• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sondors Electric Car

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A year ago I helped a friend put in a 220V charger in his garage. What made it really easy was that the panel box was in the garage and there was no drywall on that wall (running the wires was really easy). His house has a 300A service because originally it was all electric. He had a new HVAC system put in and went with oil heat boiler system thus it opened up some space in the box and overall amp load. We actually used the same 80A circuit that used to run the heat strips in the heat pump (it even had an open 60A for the old electric hot water heater). He bought whatever wall charger that would work for 80A. So, his level 2 charger works quite well.

He has a BMW i3 with the range extender. He bought it used for $14K and it only had 20K on it. he does a 80 mile round trip for work. best part is, at work there's a 110 outlet by the corner of the building and they let him charge it there during the day. It's back up to 100% after he's been at work for an 8 hr shift. At home it takes 3 hours if the battery is almost dead. Over the past year he's put over 20K miles on it and his bill for oil and electric for the house (along with charging the i3) is down 20% from when it was all electric just a year ago. The i3 has used 2 gallons of gas in a year.

I make fun of him because he converted his house to diesel and his car to electric. I told him that he should have bought a BMW diesel and then use the home heating oil in it (as it's not taxed).

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A year ago I helped a friend put in a 220V charger in his garage. What made it really easy was that the panel box was in the garage and there was no drywall on that wall (running the wires was really easy). His house has a 300A service because originally it was all electric. He had a new HVAC system put in and went with oil heat boiler system thus it opened up some space in the box and overall amp load. We actually used the same 80A circuit that used to run the heat strips in the heat pump (it even had an open 60A for the old electric hot water heater). He bought whatever wall charger that would work for 80A. So, his level 2 charger works quite well.

He has a BMW i3 with the range extender. He bought it used for $14K and it only had 20K on it. he does a 80 mile round trip for work. best part is, at work there's a 110 outlet by the corner of the building and they let him charge it there during the day. It's back up to 100% after he's been at work for an 8 hr shift. At home it takes 3 hours if the battery is almost dead. Over the past year he's put over 20K miles on it and his bill for oil and electric for the house (along with charging the i3) is down 20% from when it was all electric just a year ago. The i3 has used 2 gallons of gas in a year.

I make fun of him because he converted his house to diesel and his car to electric. I told him that he should have bought a BMW diesel and then use the home heating oil in it (as it's not taxed).
Where the heck can I buy a gently used i3 for $14K?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Granted, there are several glaringly obvious differences between Sondors and Elio, but the point is this – building cars is hard. Does Sondors have what it takes to prove the naysayers wrong? We’ll find out eventually.
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/other...8699.html?mc_cid=4c94006d1a&mc_eid=2e65028ba1
Designing, engineering, and building a driveable Prototype isn't hard for a company that specializes in building prototypes. SONDORS has little auto design and engineering background, but was smart enough to contract with an Italian firm that had a Team with proven skill sets and a track record to get it done with a $1 Million budget.

What's hard is getting from the proof of concept prototype, to an engineering performance and handling testing prototype, to validation, to a production model, parts sourcing, and funding to set up a manufacturing facility to crank out vehicles. SONDORs has a tried and proven development and build to order manufacturing business model based on his successful SONDORs Electric Bike business venture. Those that have seen the SONDORs prototype say the fit and finish is as good or better than indicated by the photos. Does SONDORs have many naysayers? I would be a likely naysayer candidate, but was so impressed by the completed custom prototype build I'm speechless up until the completion of the next phase prototype. If it's performance and handling track testing data is proven to be as good as it looks, I'll remain speechless. :)

I won't buy one, but I like it.

Last edited:

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Designing, engineering, and building a driveable Prototype isn't hard for a company that specializes in building prototypes. SONDORS has little:D auto design and engineering background, but was smart enough to contract with an Italian firm that had a Team with proven skill sets and a track record to get it done with a $1 Million budget.

What's hard is getting from the proof of concept prototype, to an engineering performance and handling testing prototype, to validation, to a production model, parts sourcing, and funding to set up a manufacturing facility to crank out vehicles. SONDORs has a tried and proven development and build to order manufacturing business model based on his successful SONDORs Electric Bike business venture. Those that have seen the SONDORs prototype say the fit and finish is as good or better than indicated by the photos. Does SONDORs have many naysayers? I would be a likely naysayer candidate, but was so impressed by the completed custom prototype build I'm speechless up until the completion of the next phase prototype. If it's performance and handling track testing data is proven to be as good as it looks, I'll remain speechless. :)

I won't buy one, but I like it.
Rick, very well said, but as a friend of mine once said!(Don’t believe everything you think) and I add (Never say Never) :p

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We seem to be tied up and too busy with non-issues and non-sense.
But whenever there is a need for something,
China seems to have no problem with being able to do it.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We seem to be tied up and too busy with non-issues and non-sense.
But it whatever is needed, China seems to have no problem with being able to do it.

Looks like the Chinese visionaries have chosen to make China Great by encouraging the development, support of new technologies, and belief in Can Do science. Who woulda thought. With that said, it could be a Chinese official fake propaganda video.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like the Chinese visionaries have chosen to make China Great by encouraging the development, support of new technologies, and belief in Can Do science. Who woulda thought. With that said, it could be a Chinese official fake propaganda video.
No such luck.
This is the source link.
https://www.facebook.com/ScienceNaturePage/
This FB page spotlights some absolutely amazing new technology.

Top Bottom