• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sondors Electric Car

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Again, not fair to compare an ICE vehicle to an EV.!
It's really not comparing vehicles, I.C.E. to Electrics, but rather comparing vehicle startup companies, their business models, and their CEOs ability to build a driveable prototype and deliver the first reservationist vehicle followed by production numbers to deliver additional vehicles to meet market demand. Although the Sondors doesn't meet my wants, its an amazing looking prototype build in terms of design, engineering, and fit & finish with custom parts designed to fit the prototype build in less than a year and $1Million in funding.

There is a vehicle startup STORM a brewing...........as in Storm Sondors.......and we should give him some credit for progress to date.

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the one totally electric vehicle that I think I could get on board with. If it becomes available any time soon I will have to take a hard look at it. The only issue is the lack of any kind of EV infrastructure where I live.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is the one totally electric vehicle that I think I could get on board with. If it becomes available any time soon I will have to take a hard look at it. The only issue is the lack of any kind of EV infrastructure where I live.
You can't force yourself to like or even love EV when it don't fit your needs which is very understandable. The ELIO which is rated at 84mpg (on paper) and a range of 600+ miles between fill-ups (on paper) is what you need to wait on-that is if you plan in using it as your daily ride- available in 2019 that is when funding is found sooner than next year which is critical to get everything set up at Shreveport including the engine assembly lines, stamping dies, so on and so forth. If you want to just supplement your existing ride, then these new EV trikes coming in next year is something to consider. Choice is totally yours.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only issue is the lack of any kind of EV infrastructure where I live.
For the most part, you don't need EV infrastructure. There's no "infrastructure" where I live, and I'm loving my Bolt. Install a level 2 charger at your house, and kiss gas stations goodbye. I've only visited a DC fast charging station once, and that was before I got my level 2 charger installed. The public DCFC stations are fast, but very expensive. Once you have a charger at your house, you just plug in your car every night, and never need to worry about public chargers. You have a full charge every morning.

If you rent, rather than own, then you have a much different situation to think about. Maybe your landlord will let you install a 220 line in a rented house, but I doubt they will let you do it yourself, so it will probably cost anywhere up to $1,000 plus the charger itself. But if you live in an apartment, you're probably stuck with level 1 charging, which is just a standard 120VAC wall outlet. Slow, and not good for long distance commuters.

FWIW - A "level 2 charger" is a fancy name for a 220VAC line, just like the one to an electric stove or an electric dryer, and a special purpose charging unit. The charger will run you about $600. If you can install it yourself, maybe $100 of supplies.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the most part, you don't need EV infrastructure. There's no "infrastructure" where I live, and I'm loving my Bolt. Install a level 2 charger at your house, and kiss gas stations goodbye. I've only visited a DC fast charging station once, and that was before I got my level 2 charger installed. The public DCFC stations are fast, but very expensive. Once you have a charger at your house, you just plug in your car every night, and never need to worry about public chargers. You have a full charge every morning.

If you rent, rather than own, then you have a much different situation to think about. Maybe your landlord will let you install a 220 line in a rented house, but I doubt they will let you do it yourself, so it will probably cost anywhere up to $1,000 plus the charger itself. But if you live in an apartment, you're probably stuck with level 1 charging, which is just a standard 120VAC wall outlet. Slow, and not good for long distance commuters.

FWIW - A "level 2 charger" is a fancy name for a 220VAC line, just like the one to an electric stove or an electric dryer, and a special purpose charging unit. The charger will run you about $600. If you can install it yourself, maybe $100 of supplies.

You could always plug into your 230V. dryer outlet if your 230V charger required 24 amps or less. Although a dryer outlet is a 30 Amp receptacle, the load should be not be more than 24 Amps (80%) for constant duty. (No Elios have been harmed by this expression of my opinion)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

220v ? I'd think I'd have to let someone else wire that, don't feel like being a crispy critter.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I'm well aware of that; I just don't like sticking my fingers in places that can bite that hard.
Lol. The electrical panel/box is your friend Coss!:D Switch off the area you would be working on or if not sure, heck switch it all off then you can safety stick your fingers err...do your wiring. Then the fun part is switching everything back on....if nothing explodes in a shower of sparks,you're good to go! :D

Top Bottom