elio level, as the frame mounted part of the "scissor" will be pulling downward on the opposite side of the vehicle.
I love the double wishbone set up, especially with the unique pull rod shock system.

(edited, because I love Christmas time eggnogg and can't spel fur shyt 2nite)

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the excellent input I received after my first posting ...

So here's my tough questions for today...

Is Elio Motors completely dependent on sub-contractors...or does Elio Motors actually have it's own R&D (research & development center)...if so...where is it located...how many engineers are employed by Elio Motors...are there project managers in-house that supervise the design & development of the Elio Vehicle...and finally...are there any photos avaible showing the work environment and project development process in their R&D center?
You said: So here's my tough questions for today

I am surprised you didn't say: So here's my tough questions for today, children.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

This is my first posting on this forum...

A bit about me...I'm ...and a huge automobile enthusiast!

I've been blessed to have owned more than a hundred vehicles in my lifetime...and have every intention of owning an Elio when & if it actually comes to market...assuming it meets the promised specification's...

I have not placed a advanced reservation deposit at this time...my 30 years of automobile experience has taught me that the first year of production of any new vehicle is always a work in progress...resulting in numerous improvements to the product in the 2nd year of production...

I have followed the Elio story closely the last several years...and Elio's slow progress to unveil production ready prototypes has me very puzzled...

I'm involved in over a dozen different automotive forums...and I have a reputation for asking tough questions...

So...The Elio Vehicle is less than 12 months to the promised production date...and the design work is still not finalized.The automotive industry has numerous standards related to NVH via SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers). Elio Motors has not indicated whether they will be meeting or utilizing these standards. The major automotive manufacturers go through extensive design and testing processes to address NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) issues. So is Elio Motors utilizing these standards to develop their vehicle?
You said you were "a 30 year veteran of the auto industry".

What is your experience? Were you chairman of design or production committees, or did you tighten bolts with a wrench on the assembly line?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You said you were "a 30 year veteran of the auto industry".

What is your experience? Were you chairman of design or production committees, or did you tighten bolts with a wrench on the assembly line?

Ouch! Tough crowd!:eek:
I'm a "wrench turner" with 30+ years on aircraft, and I promise you that I know pretty much everything 'engineering-wise' about the process. We've (wrench turners) been included in every major/minor change to the present design (F-15) for our input on tool design to egronomics during fabrication to station placements of new/redesigned parts. I'm currently the lead in my department, and the only collateral inspector for the departments on either side of mine. I talk with (work related and non-work related) engineers of every possible discipline every day, and they consistently ask for my (our - wrench turners) input....with the exception of a few arrogant jerks (usually newbie engineers), they don't add a fastener to the blueprint without checking with us first. Don't assume all 'blue collars' are clueless dipsh*ts.

Top Bottom