• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Takata Air Bags ....seriously?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe cars, or at least all the components, weren't meant to last as long as they are now...

Could the air bag headline be re written as? ............
"Research indicates that explosives exposed to temperature and humidity extremes over time may deteriorate and detonate erratically causing injury or death."
Hmmm! Seems like that's why the bomb squad is called in to dispose of old explosive devices.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Generally speaking in this age of infinite litigation , manufacturers are quick to recall any real or perceived defects in their design. I have a 2013 Fusion . I have literally received 4 recall notifications for this car .

1- Airbag warning indicator could illuminate without cause
2- Seatback frame bracket not in compliance with Federal standards
3- Floormats that can interfere with the accelerator pedal
4- Potential impairment of steering control

In each case , no accidents or injuries have been attributed to these "defects" . Granted , I want to know if my car has an inherent problem and needs to be addressed but Gee Whiz . All this nonsense only serves lawyers interests . And we wonder why a Chevy Malibu costs $27,000 :doh:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
When I worked at Chrysler in the mid 70's I asked a regional rep about recalls; what he told me was "a number of recalls are issued yes, because there is a "potential" danger, but it also gets people back to the dealership showroom to look at the shiny new cars that are that so much better than what they are driving now".
How's that for sneaking marketing.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My concern is not whether Elio should drop Takata as a supplier, but if the Feds new requirement for Takata to change their airbag propellent will cause an increase in price. Parts price increases could adversely effect the bottom price of my Elio.

Top Bottom