• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sondors Electric Car

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$10,000 for 50 mile range? How far with the heater on?
Yeah, I agree. I don't think there will be many 50-mile Sondors sold
Pre-orders start soon and there will be 100 and 200 mile range options. ;)
Just as EM will have options on everything except their manual transmission base model.
Brings up another good question: How will A/C affect the Elio's mpg? Anyone?
The last indication I remember is that the Elio A/C will be belt driven.
They do have that giant capacity alternator in there though.

The Sondors will also have A/C.
Good question about the heater's affect on range.
They've just completed and shipped the first prototype to the US.
And they have projected expected ranges for acceleration and top speed.
But I don't think they've done enough tuning and testing to answer your question.

I believe, unlike EM, they'd rather provide proven specs than simulations.

Last edited:

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now, put that hub motor on my Elio's rear wheel... Use the battery for acceleration 0-15 or so and then the gas takes over. You'd get a much quicker Elio AND incredible range!
Elio cannot even maufacture the gas only version, and no funds exist to do that. I wonder how Storm got the Sondors prototype built so fast?

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone can get a prototype built without a lot of money. Didn't Sondors get something like a million dollars from his crowdfunding? It can't be hard to get a prototype built for a million. How many hot rod or prototype shops are there that do just that sort of thing? He's going to need quite a bit more money to finalize the design and make it manufacturable. And then need a lot more money to actually build it in volume.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone can get a prototype built without a lot of money. Didn't Sondors get something like a million dollars from his crowdfunding? It can't be hard to get a prototype built for a million. How many hot rod or prototype shops are there that do just that sort of thing? He's going to need quite a bit more money to finalize the design and make it manufacturable. And then need a lot more money to actually build it in volume.
The SEC filing that I posted states that they've earmarked $20M for the production prototype and related development, testing and tooling.
I believe the actual cost for the Italian-built concept prototype was just over $750k. https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/...nrept2.pdf
No, they will not "then need a lot more money to actually build it in volume." They are going to farm production out by bid. It will be OPP.
Keep in mind that the Chinese and GM are currently producing and selling their own 4-wheeled EV in China for $5300 USD RETAIL.

Besides EM's efforts being concentrated on a dog-and-pony show...
This could very well have been one of the Elio's fundamental flaws.

The Elio lacked serious engineering for years.
Yes, EM is trying to use mostly off-the-shelf N. American parts.
But they're trying to re-invent the wheel from scratch, so to speak, at Shreveport...
While they've tried to do an imitation of herding cats with an incredible amount of suppliers.

Honestly, sometimes I also think the never-ending EM promotional campaign was a disaster.
It was a lot like putting more energy into producing an alternative fuel than that fuel ultimately produces.

It seems to have cost exponentially far more money than it raised.
It seems to have drawn money, time and effort away from designing the vehicle.
And it seems to have put them in a position of having to build the first 65k units near cost.

Something I'm sure potential investors found to be a factor in the decision to invest or not to invest.

EM may have produced more of a popularity contest than a real effort to design and build the autocycle itself.
And they surely made the whole process far too complicated for what they claim is such a simple vehicle.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Building it in large volume is the key for EM to at least see some profit but at 65K reservations, it's nowhere near enough to get the investors excited in my opinion only. 300-400 reservations then yes, it'll get the investor's attention.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_8487.JPG
IMG_8486.JPG

acentre

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's always complicated when you have to work with the government rules, regulations, and restrictions.
I do not think it was the government rules that hurt Elio. Too much money spent on engine development and marketing a product, touted as being almost ready for delivery.

Top Bottom