• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see you've never met an APPS writer. I'm still trying to figure out why we need 4,800 clocks, calendars, and system info apps to add to a phone.
Seriously, it's to pad resumes. Putting a bunch of apps out there in different stores shows you're a serious developer and worth hiring.

Dragonz

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Seriously, it's to pad resumes. Putting a bunch of apps out there in different stores shows you're a serious developer and worth hiring.

If that is so, why would they need to go under the table to sell the info they obtain from the app? That doesn't make any sense to me, and even seems a little illegal

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dude, lighten up! I've been around since people understood the phrase "The only debugging tool a REAL programmer needs is a soldering iron!" (That and "REAL programmers get their dinners from the vending machine!" and "REAL programmers wear hiking boots, in case a mountain should suddenly spring up in the machine room!", not to mention that real programmers remember when the machine room really held machines like tape punchers and card readers.)

Speaking of debugging and semicolons, you need to put an apostrophe in "their mother's basement" in order to prevent running into an infinite loop. ;)

Funny thing is I can still remember loading databases by creating a paper tape on a 35ASR and feeding it into a tape reader to put it on an old (I think) 14" disk platter. Not to mention using a terminal with a built in modem to write programs in real time into an old MUSIC time share system.
Wow! that sure takes me back.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny thing is I can still remember loading databases by creating a paper tape on a 35ASR and feeding it into a tape reader to put it on an old (I think) 14" disk platter. Not to mention using a terminal with a built in modem to write programs in real time into an old MUSIC time share system.
Wow! that sure takes me back.
At one time in my distant past I could read punched tape like this.
image.jpeg

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
At one time in my distant past I could read punched tape like this.
View attachment 9237
I remember the yellow tapes, and the bin with all the "dots"
I was doing programming in HS and we used a teletype to connect to IIT; we used to pay for compiling time by the minute.
I went to Standard Oil after HS and worked part time there, also worked at Calumet National Bank as an analyst until they caught me playing a horse race game on the night shift with the other tech (I wrote it with all random number generators). I was given the choice to leave or get fired because they thought it was creative; plus the way I hid it in a subroutine; but they could allow things like that in a bank.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember the yellow tapes, and the bin with all the "dots"
I was doing programming in HS and we used a teletype to connect to IIT; we used to pay for compiling time by the minute.
I went to Standard Oil after HS and worked part time there, also worked at Calumet National Bank as an analyst until they caught me playing a horse race game on the night shift with the other tech (I wrote it with all random number generators). I was given the choice to leave or get fired because they thought it was creative; plus the way I hid it in a subroutine; but they could allow things like that in a bank.

Ah Ha! You had the ever popular chad-less tapes. Lord what a mess when someone spilled a chad catching bin.
Most of our 33 and 35 ASRs were chaded tapes. The 28ASRs at our teletype test board were all chadless.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah Ha! You had the ever popular chad-less tapes. Lord what a mess when someone spilled a chad catching bin.
Most of our 33 and 35 ASRs were chaded tapes. The 28ASRs at our teletype test board were all chadless.
Try "accidently" dropping them out of a 3rd story window just as school was letting out ;)
Or loading a balloon with them, put it in a locker, blow it up, and rig a pin to push into it just when they open a locker door :becky:

Ahhh good times, good times :barbershop_quartet_

Top Bottom