• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or stuffing about a half a chad box worth into the defroster vents of a co-workers car. This was at Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage Ak in winter. Everybody's default start up procedure is start the car, blast the defroster. It was quite the cloud of chad.

The car was one of those beater cars that tends to get sold off every few months as people transfer in and out of the base. The following winter the guy that owned it was still getting the occasional bit of chad fly out of the vent.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dude, lighten up! I've been around since people understood the phrase "The only debugging tool a REAL programmer needs is a soldering iron!" (That and "REAL programmers get their dinners from the vending machine!" and "REAL programmers wear hiking boots, in case a mountain should suddenly spring up in the machine room!", not to mention that real programmers remember when the machine room really held machines like tape punchers and card readers.)

Speaking of debugging and semicolons, you need to put an apostrophe in "their mother's basement" in order to prevent running into an infinite loop. ;)

Johnny Ringo!
image.jpeg

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's been years since I thought about those paper tapes. I was the backup TTY operator when our regular lady was out . . . I got the job (in addition to my regular media chores) when someone discovered I had (minimal) experience with AP and UPI teleprinters for the news services. As they say, "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king", so I became the go-to guy for sending overseas teletypes. By the early '80's the transmission speeds finally exceeded the "66 speed" (50 baud) rate and the chunk-chunk-chunk rhythm of the newsprinters that was the signature of every newsroom on the planet. I was impressed by the newer machines' CRT and editing capabilities featured in the last generation of teletype machines. Still they used that paper tape, and by the end of the day when you had to send out a number of overseas quotes, there were little coils of tape secured by a paperclip all over the desktop heralding a late night for the operator. Within a year, fax machines had become standard worldwide and the teletype went into retirement.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That scene with DeNiro in the film Taxi Driver is one of THE classic improvised movie moments. Apparently the director just wanted to hear him talk in character to see how it all (costume, makeup, character) came together on film. It so powerfully captured the character that the director put it in the final cut and it has become one of the great cultural themes -- people who have never seen the film still recognize the line. (The other major improvised line is Dustin Hoffman's "Hey! I'm walkin' here!" from Midnight Cowboy.)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget "Dead man walkin" from the Green Mile
And you can never leave out "do you fell lucky ....... punk?" Clint Eastwood and darn it, I forget the name of the movie I think it was Dirty Harry
Both of those were non scripted lines; they just happen to fit the moment during filming.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget "Dead man walkin" from the Green Mile
And you can never leave out "do you fell lucky ....... punk?" Clint Eastwood and darn it, I forget the name of the movie I think it was Dirty Harry
Both of those were non scripted lines; they just happen to fit the moment during filming.
Who are those guys?BC&SKid...

Top Bottom