• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...why didn't they use one of those for the Solo? See? Now, you are wondering too.

The likely answers are...
It's Canadian and closer to an Urban vehicle, plus under Canadian rules. There is a reason the Zenn came out of Canada. A lot of parts on that and the Zebra were from China.

So, it maybe they have different supplier types that Elio can't or won't use. For American freeway ready cars I'm not even sure a 2speed control is even available. Golf carts might have that but those parts are directed at lower production levels.

Some of these designs don't scale well and so you don't get much of a price break. It is also likely that at this volume of production the price between a 2speed and variable speed is hardly anything.

For the better control there is also a 'minimum' order. The Mecca isn't at that volume level so they have to take on a different trail of decisions. i.e they may have bought import parts, quality - buyer beware.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The likely answers are...
It's Canadian and closer to an Urban vehicle, plus under Canadian rules. There is a reason the Zenn came out of Canada. A lot of parts on that and the Zebra were from China.

So, it maybe they have different supplier types that Elio can't or won't use. For American freeway ready cars I'm not even sure a 2speed control is even available. Golf carts might have that but those parts are directed at lower production levels.

Some of these designs don't scale well and so you don't get much of a price break. It is also likely that at this volume of production the price between a 2speed and variable speed is hardly anything.

For the better control there is also a 'minimum' order. The Mecca isn't at that volume level so they have to take on a different trail of decisions. i.e they may have bought import parts, quality - buyer beware.
But... Does the Elio have multiple speeds and or variable speeds?

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how it is on bugs? I did a trip to Spokane, and driving through the Medical Lake area hit just a cloud of bugs.
I went to the car wash when I got to town and they sent me through twice because of how thick the layer of bugs were.

I read things that say with a system like this it would be hard for anything to stick to the glass. I also remember reading that once it was perfected and in mass production it should cost under $15 a car.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But... Does the Elio have multiple speeds and or variable speeds?
OK, I bit the bullet and posted the question to Facebook, so check it via google in a few hours or days.

Arak Lea~: Will the Elio (wiper )have a multi-speed control? In particular will one of the speeds be variable or are all of them fixed?

2barrel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 58 VW bug had a 6 volt one speed electric wiper motor. Worked great in warm weather. The only problem was the winters here in Massachusetts. The defroster was so bad that the Windows froze on both the inside and out. Had to have the passenger scrape the inside on ski trips. Glad the Elio is not air cooled, just hope its predicted production date, late 2017, isn't just hot air.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It needs a small transducer connected to the windshield that vibrates the glass at about 30khz. Much like many military airplanes do, with the vibrating nothing will stay on the glass and there is nothing to block your vision. I know McLaren was working on system like this so they could do away with the wipers.

I wonder if it works on bird crap. I live close to a big berry farm.

I wonder how it is on bugs? I did a trip to Spokane, and driving through the Medical Lake area hit just a cloud of bugs.
I went to the car wash when I got to town and they sent me through twice because of how thick the layer of bugs were.
Just REJEX the windshield while your doing your E and fugitaboutit ☺
Don't need no stinking wiper :p

Top Bottom